Skype to ditch Skypemate - any good alternative?

jko

After the enjoying ultimate convenience of being able to walk round my house and garden receiving and making Skype calls with a VOIP phone, Skype recently announced that it will kill its Skypemate compatibility, which made this possible.

The axe will fall on Skypemate next month, date of execution not known.

Apart from using a Smartphone app, does anybody know of other alternatives to using Skype this way?

I hate sitting at a computer wearing earphones...

I've never really understood why people use Skype as a VOIP replacement. Why not just use VOIP? It's cheaper, compatible with everything (including people who only have a landline phone and no PC), doesnt depend on proprietary software, has no ads and should continue to work with any hard or soft VOIP phone indefinitely.

Skype is free computer to computer anyway and something like $80 a year for unlimited Skype to phones in Thailand. Pretty hard to beat that I think.

Edited by rotary
  • Like 1

rotary, on 28 Nov 2013 - 13:45, said:

Skype is free computer to computer anyway and something like $80 a year for unlimited Skype to phones in Thailand. Pretty hard to beat that I think.

It's also free mobile to mobile, if you have an internet connection, same as computer to computer, you can also call mobile to computer and vice versa.

I've never really understood why people use Skype as a VOIP replacement. Why not just use VOIP? It's cheaper, compatible with everything (including people who only have a landline phone and no PC), doesnt depend on proprietary software, has no ads and should continue to work with any hard or soft VOIP phone indefinitely.

Not a really we'll thought out statement on your part, skype is probably the popular VOIP supplier out there and being able to phone unlimited to 30+ countries on landlines and 10+ for landlines and mobiles for about $15 as well as free PC to PC, app to app calls it's hard to beat although quality is a bit crap at times.

Well technically, Skype is VOIP, so could you elucidate?

Not really. Unlike VOIP Skype is a proprietary system that requires proprietary software and is not compatible with third party hardware like phones.

I find that there are many real VOIP services that offer me more than Skype does for less money, though I suppose for some people who make vast numbers of calls to certain destinations Skype may be cheaper. It certainly would not be for me.

Not a really we'll thought out statement on your part,

That depends on your point of view. From my point of view it is very well thought out.

skype is probably the popular VOIP supplier out there

I wonder if that is the case. For example, how many big national or international call centres use Skype? How many Skype-compatible full-size or mini- switchboards are there for sale? Or even Skype-compatible hand phones for that matter? For VOIP/SIP there are hundreds of different models from dozens of manufacturers.

and being able to phone unlimited to 30+ countries on landlines and 10+ for landlines and mobiles for about $15 as well as free PC to PC, app to app calls it's hard to beat although quality is a bit crap at times.

VOIP/SIP also offers free PC to PC/app to app calls. I get a free DID from one of my SIP providers. With Skype I would have to pay for this. And from my second SIP provider I get unlimited calls to 99 landline numbers in 40+ countries every month for the equivalent of 60 Baht (this is vastly more calls than I would ever make). Skype would cost me more than this.

Even if I paid for my calls by the second I would still be better off using my current SIP provider rather than Skype. And of course Skype wont even work with my Cisco VOIP phone anyway, though the phone is completely compatible with every proper VOIP/SIP provider on the planet.

Not a really we'll thought out statement on your part,

That depends on your point of view. From my point of view it is very well thought out.

skype is probably the popular VOIP supplier out there

I wonder if that is the case. For example, how many big national or international call centres use Skype? How many Skype-compatible full-size or mini- switchboards are there for sale? Or even Skype-compatible hand phones for that matter? For VOIP/SIP there are hundreds of different models from dozens of manufacturers.

and being able to phone unlimited to 30+ countries on landlines and 10+ for landlines and mobiles for about $15 as well as free PC to PC, app to app calls it's hard to beat although quality is a bit crap at times.

VOIP/SIP also offers free PC to PC/app to app calls. I get a free DID from one of my SIP providers. With Skype I would have to pay for this. And from my second SIP provider I get unlimited calls to 99 landline numbers in 40+ countries every month for the equivalent of 60 Baht (this is vastly more calls than I would ever make). Skype would cost me more than this.

Even if I paid for my calls by the second I would still be better off using my current SIP provider rather than Skype. And of course Skype wont even work with my Cisco VOIP phone anyway, though the phone is completely compatible with every proper VOIP/SIP provider on the planet.

I think Chicog was asking about specific providers? Also I presume these are services paid for outside of Thailand?

Skype is VOIP

What people who phone a lot should do is use Skype for talking to people who have Skype and use a standard voip service to talk to people via their phone line (land or mobile), because other providers are 50% cheaper than Skype.

In Asia, Line is getting really big, and also allows talking.

I think Chicog was asking about specific providers?

There are many. I mostly use Sipgate and OVH. Others may be more suitable for other people.

All much of a muchness really, I can do all the VOIP I need on Skype, mostly for nothing.

All much of a muchness really, ....

Well, not really. Hence my comments. If you want a DID on Skype you have to pay quite a lot for it and you cant use any soft or hard VOIP phone with Skype as you can with SIP. Skype offers no PABX functions either.

Both sip and skype are voip. Voip does not mean sip as implied in previous posts.

Skype is extremely good in most situations, it works simply and easily. Sip can be more complicated depending on providers.

Skype does have both hardware and software pabx available too. And fax. DID numbers. Video...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All much of a muchness really, ....

Well, not really. Hence my comments. If you want a DID on Skype you have to pay quite a lot for it and you cant use any soft or hard VOIP phone with Skype as you can with SIP. Skype offers no PABX functions either.

Like I said I don't need one, all my Skype contacts call (or video call) me by name from their smartphones.

As for PABX, who needs one of those in your house? Or do you live in a really big mansion?

Both sip and skype are voip. Voip does not mean sip as implied in previous posts.

SIP is a non-proprietary form of VOIP as I mentioned. Skype is a proprietary form.

Sip can be more complicated depending on providers.

Certainly not in my experience.

Skype does have both hardware and software pabx available too. And fax. DID numbers. Video...

It has DID at a price as I mentioned. I prefer to pay much less for it. Never seen or heard of a PABX for Skype, and indeed the whole point of this thread appeared to be that one of the few hardware phones that works with Skype is going to stop doing so. Personally I prefer a solution that doesnt depend on a proprietary protocol.

I dont need or want video for phone calls.