No more teargas: Bangkok Metropolitan Police chief promises

webfact

No more teargas: Metropolitan police chief promises
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Khamronvit Thupkrajang promised Tuesday that police guarding his bureau would no longer fire teargases to fend off protesters.

He said he would allow the protesters to reach and seize the bureau.

The supreme protest leader, Suthep Thaugsuban, vowed to have protesters "seize" the bureau Tuesday.

Khamronvit said he has not been removed as the commander in charge of forces dealing with the protesters.

He said he had instructed police to open the line and clap to welcome the protesters when they arrive.

Thai Rath reported that Khamronvit inspected the police line at the First Army Division Intersection.

"There will be no clash today. If the protesters want to seize the Metropolitan Police, let them," Thai Rath quoted Khamronvit as saying.

"I've told my subordinates not to fire teargases. If anything happens, I'll take responsibility."

He added that the prime minister also gave cash of Bt2 million for him to distribute to police officers on duty.

Khamronvit later told Channel 7 that the prime minister has given him an order not to let any single protester killed.

He regarded that the Metropolitan Police Bureau is a property of the people so the people would be welcomed to enter the bureau.

He said it would be now responsibility of the protest leaders to ensure that the protesters would not destroy the government's property.

He said police would from now on focus on protecting the people's life and property instead of fending off protesters from intruding government offices.

He said the protesters could stay inside the bureau as long as they want and he was willing to lose face rather than seeing a protester killed or injured.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-03

• Like 1

Now that the Ramkamhaeng University Rector has publicly announced that he sought help from the Police to avoid the students deaths and they said they would not help protect the students, the Police are making nice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The rector seems to have "been mistaken" about the attack on 'his students', why should he be believed that the police refused to intervene?

"The victims who lost their lives during nighttime clashes between rival protesters in Ramkhamhaeng district of Bangkok have been identified as one student from Ramkhamhaeng University and three Redshirts protesters."

So what when supreme protest commander Suthep decides to take Government House and other places tomorrow? It all makes me think of the old tv show S.O.A.P. But then there are dead and injured to mourne. Makes it all kinda sick and pathetic.

So, is this mean Thai police lets to do anything to them ??? Offer them also massage from police officers and make for them karaoke by police too. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This time is a really bonus for idiot school boys whose are fighting daily in BKK streets. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Now that the Ramkamhaeng University Rector has publicly announced that he sought help from the Police to avoid the students deaths and they said they would not help protect the students, the Police are making nice.

The rector seems to have "been mistaken" about the attack on 'his students', why should he be believed that the police refused to intervene?

"The victims who lost their lives during nighttime clashes between rival protesters in Ramkhamhaeng district of Bangkok have been identified as one student from Ramkhamhaeng University and three Redshirts protesters."

Not sure but weren't they all his students regardless of color?

I see an "inactive post" on the horizon for Pol Lt Gen Khamronvit Thupkrajang

Or it is a strange trap.

Or the man in Dubai decided to just give them the building...the buildings don't mean much.

• Like 1

"He added that the prime minister also gave cash of Bt2 million for him to distribute to police officers on duty." - and that's how the Shinawat's stay in power.

A good move to let them in though. No target = nothing to fight. Game over.

How truly amazing, three redshirts, does that garner more support for them.

Well they came to town to cause trouble and they got it, then run away like soi dogs.

However, If three redshirts were killed, I feel for their families and assume the fugitive will now support them with a big cash donation, also trust he extends the same support to the family of the Uni. student as well.

I think it's a strategical decision. It has a few advantages:

- the total loss of life will be reduced

- taking the office has no influence on the government, since the office is not necessary to make the government "work"

- the police has other locations, they can tempolrarly move to another place

- the valuables in the offices will not be destroyed

- the mob will be wandering around in the police HQ while the police can do their work somewhere else, at place that are more important for the government to work (government house).

- the office will not be taken longer than 1 day, because people will leave on the kings birthday. It's a maneuver to buy time.

The police did not say they will stop using teargass at every location.

Edited by kriswillems

I choose to believe the 'no more teargas' is due to a lack of gas masks to protect the police against cannisters being flung back at them...laugh.png

Police from the North to come here to arrest Suthep? Why not police from the South?

Edited by trogers

"He added that the prime minister also gave cash of Bt2 million for him to distribute to police officers on duty." - and that's how the Shinawat's stay in power.

