Bangkok: Anti-government protesters declare victory

webfact

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know if anyone saw my last post on the previous page, but it's pretty clear that nothing's really changed and this is just a temporary accord for the King's birthday. Not even sure if there was an agreement between them or if it was a unilateral move by the government to defuse tensions.

Saksith Saiyasombut ‏@Saksith 13m

Suthep: This is just a partial victory. We cant go home just yet.

veena T. ‏@veen_NT 7m

@tulsathit: Suthep: Our goal is total eradication of Thaksin system, and the goal remains unchanged.

tulsathit ‏@tulsathit 2m

Suthep: We can celebrate, but we can't get carried away. The Thaksin system is still very much there.

tulsathit ‏@tulsathit 4m

Suthep: We must be patient. Coup will take only 3 hours. This way of battle requires time, because we've only hearts and bare hands.

RT @tulsathit: Suthep: Govt is seeking sympathy. They will dissolve House in a day or two and paint us as trouble-makers.

So... what are these guys celebrating again? Anyway, it was worth it for the pictures of the hugs between police and protesters.

They are celebrating because they received flowers from the government... smile.png ... smile.png

Don't know if anyone saw my last post on the previous page, but it's pretty clear that nothing's really changed and this is just a temporary accord for the King's birthday. Not even sure if there was an agreement between them or if it was a unilateral move by the government to defuse tensions.

Saksith Saiyasombut ‏@Saksith 13m

Suthep: This is just a partial victory. We cant go home just yet.

veena T. ‏@veen_NT 7m

@tulsathit: Suthep: Our goal is total eradication of Thaksin system, and the goal remains unchanged.

tulsathit ‏@tulsathit 2m

Suthep: We can celebrate, but we can't get carried away. The Thaksin system is still very much there.

tulsathit ‏@tulsathit 4m

Suthep: We must be patient. Coup will take only 3 hours. This way of battle requires time, because we've only hearts and bare hands.

RT @tulsathit: Suthep: Govt is seeking sympathy. They will dissolve House in a day or two and paint us as trouble-makers.

So... what are these guys celebrating again? Anyway, it was worth it for the pictures of the hugs between police and protesters.

They are celebrating because they received flowers from the government... smile.png ... smile.png

They were free..........intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

• Like 1

Congratulations. Now go home.

I remember saying the same thing in 2010 when a deal was done with the redshirts, thought they were happy and would go home. But is seems their "employer" had other ideas and they stayed, until more lives were lost/sacrificed/wasted. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The statement also praised what it called the restrained and proportionate response. The EU said it hoped to see all parties finding a peaceful solution and moving forward within the democratic and constitutional framework of Thailand.

I understand very little of the politics behind all this. And who knows what tomorrow will bring. But for today, I take my figurative hat off to the Government and in particular the police for the restraint and maturity they have shown. There could so easily have been dozens of bodies lying in the streets by now...

well it's usually not over until the body count, so don't celebrate just yet

Only a break, and now the "politicans" whos banned for 5 years are back. If they not stop the Taksin regime, their children will pay for the dept they making. It's not enough money for corrupt politican and all the work must be done in the country. And, I never see such a pool of incompetence ...

My g/f asked me if protests like this in Thailand happen in Australia.

I said 'no way could never happen'

Then I had a chuckle to myself gough gough gough..... goof.gif

"Well may we say "God save the Queen", because nothing will save the Governor-General! "

Mmmmm....outmaneuvered and out-smarted. The protesters thrust their mighty spear at the heart of the administration but the administration parted like water.

The old chinese 'hollow as solid and solid as hollow' ruse. The protesters get a hollow victory and the administration remains solid.

The protest movement will now lose momentum and then will be beheaded by the legal ambushes that have been set-up and are awaiting to spring. The administration will express regret and sufferance but WILL continue greater than before.

