"pip" Spaghetti Sauce

Ulysses G.

A buddy recommended some bottled spaghetti sauce that he picked up at Kessem's Imported Food Shop called "Pip" so I gave it a try today. It has organic ingredients, tastes great with no meat and is reasonably priced.

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with our moderator "P1p" considering its name and that it's so good and that he is famous for his pasta and other dishes?

A buddy recommended some bottled spaghetti sauce that he picked up at Kessem's Imported Food Shop called "Pip" so I gave it a try today. It has organic ingredients, tastes great with no meat and is reasonably priced.

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with our moderator "P1p" considering its name and that it's so good and that he is famous for his pasta and other dishes?

I'll bet he would have a better name than "Pip"

While his homebaked pasta and sauce are to die for, I dont think he makes veggie sauce.

Remember the old song "What a difference a Day Makes"?

How about "What a difference a Letter Makes?"

This may be considered a "GOOD" Post --- "While his homebaked pasta and sauce are to die FOR, I dont think he makes veggie sauce."

This may be considered a "QUESTIONABLE" Post --"While his homebaked pasta and sauce are to die FROM, I dont think he makes veggie sauce."

:o:D

I'm afraid I must plead guilty M'Lud.

Just test marketing this, slightly spicy. cooking sauce at Kasem and in Aden. (You can pick it up at my home too.)

(it is good on pasta or add to soups and stews or burgers etc.)

145587858.jpg

It uses only pure, top quality ingredients such as Olive Oil and sea salt etc. and is entirely Vegan although not strictly "Je" as it contains onions & garlic. It passes as "Mang Sawirat".

However it has no added sugar, chemicals or processed ingredients of any kind.

Thank-you, Mr. President, for the plug! (The cheque will be in the post! :o )

I'm afraid I must plead guilty M'Lud.

Just test marketing this, slightly spicy. cooking sauce at Kasem and in Aden. (You can pick it up at my home too.)

(it is good on pasta or add to soups and stews or burgers etc.)

145587858.jpg

It uses only pure, top quality ingredients such as Olive Oil and sea salt etc. and is entirely Vegan although not strictly "Je" as it contains onions & garlic. It passes as "Mang Sawirat".

However it has no added sugar, chemicals or processed ingredients of any kind.

Thank-you, Mr. President, for the plug! (The cheque will be in the post! :o )

looks like ajarn was worng - you were not capable of choosing a better name!

I’m so glad to hear that P1p’s sauces have hit the market. Bill and I were lucky enough to have tried them in February (just before we left Chiang Mai) and we were both very impressed. The sauces were far better than any commercial sauce we have ever tried.

Many spaghetti sauces seem to have a problem with the acid balance. They try to correct the acidity from the tomatoes by putting in a lot of sugar or even worse corn syrup. P1p’s sauces, on the other hand, seemed to be perfectly balanced with a subtle, but complex herbal character.

Please forgive us for sounding too much like a commercial, but we really liked the sauces.

Elaine

I’m so glad to hear that P1p’s sauces have hit the market. Bill and I were lucky enough to have tried them in February (just before we left Chiang Mai) and we were both very impressed. The sauces were far better than any commercial sauce we have ever tried.

Many spaghetti sauces seem to have a problem with the acid balance. They try to correct the acidity from the tomatoes by putting in a lot of sugar or even worse corn syrup. P1p’s sauces, on the other hand, seemed to be perfectly balanced with a subtle, but complex herbal character.

Please forgive us for sounding too much like a commercial, but we really liked the sauces.

Elaine

Curious to know what makes up the 'herbal character'. Dried basil? Fresh oregano?

looks like ajarn was worng - you were not capable of choosing a better name!

It seems the concept of Wit is still somewhat foreign to some!

Elaine

Elaine - Thank you. Your kind words and "Review of the sauces earlier were a stromg contributory factor to the decision to finally go agead and test market. The sauce I have put out now is a combination of the two I gave you to taste.

Curious to know what makes up the 'herbal character'. Dried basil? Fresh oregano?

