"pip" Spaghetti Sauce

Ulysses G.

I'm a sucker for spaghetti sauce, the more the merrier. Any wholesale sales?

Yes - However only for regular customers at present. It is taking off in popularity rather too quickly and production is having difficulty keeping up with demand. Therefore those who put their faith in it first must be looked after before others.

It is available, as I mentioned above, at Kasem and Aden stores. Both branches, (Niemenhamen and Rachawong/Wichayanon Rds) of each carry it.

P1p, still got some of this around?

I'm a sucker for spaghetti sauce, the more the merrier. Any wholesale sales?

Yes - However only for regular customers at present. It is taking off in popularity rather too quickly and production is having difficulty keeping up with demand. Therefore those who put their faith in it first must be looked after before others.

It is available, as I mentioned above, at Kasem and Aden stores. Both branches, (Niemenhamen and Rachawong/Wichayanon Rds) of each carry it.

P1p, still got some of this around?

Yes. I delivered around to those stockists above and to Daicheeso quite recently. However I am low on it at home and am in the moddle of revamping a kitchen to apply for "OR-YOR" certification. (I thought I had a good stock, but some restaurant near the 700 year stadium came by and almost cleaned me out.

It will be at least a week before I can make and deliver any more, I'm afraid. But I'll call you when I next have some with me in CM.

Has anybody tried my Chili yet? Aden in Niemenheimen has sold out a couple of times, but I think Kasem still has stock in their deep freeze. (I'm looking for feedback. If you have had some, please PM or email me with comments or suggestions for improvements.)

(Chuchok. Apologies for not contacting youy recently - had massive excreta flying around and have almost never got into CM.. )

What type of chilli are you talking about..the extra spicy spaghetti?

There is another thread on this somewhere.

It is a Chili Con Carne, but without the meat! Purely vegan. Lots of beans, spices and tomatoey sauce ready to heat and serve or mix with your own cooked minced meat or otherwise as you see fit. (Two or three restaurants are already using it as a basis for their own "home made" chili.)

It is not too spicy, my kids love it, but you can jazz it up with tobasco or chilli powder.

It originated as a pizza sauce - migrated to cheese on toast - biscuits and then into spaghetti and as a base for soups and stews and replacement for Ketchup..

Will get into the Limp-Nig stores as soon as the Or- Yor application is approved, and they agree to pay a little quicker. I can not afford to let them have several hundred thousand Baht worth of revolving credit for almost four months as I did before.

is the con carne currently available in Kasem? Used to have the reciepe perfected - to mine and friends taste anyway... then came here, once tried to make it again, but forgotten some essential ingredient.

Kasem Niemenhamen should have it for sure - in the freezer, as should Aden, up the road..

Ta. Which is Aden, new one to me, must have missed the name

Aden is a health food shop on the same side of the road as Kasem but some way south. The shop adjoins a small car park just before the 2 Chiang Rai Road traffic lights (by the turning up to the irrigation canal and the university.) They have a small cafe adjoining the shop and keep the Chili in the cafe's deep freeze, with just an empty carton on display in the shop.

Went searching this afternoon for a bottle of the pasta sauce at the Kasem in -- or near, whatever it is -- the Worowat market area, but no luck. Determined at this point, I decide to visit another shop nearby that I thought I recalled might have it, although the product itself lies completely outside the range of what is sold there. This time the gods smiled down on me. I got the last bottle. Brought it home and cooked up some penne and side dishes of asparagus and carrots. Loaded that sauce on the penne and grated some parmigiano cheese over it and . . .

WOW!!!

Some kinda good, that sauce! I'm a little fussy myself at times, but my wife is way fussier, and she loved it too. We spent a good ten minutes out of our entire meal talking about how good it is (have I just embarrassed us by exposing the poverty of our conversational subject matter?). Pure, fresh, not larded up with sugar (or lard either), natural, nicely intense. Thank you, p1p. I realize it is against my personal interest to rave about it, because the more the stuff sells, the harder it will be for me to get my hands on it, but, gosh darn, good things deserve to be recognised!

Edited by Rasseru

That must be some wonderful store that you bought it at.

What store was it? :o

Yes, a very wonderful store. Yours, in fact. You weren't there when I dropped by, but your always helpful and friendly staff took excellent care of me. It felt a little odd to be asking for pasta sauce in a book store. But necessity is the mother of invention. Or something like that.

Ooops! Still haven't given the name, have I? Let me remedy that right now:

Gecko Books

Edited by Rasseru

Thank you for this! :o:D:D:D

Went delivering today.

It is now in stock at Kasem, both branches. Aden, both branches. Dacheeso and Ban Suan Pak. The latest version, with expiry 07/07/07 is possibly the best yet and a little milder in chilli flavour than the previous one, still stocked by both Kasems. (The latest one is currently in Ban Suan Pak, Dacheeso and Aden.)

You can also pick it up from my home, if you are out this way. (Address on the label!)

(They all stock the Vegetarian Chili con Carne too.)

This is by way of a public service announcement.

As of twenty minutes ago, the Kasem's near the Worowat market -- is there some better way to describe it? -- has no more of the truly wonderful sauce that is the subject of this thread, a result of my scooping up all of the three bottles that were there. I went to buy whatever was there, and I did. So if you are anyone other than p1p and are in the market to buy, you will want to look elsewhere, until that shop is restocked. And if you are p1p, you are now on notice that you need to get more of that sauce to that shop. Ah, the price of success and glory! :o

I just bought 4 bottles of Pip's "Mildly Spiced but Interesting Herby Tomato Sauce".. I simply heated it up and poured it over some "al dente" pasta. And WOW as Rasseru put it.. The best i have had in Chiang Mai..Nice one p1p.

Edited by Austhaied

Excellent! Announce new (but limited) availability on the verge of rush-hour! You, sir, are a viral-marketing God. :o

(You did also secure a commission from the police-dude on motorbike with his vehicle-clamps then did you? :D )

• 2 weeks later...

Thought my pillage and burn run through Kasem's a couple of weeks ago, in which I bought all their then remaining bottles of Pip's Herby Tomato Sauce, would keep me fully supplied with that fine and, now, indispensible comestible until I left Chiangmai on my next expedition out of town, but it has recently begun to dawn on me that I was overly optimistic and was going to need to get my hands on some more before then.

So, back in Kasem's first thing this morning on a visit for other purposes, I was delighted to find that they were fully stocked with said Pip's Herby Tomato Sauce, and I added some to my shopping basket.

So, folks, it's there for you too. But be careful to note that, for whatever reason, in the Warorot Kasem's, you will not find Pip's Herby Tomato Sauce on the same shelves with the other pasta sauces, but rather on a shelf on the left hand side just after you enter the store, much nearer the door than the general collection of pasta sauces. Took me a couple visits to figure that out some weeks ago, so I thought I'd save a fellow addict or two some of the trouble I had!