Race of Champions cancelled amid continuing political unrest in Thailand

webfact

Race of Champions cancelled amid continuing political unrest in Thailand

BANGKOK: (AFP) - ORGANISERS have cancelled this year's running of the Race of Champions in Thailand, as continuing skirmishes between police and anti-government protesters raise security fears.

The competition was due to be held on December 14 and 15 at the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok, where tens of thousands of pro-government "Red Shirt" supporters gathered for a rally last weekend.

But violence broke out around the stadium on Saturday involving anti-government protesters and Red Shirts, leaving several people dead and dozens more wounded.

The competition "cannot take place as planned ... due to the current political situation in Bangkok", organisers said in a statement.

"Our thoughts are with the Thai people during this difficult period and we wish that a peaceful solution will be found," it said, adding they would try to hold the event in Bangkok in the future.

More than a month of peaceful rallies against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's embattled government have descended into violence.

Police fired rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannon for a second day on Monday in another part of the city, to keep at bay demonstrators who are trying to break through their lines into key government buildings.

The demonstrations, which aim to remove Yingluck's elected government and replace it a "People's Council", come as Thailand enters its peak tourist season.

Foreign embassies have updated travel advisories while the Thai government has expressed concern at the damage the protests may do to the economy and in particular the lucrative tourism sector.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-03

Pity, it was a fantastic event last year and I was very much looking forward to this years event.

Bangkok needs more of this type of alternative event, so its unfortunate its undersubscribed and ultimately cancelled, due to the civil unrest.

A great pity to drive away such sponsors.

Pity, it was a fantastic event last year and I was very much looking forward to this years event.

Bangkok needs more of this type of alternative event, so its unfortunate its undersubscribed and ultimately cancelled, due to the civil unrest.

A great pity to drive away such sponsors.

Yeah what a bummer, had my tickets booked already sad.png

After last year piss poor turn out this is to be expected .360 million baht it cost them for a 2 year contract to stage this ,they were never going to recoup this amount political rallies or not .

I remember seeing bits of it on tv last year: the stadium was almost empty and the drivers were standing there thinking "why did I bother coming here".

Not having read anything about it this time, I wonder if any of the world's top 10 drivers were indeed coming this year, yes?

Just got email suggesting it's postponed rather than cancelled ?

Dear valued customer:

RedBull Singha Race Of Champions 2013 have been postponed to later date due to current ongoing political protest in Bangkok

(*for new date of racing we will announce again)

Refund /attend Condition

-If you want to attend the race on new date, you can use your actual tickets to attend the race.

-If you want to cancel the ticket :