There are several herbs including Oregano and basils of different varieties. I dry some to take advantage of the different character of the dried vs fresh herb. The Oregano is both fresh and dried. The herbs are added at different stages in the cooking process so that some aromatics cook out and others enhanced in relation.

p1p was kind enough to bring along a few jars to the Irish pub last night.we tried some with corn chips and hot chips.The words "bloody beautiful" spring to mind.

I just can't wait to mix it with some beef mince for my 'spag bol' :o

p1p was kind enough to bring along a few jars to the Irish pub last night.we tried some with corn chips and hot chips.The words "bloody beautiful" spring to mind.

I thought you said the get togther was on friday :D

It was changed Ajarn as the pubs are not open today.

I'm sure p1p will save some of his Pip sauce for you though..... :D

That's what I get when I don't stay up to date. :D

I was at the Irish Pub for the quiz last night - I did see a table with 3 or 4 jars of the sauce - I should have gone over to say hello!

It would have been nice to put some ugly faces with the names! :D

I'm a sucker for spaghetti sauce, the more the merrier. Any wholesale sales?

Yes - However only for regular customers at present. It is taking off in popularity rather too quickly and production is having difficulty keeping up with demand. Therefore those who put their faith in it first must be looked after before others.

It is available, as I mentioned above, at Kasem and Aden stores. Both branches, (Niemenhamen and Rachawong/Wichayanon Rds) of each carry it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the Irish Pub for the quiz last night - I did see a table with 3 or 4 jars of the sauce - I should have gone over to say hello!

I was the one that looked like a "before" picture of Jenny Craig. :D

I just can't wait to mix it with some beef mince for my 'spag bol' :D

:D

And I was the tall hansum one... :o

Actually, interesting timing that I should trip over this thread just now, as the missus and I opened one of p1p's sauce bottles last night... and it tasted just as good as it did at the Irish Pub that night 3 weeks ago.

Great stuff. :D

:D:D:D

Yes, but only AFTER I had consumed more than my fair share of the good old beer.gif Liffey water there! :D

Well p1p you gave me a great idea for a recipe,but I changed it to suit my taste a bit.It came out yummy enough for the missus to ask me to cook it again tomorrow... :D It came out like this...

2-3 large onions sliced and diced

5 large cloves of garlic sliced and diced

1 x nob unsalted butter

1 can of campbells condenced chicken soup

Pips spag sauce

250-500 grams boneless chicken pieces cut up into small chunks

Fry onions and garlic in butter before they start to change colour.

Add can of soup plus 2 cans of water

2-3 heaped table spoons of Pips Sauce (Or more to taste)

Add chicken

Cook for a 30-60 mins.

Season with a touch of chillie powder and a pinch of black pepper.

Serve soup with fresh bread.

:o

Nice one! Glad it went down well.

Maybe I should offer a free bottle of sauce for any good, tried and tested recipe, (using Pip's sauce,) posted here on Thai Visa. Post the recipe and swap your empty for a new full bottle. We would need to work out how to confirm the person making the swap was genuine. I will then put the recipes together in a booklet to go with the sauce.

(*** Gecko Books, as our honourable sponsor and as you have a very central location, would you be willing to hold a small stock of bottles for me and swap them for empties.)

Chuchok, I will reward your posting of the first recipe - and causation of this Eureka moment - with a couple of bottles when next we meet. Will you be in town on Sunday daytime? Or should I leave them at Gecko?

As an aside, I was most amused the other day to see a mother with her three children carrying a bottle into a restaurant, (that will remain nameless.) She said her children refused to go with her unless they could have the sauce on their pasta!

Glad to hear it's vegetarian :-) Will pass this info on to my veggie friends and give it a go when I get back to Chiang Mai :-) :-) Best of luck with your business P1P!

Do you publish a simple spaghetti recipe on the bottle? That may help selling it to Thai people who don't know how to make GOOD spaghetti.. just a thought!

Frak

Thank you for the best wishes. Yes, it is pure vegan. No animal product of any kind is in the sauce.

Gecko Books now has some bottles. CC, please collect from there.

Back to Recipes etc. Here are a couple to get things started.

1. From the bottle:

Heat the sauce and pour over freshly cooked pasta. Serve, if liked, with freshly grated parmesan cheese and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.

2. Generic stew.

Cut your chosen meat, (or vegetables,) into bite sized pieces.

