Hydrochloric acid

I have a rough finish terracotta floor which is difficult to clean particularly with the amount of canines wandering around.

I read that Hydrochloric acid if used carefully would do the job. So far I have only been able to find bathroom cleaner with 23% hydrochloric acid

which doesn't really work.

I can get stronger at the swimming pool shop in Chaweng but it is only available in 25 liter containers.

Any suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated. Have tried Home Pro/Tesco/Makro to no avail.

Many thanks

Gator.

Let me save you some time.

I also have terracotta clay tiles around my house, and I have HCL available since I have a swimming pool, and it will not work either.

Clay tiles are very porous and difficult to clean. What will happen is that you will remove the grout between the tiles, even if it is cement, and your tiles will still be the same.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I tried Pool Mart in Chaweng and they wanted 850 Baht for 25 litres which I thought a tad expensive and anyway as PeterS pointed out it .probably wouldn't work.

Previously I've used a very powerful toilet cleaner which although time consuming seemed to work OK. But I have forgotten the brand I used!

I also sealed the tiles after cleaning but that was a waste of time.

Any suggestions very welcome! I've also tried neat chlorine which didn't work apart from making the place smell like Mons after a gas attack.

As an aside, please excuse my ignorance but why is HC used in Swimming pools? I have had a pool for 10 years and only use a sand filter and chlorine, am

I doing something wrong? smile.png

G.

I have helped someone doing this using Toilet bowl cleaner (I think it was Tesco Brand) , with a good power washer... worked it over with a bristle brush on a handle.... leave a few minutes and power wash off and then rinse before it has time to set into the grout! .... Outcome was good! Just don't use the "pin point spray" in the power washer, if it is adjustable!

Wear protective clothing and gloves and Welly boots! wink.png

I have helped someone doing this using Toilet bowl cleaner (I think it was Tesco Brand) , with a good power washer... worked it over with a bristle brush on a handle.... leave a few minutes and power wash off and then rinse before it has time to set into the grout! .... Outcome was good! Just don't use the "pin point spray" in the power washer, if it is adjustable!

Wear protective clothing and gloves and Welly boots! wink.png

Just realized if this is in the house that the power washer idea might not be so good! (too late to edit!!) whistling.gif

But scrubbing with brush still might work, with the cleaner... just rinse well! wink.png

As an aside, please excuse my ignorance but why is HC used in Swimming pools? I have had a pool for 10 years and only use a sand filter and chlorine, am I doing something wrong? smile.png

G.

Chlorine is in free form a gas (Cl) which when dissolved in water creates Hydrochloric acid (HCl).

Are you are using it in fluid form for your pool or do you "bubble" gas into your pool water?

850 baht for 25L seems like a bargain to me, I buy 5L V-Clean (23% HCl) for around 300 baht at Chaweng Trading or Maenam Trading and use it for removing concrete stains and rust stains on tiles.

The toilet cleaner you buy at Tesco is usually around 15% HCl

As an aside, please excuse my ignorance but why is HC used in Swimming pools? I have had a pool for 10 years and only use a sand filter and chlorine, am

I doing something wrong? smile.png

G.

Chlorine has a pH value of 11.7, so when adding pure chlorine or generating chlorine with a salt water chlorinator, the Ph level of your pool water will increase.

As you want to keep the pH value of your pool water between 7.2 and 7.6, you will need to add HCL to lower the pH level.

However if you add Trichlor or Dichlor tablets which contain cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer, the pH level will decrease and you will need to add soda ash from time to time to raise the pH level.

Edited by PeterSmiles
  • Like 1

As an aside, please excuse my ignorance but why is HC used in Swimming pools? I have had a pool for 10 years and only use a sand filter and chlorine, am I doing something wrong? smile.png

G.

Chlorine is in free form a gas (Cl) which when dissolved in water creates Hydrochloric acid (HCl).

Are you are using it in fluid form for your pool or do you "bubble" gas into your pool water?

850 baht for 25L seems like a bargain to me, I buy 5L V-Clean (23% HCl) for around 300 baht at Chaweng Trading or Maenam Trading and use it for removing concrete stains and rust stains on tiles.

Thanks for the info I learn something new every day!

I generally add a cupful of chlorine granules every day into the pool, and if it is particularly rainy or hot then two cupfuls. I always do a chlorine check daily and this seems to keep it in the right parameters. Sometimes it starts to go green after alot of rain but I just wack about 4 cups of chlorine granules into the pool and that nips it in the bud..

Perhaps I've been lucky with the PH as I never remember to test and it is just gathering dust. Anyway no one is whining about burns/skin loss or itchiness.So far

But it does seems that I need to brush up on my chemistry!

Back to the floor, my 22% HC doesn't seem to work which is why I thought something stronger would do the trick. Wish I had put in smooth glazed tiles!!sad.pngsad.png

G.

Thanks for the info I learn something new every day!

I generally add a cupful of chlorine granules every day into the pool, and if it is particularly rainy or hot then two cupfuls. I always do a chlorine check daily and this seems to keep it in the right parameters. Sometimes it starts to go green after alot of rain but I just wack about 4 cups of chlorine granules into the pool and that nips it in the bud..

Perhaps I've been lucky with the PH as I never remember to test and it is just gathering dust. Anyway no one is whining about burns/skin loss or itchiness.So far

But it does seems that I need to brush up on my chemistry!

Back to the floor, my 22% HC doesn't seem to work which is why I thought something stronger would do the trick. Wish I had put in smooth glazed tiles!!sad.pngsad.png

Wish I had put in smooth glazed tiles!!sad.png.pagespeed.ce.cyRRGRfa7C.png

Probably then you would have opened a thread now, where to go for a broken leg or arm, as glazed tiles are a health risk when wet. biggrin.png

Anyway, indeed time to brush up on your pool chemicals, because a green pool now and then isn't a good sign.

Have a look at www.troublefreepool.com , you can learn a lot from there.,

• Like 1