special deals on used cars now, what's the catch ?

drx13

wanting a used car I went to a number of larger places and was surprised, maybe misunderstood, that vehicles were available for deposits around 10%. Payments up to 4 years. I would use a local friend to buy. Seems too good to be true. Please comment. Also they seem very unhelpful in viewing registration book details, even a copy, as I'd like to see how many/type of owners. Thank you

I wouldn't touch a used car in Thailand (unless from a trusted friend) especially as they are usually priced at 80% of new.

In the last half hour I have been offered a 2013 Honda Amaze..NO Deposit ! 7xxx pmonth for yonks, from private Thai.

20,000 Baht to change name in book.

Surely there is much amiss here

This has been discussed many times recently, glut of used cars due to government new car schemes and recent flooding..

Thank you very much..must be genuine then, I am relieved.

Looking at a Camry 2008 430,000 baht

Well the flooding issue is something to be keenly aware of.. The other cars are a mix of trade ins and probably some repos for those who couldn't make the payments on their government new car scheme purchases..

" Well the flooding issue is something to be keenly aware of.. The other cars are a mix of trade ins and probably some repos for those who couldn't make the payments on their government new car scheme purchases.."

This is why I am keen to see the registration books for where the car was used. Is this perhaps a reason for the reluctance to show ?

This has been discussed many times recently, glut of used cars due to government new car schemes and recent flooding..

My 1st thought is it could be much older than 2008 and Imported and book issued in Thailand in 2008.. how much do you know about the model? Toyota s have many face lifts, go to another place or Toyota Sure and see if there is any difference to there 2008 model.. normal genuine 2008 model range from around 560.000 - 700,000 depending on spec model... so 430,000 even for a base model appear very cheap..... Ex Private Taxi ?

Cars I have looked at over the years there has never been a problem in viewing the Blue book or copy..

i wonder how many that bought new,got the tax rebate,then try and sell private,expecially when somchai next door buys a new one.

buyers BEWARE.

Actually, wonder if they don't receive the rebate, is it still a requirement to keep the car for 5 years? I'd think not as it's also a breach of contract by the government.

I have 90% decided to pay cash for a new March/Mirage ? or similar, in early January (for 2014 registration).

I am hopeless at bargaining for extras or free insurance sometimes mentioned, so any advice please.?

My only hesitation now is that if I do buy a pig in poke for say 350,000 Baht, I would have about 150,000 Baht to put it right, seems a bit dumb/risky to myself but again any comments please..could I be lucky and get a "good" one.?

I don't know if there are any reliable private vehicle examiners here (Pattaya), if so would be very useful.

BTW I googled Toyota Sure and it's all in Thai..well it is Thailand.

Edited by drx13

I have 90% decided to pay cash for a new March/Mirage ? or similar, in early January (for 2014 registration).

I am hopeless at bargaining for extras or free insurance sometimes mentioned, so any advice please.?

My only hesitation now is that if I do buy a pig in poke for say 350,000 Baht, I would have about 150,000 Baht to put it right, seems a bit dumb/risky to myself but again any comments please..could I be lucky and get a "good" one.?

I don't know if there are any reliable private vehicle examiners here (Pattaya), if so would be very useful.

still gives you an idea 2008 top 2.4 V model and 966,000 baht

http://www.toyotasure.com/wanttobuy/wanttobuy_detail.aspx?nID=86867&nSID=3

still gives you an idea 2008 2.0 G model and 880,000 baht

http://www.toyotasure.com/wanttobuy/wanttobuy_detail.aspx?nID=35603&nSID=3

way different than 430,000 baht..

still gives you an idea 2008 top 2.4 V model and 966,000 baht

http://www.toyotasure.com/wanttobuy/wanttobuy_detail.aspx?nID=86867&nSID=3

still gives you an idea 2008 2.0 G model and 880,000 baht

http://www.toyotasure.com/wanttobuy/wanttobuy_detail.aspx?nID=35603&nSID=3

way different than 430,000 baht..

...no bullet holes?!... w00t.gif

• Like 1

Good decision i think. You can get a new Mirage/March for 430,000 with free insurance and a 3 year warranty, no worries. Why take the risk second hand? Most of the small extras they will just give you if you look undecided.