Somebody with experiance of Thai people has carefully thought this through....rather smart really.

ok let's round up:

goals of the attempted coup dear leader:

yingluck gone, government gone, Shinawatras gone, people's council ruling Thailand, Victory Sunday, 5th Dec "all over"

the Great Victory:

flowers for protesters, allowed inside Police HQ, Suthep still not arrested (yet)

Amazing Thailand - Always Seeks to Amaze you

Sorry but this is a classic. taking buildings is not a coup, they have not taken any power of the state/armed forces/police. None of those entities are saying they are going to do anything.

It is actually rather brilliant, sure come on in, now what you going to do? Its the King's birthday so best behave.

This movement has always required that it serve as a pretext for coup but nobody appears to be biting.

So sure, declare victory and now please all go home.

wjs

• Like 1

I doubt that the Mothers of the dead people who died for this "victory" are in a celebrating mood right now. Despite the huge improvements in society that have been ushered in by this anti-democratic upheaval. My prayers are with those families that have lost loved ones, and I pray that the tragic violence by all actors in this Punch&Judy Show will end before any more lives are lost or ruined.

Frankly, I'm sick of 'the dead' being used as political tools in this fiasco. You get more shot up outside the local karaoke/campus on a daily basis than this. Quit with the mawkish bs <deleted>.

That's a very good point, very well made. One only has to compare the casualties over this tense period of a few weeks to the seven-day 'celebrations' of Songkran....!

• Like 1

There are distinct indications to me that this is only a Birthday Truce.

The military has three companies at Govt House and according to the Bangkok Post has promised to send reinforcements if requested (that's at least 200 soldiers already, depending on what comprises a Thai company, a fact I could not locate). There is a rumor that Government House was a trap for Suthep, and they dropped leaflets from choppers of his arrest warrant this morning at his current Bastille. Suthep said opening Govt House was a ploy to pit protestors against the military. A witness said the protestors wandered around for an hour and just trickled back. Suthep said he ordered them to leave because he saw through the plot. A student remarked, "I think we won, but if she (TS) is still here we will come back to fight." Suthep told everyone they can't go home yet.

Suthep is starting to sound like a broken phonograph "Victory in 2 days!" and also "Good news tonight", which he has repeated and repeatedly changed a half dozen times in two weeks, with neither victory nor good news.

Sounds to me like the streetcorner religious barker that declares "The end is nigh!"

And the Spinawatra Clan is still spinning their webs and refusing accountability and transparency in the time-honored tradition of Western political obfuscation. Fewer words here, and an even bigger can of worms than what Suthep is offering for dinner tonight. I find both entrees less palatible than fried street locusts.

This is the Birthday Truce. After HRM's Birthday, it will slowly ratchet up again.

It is my hope that the least likely event occurs, that some compromise that has stability and fairness in it is reached.

I am not holding my breath. I will; howwever, hold onto hope. mellow.png

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

oh to be in dubai to see his face now...priceless.......i so hope its the end of yingluck she was way out of her depth...but brother didnt care about her one bit..vile human...him,him,him,,,

I think you will be disapointed if you think this is the end of Thaksin and as Yingluck was voted into office by the Thai people it should not be the end for her, no matter how your wife feels.

I think the face in Dubai would be more smirk than priceless!!

Yingluck will be in control for a lot longer than Suthep is in control of his mob.

Yes, I think Yingluck comes out of this looking much stronger. It seems obvious the army is backing her and the ridiculous antics of the anti-democracy protestors have alienated even those who hate Thaksin!

Suthep just got completely outwitted by the government.

Making his ridiculous rallying cry yesterday for all his supporters to attack Police HQ, he was completely wrong footed and in one fell swoop the wind behind the sails of his movement was extinguished. In the run-up to these events he had the amnesty bill fiasco to pump up his numbers. That won't be the case after he tries to ramp up the tension again after the 5th - and we'll see just how many feel as strongly as he does about implementing this half-arsed plan of his for Thailand.

The anti-government protesters declared victory on seizing the government offices include the Government House. However, they never notice that they have lost the confidence from the foreign governments and embassies. At the end, who lost?

It's just a current day prime example of the many hollow victories that make Thais so proud of their heritage, but if we all just change the name of our country every ten years or so, we can all be proud of our history for every reason that can be thought of.