Bangkok clashes: 3 shot with 'live' rounds

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Surapong, now appointed as the director of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), stated that the government has exercised the utmost restraint to avoid casualties.

He said the Thai government adheres to dialogue to solve the crisis and wants the demonstrations to be under the legal boundary.

The time for "dialogue" surely was in the government offices during the "so called" debate of the amnesty bill.

But the PTP cut short the oppositions time for "dialogue" and forced through the vote.

Now they are paying a higher price for their "democratic actions"

While I don't agree with all of Suthep's actions or indeed condone the actions of a few mindless thugs who want to see blood,

I totally agree it's time for the "Shin" clan to bow out of politics for the sake of Thailand's domestic & intrenational future..

Just FYI there were 18 hours of debate allowed for this bill. I'm not saying that Somsak behaved impartially, but it should be understood that the complaints that he didn't come from the opposition who were insisting on filibuster and disruptive tactics. By way of comparison, the UK parliament spent ten hours debating the Iraq war, and what could possibly require more debate than going to war?

Here's a further more relevant comparison:

"The bill seeking to amend Sections 93-98 of the constitution has passed the second reading with a 298-211 vote.

After 11 hours of deliberation, the joint sitting of the House of Representatives and the Senate approved the bill seeking amendments to Sections 93-98 concerning the proposed 375-125 formula for constituency MPs and party-list MPs, and the electoral system.

The bill was passed in the second reading with a vote of 298-211.

The joint session ended at 2.35 A.M. EARLIER THIS MORNING (Wednesday). The third reading has been scheduled for February 11, at 10 A.M.

There was a moment of confusion when representatives from the Pheu Thai Party asked Deputy Parliament Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej, who chaired the session, to adjourn the meeting until the next day, saying the session had been going on for 14 hours and they still had more to debate about the bill.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Party MP for Chiang Mai, Surapong Towijakchaikul, called for a review of the amendment draft, which he claimed was in violation of Section 86, Article 7 of the Constitution.

In response, members of the coalition rose to oppose the adjournment of the session.

Before things got of control, Prasopsuk read out Section 86, and assured his audience that the amendment bill did not breach the Constitution.

After midnight, Chai Chidchob took over for Prasopsuk as chairman of the meeting.

He reiterated that the amendment bill was presented according to parliamentary procedure, and said those who doubt this may file a petition with the Constitution Court for a reinterpretation of the bill.

Some Pheu Thai Party MPs were furious and acted out their frustration, forcing the House Speaker to call in security officers to maintain order."

tanlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.EByraMKFXg.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-01-26

Sound familiar? Just 11 hours of debate for something as serious as a change to the constitution when surely the session could easily have been adjourned to the next day allowing for PT members to fully express their views? I guess the Democrats should also have been thrown out and replaced by a People's Council despite the fact they were an elect... oh wait, they weren't even elected were they?

Mr Surapong, now appointed as the director of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), stated that the government has exercised the utmost restraint to avoid casualties.

He said the Thai government adheres to dialogue to solve the crisis and wants the demonstrations to be under the legal boundary.

The time for "dialogue" surely was in the government offices during the "so called" debate of the amnesty bill.

But the PTP cut short the oppositions time for "dialogue" and forced through the vote.

Now they are paying a higher price for their "democratic actions"

While I don't agree with all of Suthep's actions or indeed condone the actions of a few mindless thugs who want to see blood,

I totally agree it's time for the "Shin" clan to bow out of politics for the sake of Thailand's domestic & intrenational future..

Just FYI there were 18 hours of debate allowed for this bill. I'm not saying that Somsak behaved impartially, but it should be understood that the complaints that he didn't come from the opposition who were insisting on filibuster and disruptive tactics. By way of comparison, the UK parliament spent ten hours debating the Iraq war, and what could possibly require more debate than going to war?