• Like 1

If you are buying second hand, don't automatically believe the information / dates in the blue book, thats just the registration.

You should be able to check the manufacture date of the car from the chassis number (VIN).

Checking the tyre age may also give away a clue or two.

Buying a second hand car comes with risks, but not every second hand car out there is a lemon. I'm on my 4th car in Thailand and the three cars I sold were in great condition. I'm sure most others are selling cars that are also in excellent condition... its the small percentage of dodgy motors that has us worried - thus diligence is key. Ensure that if the car is still under warranty that the warranty will pass over.

If buying second hand I'd try and take a friend who knows a lot more about cars than I do.

When buying new: You should be able to negotiate and get a few things thrown in.

- Insurance (1 year)

- Window film / tint.

- Mats

- Optional Extras (cosmetic body / trim parts etc)

- Car cover (sometimes)

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Starting to loook like a Brio

I wouldl ike to see specs of

different makes models in English to compare

Have tried some makes for info

The one who actually replies, if any,will get my business.

How much would it cost them to have website with proper English translations ?

Google cannot translate jpg files of course.

Starting to loook like a Brio

I wouldl ike to see specs of

different makes models in English to compare

Have tried some makes for info

The one who actually replies, if any,will get my business.

How much would it cost them to have website with proper English translations ?

Google cannot translate jpg files of course.

This one is So-so for price and info in English http://www.siamnewcar.com/home_en.php

best is to go to the showrooms and see what you feel comfortable in........ if I wanted a small eco car guess would be a Suzuki Swift.... The Honda Brio I just don t fit, the Nissan Almera is nice but seat are very small..

In English... not a bad size for the money... http://www.protonthailand.com/index.php?action=saga_price〈=

fine if you are keeping for some years but 2nd hand value on near new poor http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=a07130393

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

i bought a vios trd.sportivo a very nice car.but if you are set on a march/mirage there is one of each owned by neighbours the mirage is very noisy and the march looks more stylish.

as ignis says the suzuki swift would also be my choice.

• Like 1

i bought a vios trd.sportivo a very nice car.but if you are set on a march/mirage there is one of each owned by neighbours the mirage is very noisy and the march looks more stylish.

Wow.. one of the disadvantages of our societies "The Dilemna of Choice". Just to digress, I was working in China umpteen years

ago and each morning the workers lined up for the same thing every day, a bowl of flour. They then could decide to make it into round or flat noodles.EVERY DAY !

As priviledged guests, someone fashioned ours into little ducks that floated on the broth.

However perhaps I should do a Luke Rhinehart.."The DIceMan" if you haven't read it welll...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

Back to the car/s

I find only one disqualifier with some models (which fortunately gives me less dillemna), is I need a hatchback to fit my pushbike, minus the front wheel, which I have been known to drive off leaving it alone.

Oh one other, whenever I see a black car here, I know the owner never did Basic Physics.

Edited by drx13

Hi TVM your input, I can't find any dealer for Suzuki, their prices look interesting, in this area, Jomtien and understandably their site is in Thai, btw Nissan have an excllent website.

#15 'Most of the small extras they will just give you if you look undecided.'

Ah so that's the trick. I'll try that. Thnx.

BTW if folks are looking at the smaller cars then why not await Suzuki's new offering: Suzuki A-Wind 2014 1000cc completely redesigned and embellished version of one that's been long available in Japan.post-57337-0-39012500-1385943124_thumb.j

#15 'Most of the small extras they will just give you if you look undecided.'

Ah so that's the trick. I'll try that. Thnx.

BTW if folks are looking at the smaller cars then why not await Suzuki's new offering: Suzuki A-Wind 2014 1000cc completely redesigned and embellished version of one that's been long available in Japan.attachicon.gifSuzuki A-Wind 2014 1000cc.jpg

The A-Wind is a year away.. long wait ;)

saw the new yaris yesterday,looks like a nice runaround and being a hatchback it would have suited me last yr.i wanted something for just taking the dog out and just a few short trips[we have only done 1900kilos] in 16months.this would suit the op.

i dont know wether the yaris comes with the spoiler and kit but for under 600k thats not bad value.

WS is correct along with other Taksin popularist polices ruining the country financially.

Check for signs and smell of damp on carpets etc. incase it is a flood car.