A good move to let them in though. No target = nothing to fight. Game over.

yesterday there were a lot rumors that Yingluck was ready to stop and step down. Than that Thaksin didn't allow that and that huge amounts of money distributed.

I think it is very possible....kind of investment, but Bt2 million sounds way too low. If you hand out 2000 Baht to 1000 Policemen it is already 2 Million.

I would ever think of 20-100 Million

Well done and good strategic that Thai Premier did. More foreign governments are giving her full support especially US Government. Anti-protest supreme chief is losing more face and if he travel abroad, he will barred from entering the countries. He should never seize the government offices but he can stop or block the government officers from working at the outside compound. Praying for the peace negotiation and end the demonstration.

• Like 1

What a joke this country must be seen from the outside world, so now we see street mobs rule politics and now even the police and the way forward for the country. If there is one elitist among the mob i have seen attacking government offices he must have been well hidden. All i have seen is tattooed long hair stone trowing bullies, and where do they come from certainly not from the middle class or the so called elite, Who have been paying them this time when not Thaksin. As a father to small children, i fear for the day the mob get a sudden urge to turn on us foreigners on some or another pretense. Not paranoid at all, just realistic. Who is going to protect us when all hell break loose. Police is not functioning as they should, the political system in shambles and a former prime minister Abhisit, who by the way never was elected, got his 3 min on CNN today saying that all the chaos could have been avoided if just the present prime minister just had given the power back to the people. What people, did he mean, oh yes the non electable peoples committee.

• Like 1

I think it's a strategical decision. It has a few advantages:

- the total loss of life will be reduced

- taking the office has no influence on the government, since the office is not necessary to make the government "work"

- the police has other locations, they can tempolrarly move to another place

- the valuables in the offices will not be destroyed

- the mob will be wandering around in the police HQ while the police can do their work somewhere else, at place that are more important for the government to work (government house).

- the office will not be taken longer than 1 day, because people will leave on the kings birthday. It's a maneuver to buy time.

The police did not say they will stop using teargass at every location.

I don't think this is the case . On tv these proterters are claiming victory. And with every win they have they escalate their actions.

What a joke this country must be seen from the outside world, so now we see street mobs rule politics and now even the police and the way forward for the country. If there is one elitist among the mob i have seen attacking government offices he must have been well hidden. All i have seen is tattooed long hair stone trowing bullies, and where do they come from certainly not from the middle class or the so called elite, Who have been paying them this time when not Thaksin. As a father to small children, i fear for the day the mob get a sudden urge to turn on us foreigners on some or another pretense. Not paranoid at all, just realistic. Who is going to protect us when all hell break loose. Police is not functioning as they should, the political system in shambles and a former prime minister Abhisit, who by the way never was elected, got his 3 min on CNN today saying that all the chaos could have been avoided if just the present prime minister just had given the power back to the people. What people, did he mean, oh yes the non electable peoples committee.

Can you explain the point of this post? Are you implying that you would have preferred bloodshed, shooting, and a battle at the police hq? Personally, I am relieved that at this point nobody is being hurt. Perhaps this is the heart of the negotiations that were played out yesterday. I do hope nobody on this board is hoping for violent confrontation. Right now, it appears that the protests are back to being mild and peaceful affairs, which they would have been all along had the police not ramped up the violence.

Based on the TV news and other sources news, many government assets have been destroyed even anti-government supreme chief claimed that they never touched the government assets. You can't believe him. I believe that the government databases also being hacked by the anti-protesters.

Remind me sometime and I'll tell you what I know about what went down there... It's still to hot to touch...

The "elite" are all too busy talking to their currency and futures brokers and making a bundle while their anarchist brethren roam the streets.

Political turmoil is great for the savvy investor or speculator.

Rest assured that the elite from both sides have all gotten considerably richer over the last month.

• Like 1

He added that the prime minister also gave cash of Bt2 million for him to distribute to police officers on duty.

Thai police + 2,000,000 baht = Bribery wai2.gif

Thaksin = I can buy any loyalty I want and I'm using public( taxpayers) money not my own to do it . whistling.gif

Rice farmer xsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.U0q5B6ouVF.webp Where's my money ? I haven't got any nor has the bank. Oh look, some of it's gone to pay a backhander to the police so as Thaksin can still keep stealing from us. xangry.png.pagespeed.ic.X8Yh991TkM.webp

Edited by siampolee