Here's a further more relevant comparison:

"The bill seeking to amend Sections 93-98 of the constitution has passed the second reading with a 298-211 vote.

After 11 hours of deliberation, the joint sitting of the House of Representatives and the Senate approved the bill seeking amendments to Sections 93-98 concerning the proposed 375-125 formula for constituency MPs and party-list MPs, and the electoral system.

The bill was passed in the second reading with a vote of 298-211.

The joint session ended at 2.35 A.M. EARLIER THIS MORNING (Wednesday). The third reading has been scheduled for February 11, at 10 A.M.

There was a moment of confusion when representatives from the Pheu Thai Party asked Deputy Parliament Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej, who chaired the session, to adjourn the meeting until the next day, saying the session had been going on for 14 hours and they still had more to debate about the bill.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Party MP for Chiang Mai, Surapong Towijakchaikul, called for a review of the amendment draft, which he claimed was in violation of Section 86, Article 7 of the Constitution.

In response, members of the coalition rose to oppose the adjournment of the session.

Before things got of control, Prasopsuk read out Section 86, and assured his audience that the amendment bill did not breach the Constitution.

After midnight, Chai Chidchob took over for Prasopsuk as chairman of the meeting.

He reiterated that the amendment bill was presented according to parliamentary procedure, and said those who doubt this may file a petition with the Constitution Court for a reinterpretation of the bill.

Some Pheu Thai Party MPs were furious and acted out their frustration, forcing the House Speaker to call in security officers to maintain order."

Posted Image

-- Tan Network 2011-01-26

Sound familiar? Just 11 hours of debate for something as serious as a change to the constitution when surely the session could easily have been adjourned to the next day allowing for PT members to fully express their views? I guess the Democrats should also have been thrown out and replaced by a People's Council despite the fact they were an elect... oh wait, they weren't even elected were they?

Emptyset, you're quite knowledgeable about Thai politics. Maybe you can tell me which of the coalition MPs weren't elected. No one else can.

Sent from my phone ...

Stunning that Yingluck's government is brutally shooting dead these peaceful protesters, even more stunning in light of the continuous bleating since 2010 of the same accusation. She has totally lost any moral high ground(not that she ever had any IMO) she may have once had now that she has ordered her gunmen to open fire. History shows that a sitting PM opining fire on peaceful protesters does not last long in office, since they are forever tainted with blood on their hands.

There's no confirmation about what The Nation wrote, and if there are gunshot wounds how you can say it was from police?

Speculations and play game on people skin... That's all.

Oh ... how the tables are suddenly turned.

It was pretty "obvious" to you Red Shirt apologists that the Red Shirt protesters were shot by the Army in 2010, but all of a sudden, things are now much more hazy....!!

I am definitely tired to be pointed as a red shirt. You are an expert member here on TV.

Have a nice 5 minutes, look at my profile and read my posts.

I am not a Red Shirt apologists. I condemn ANY form of violence.

At the moment I posted, I thught it was funny only "The Nation" reported live rounds shooted. So, if you allow me, I didn't believe what they wrote until there's more than a biased paper report.

And, sorry for your suppositions, I was totally angry and freaking furious with red shirts when they seized Bangkok 3 years ago, and never pointed out they was innocent.

But you know better, and just judge me from 2 lines of post.

If, as you say, you are a neutral, then I apologise unreservedly for my oblique suggestion that you might be a Red Shirt apologist. I would say it was a reasonable mistake on my part, given that your post could very easily have been written by Fab4, Gerry or any of their ilk.

"" He said that another injured was a Daily News reporter who was slightly injured when a bullet narrowly missed his ear ""

I wonder what sort of injury you get from a near miss ?

PTSD ?

injured pride I would guess, no 'war wound' to constantly talk about for several years...!

"" He said that another injured was a Daily News reporter who was slightly injured when a bullet narrowly missed his ear ""

I wonder what sort of injury you get from a near miss ?

PTSD ?

The cold breeze....