T-Day Joy

BawBae

I ate at Bake and Bite and it was SO good. 350 for a really excellent turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and roasted veggies.

To me, B&B's basic holiday dinner is as good as home made, but without all the bells and whistles (shrimp, smoked salmon etc.) that the big hotels have and therefore much less expensive. The pumpkin cheesecake is a great way to top it off. They also have a buffet in the evening for a little more.

Some of the other cheaper places around town are like having a holiday meal at a cafeteria in a Greyhound Bus station in America.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

BIG ups for The Duke's thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif . The turkey dinner was great, very home style. Over the past 10 years, I've gone to five star hotel buffets around the region for Thanksgiving and the turkey is usually a feature added to the usual buffet; oh, and it's expensive. Duke's was about 500b and great value imho. It was packed though and fortunately we booked last week. I thought the crowd made it feel festive, everyone was happy and there to celebrate the holiday. I will definitely go there next year.

• Like 1

We always do a big T-day at home, with turkeys cooked by Rim Ping. This year we decided to delay it by one day because of a schedule conflict of one couple. So glad we did, because at 11 am, some workmen appeared on a scaffold outside the window of our high-rise condo, asking if they could run an electric cord in thru the window. Then one wanted to come in thru the window to examine a long-standing leaks in the exterior of the building. Then several hours of work with power tools on the exterior of the building, right outside our dining room -- where we would have been dining on turkey!

I heard this second-hand because I'd decided to make cranberry sauce yesterday morning and discovered ants in the sugar. Lucky I went to make it early. Amazing how quiet it is at Rim Ping Supermarket on Thanksgiving Day. The most activity was in the deli dept as the workers checked the boxes of the cooked turkeys to make sure they were properly labeled and going to the right place. I showed them my paperwork for four birds and they suffered a panic attack, thinking my order was for yesterday! (I just wanted to make sure it was on-track for today)

Meanwhile, the canned lima beans arrived from the U.S. yesterday! Now I can make "real" succotash today. Much more convenient and better than using dried lima beans, but DHL hit us up for a huge duty. Incidentally, I ordered canned lima beans and had some sent via USPS and some sent via DHL -- both shipments leaving the U.S. on the same day. The USPS box arrived on Wednesday, with no duty, but the cans were all badly dented. The DHL shipment arrived at our door, yesterday, with very little damage, but a huge duty. I don't know how they figured a duty of $45.60 on canned beans worth only $15. Oh well, we're not going to be shipping cans of lima beans again, but we'll enjoy them this year.

So now, I need to leave to computer and get on with the real work of getting ready our Thanksgiving!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1