Heat oil in a pan and fry the meat, a little bit at a time, until it is lightly browned. (You can also brown root veg this way too.) The object here is not to "seal" the meat, but rather to caramelise the outside a bit, which will add lots of flavour to your finished stew.

Pour out the remaining oil, keep for frying other things.

Deglaze the pan by pouring in a glass of wine or beer and stirring until the lovely brown residue, stuck to the bottom, has been dissolved. Pour into a saucepan suitable for making the stew.

Empty a jar of the sauce into the stew-pan and add an equal amount of stock, Campbells soup or water, bring to the boil, taste and adjust seasoning if required. You can add extra chilli here if you like.

Add your chosen, browned meat and some root vegetables of your choice. I also like to add some mushrooms at this stage.

Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally until done – anything from ½ an hour to ½ a day, depending on the cut of meat used. (Add extra liquid if it seems to be getting low..)

Adjust seasoning and serve with rice or a good crusty loaf of bread and some lightly cooked veg.

I make the above in bulk and freeze it. Invaluable when time is short or unexpected guests appear. The kids are addicted to it too, which helps!

3. Generic soup.

Follow the above stew instructions, but double the amount of sauce and add three times the amount of liquid, stock, Campbells etc.

4. BBQ Fish.

Take a nice meaty cut of Salmon, Bass or other fish and rub with a small amount of salt and pepper.

Lay, skin side down on a banana leaf and cover liberally with the sauce.

Put a few small cubes of Mozzarella cheese on top and sprinkle with a little extra salt.

Fold up the sides of the leaf to make a packet and close with a toothpick.

Grill over charcoal. The fish will be cooked to perfection when the cheese has melted.

I may well post some more recipes at a later date.

Thank you for the best wishes. Yes, it is pure vegan. No animal product of any kind is in the sauce.

Gecko Books now has some bottles. CC, please collect from there.

Back to Recipes etc. Here are a couple to get things started.

1. From the bottle:

Heat the sauce and pour over freshly cooked pasta. Serve, if liked, with freshly grated parmesan cheese and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.

2. Generic stew.

Cut your chosen meat, (or vegetables,) into bite sized pieces.

Heat oil in a pan and fry the meat, a little bit at a time, until it is lightly browned. (You can also brown root veg this way too.) The object here is not to "seal" the meat, but rather to caramelise the outside a bit, which will add lots of flavour to your finished stew.

Pour out the remaining oil, keep for frying other things.

Deglaze the pan by pouring in a glass of wine or beer and stirring until the lovely brown residue, stuck to the bottom, has been dissolved. Pour into a saucepan suitable for making the stew.

Empty a jar of the sauce into the stew-pan and add an equal amount of stock, Campbells soup or water, bring to the boil, taste and adjust seasoning if required. You can add extra chilli here if you like.

Add your chosen, browned meat and some root vegetables of your choice. I also like to add some mushrooms at this stage.

Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally until done – anything from ½ an hour to ½ a day, depending on the cut of meat used. (Add extra liquid if it seems to be getting low..)

Adjust seasoning and serve with rice or a good crusty loaf of bread and some lightly cooked veg.

I make the above in bulk and freeze it. Invaluable when time is short or unexpected guests appear. The kids are addicted to it too, which helps!

3. Generic soup.

Follow the above stew instructions, but double the amount of sauce and add three times the amount of liquid, stock, Campbells etc.

4. BBQ Fish.

Take a nice meaty cut of Salmon, Bass or other fish and rub with a small amount of salt and pepper.

Lay, skin side down on a banana leaf and cover liberally with the sauce.

Put a few small cubes of Mozzarella cheese on top and sprinkle with a little extra salt.

Fold up the sides of the leaf to make a packet and close with a toothpick.

Grill over charcoal. The fish will be cooked to perfection when the cheese has melted.

I may well post some more recipes at a later date.

I picked mine up from Gecko books on sunday.Thanks P1p. :o

I tried Pips sauce for the first time last night. :o

My Wife makes a beautiful Spaghetti Chicken dish with cashew nuts and usually uses the off the shelf sauce at Tesco

What a difference using Pip's.............far more tang and bite.........there will only be one Spaghetti Sauce in our kitcken from now on :D