Geckos & Rat Poison

JusMe

Last week, I spotted a small rat in my living room. (Probably came in through an open door, as I leave them open most of the day.) I immediately sprinkled some rodent poison (warfarin) around. Yesterday, I noticed that it had all disappeared, right down to the last little crumble.

This morning, I saw what was probably the same rat - no ID, but probably - near the wall. He stayed long enough for me to get a broom and bash him with it, then toss his body over the fence into some bush.

I still have that warfarin sprinkled around the walls of the house, but am a bit concerned that the geckos might go for it. I avoided using a glue plate because I didn't want any of them stumbling into it.

Any idea if they'd be attracted and eat any of that poison? How long should I leave this stuff sprinkled around the house?

Thais call the larger ones Taykos, I still call them geckos, big and small. biggrin.png

In any case I don't think they pick their food from the floor, I think they catch their food so they should be fine.

I do have a tokay occasionally in the attic and coming out above the deck to try to aim "something" into my beer, but I chat to him and enjoy his company. Wish he was around more. If he gets big enough to go after rats, all the better.

I think the smaller geckos (jing jock) like live insects best, although I used to have a gecko living under my couch which would come out to check what I'd dropped on the floor after clapping my hands over something flying by.

I do hope they don't touch any of that warfarin, as I like having them around, but must try to keep clear of the rodents.

• Like 1