Uncapped/Unlimited 3G package in Thailand?

hoosiergrad02

Wrong forum realky, would be better in telecom section.

Many packages are unlimited, but the problem is the speed drops dramatically to almost useless after a certain amount if data.

There is no sim out there that I know of greater than about 5gb each use, you just have to keep topping up if you want to maintain speed, which can prove vety expensive dependant on use.

Pre-paid or post-paid?

I think the only truly uncapped/unlimited plan is one of the "Storm" post-paid plans from TOT 3G (2100 MHz.). However these do have speed limits of 1 and 2 Mbps.

http://www.tot3g.net/PromotionInfo.aspx?pid=23

One or more of TOT's MVNOs (mojo, iec, mojo, 365) did also uncapped/unlimited plans but not sure if those are still available.

Most mobile operators throughout the world have Fair-Use Policies for obvious reasons, Thailand is not unique in this regard.

"Unlimited" really means two things, and most seem able to comprehend these basic tenets: that you can continue to use mobile data albeit at a lower speed once you reach your cap, and that you do not pay anything extra for usage over your cap.

There are some "limited" plans, for which you pay extra per minute, or MB, once you exceed your cap.

That said, AIS does offer truly uncapped/unrestricted data usage, but this is costly: 2,000 baht/month for post-paid, or 200 baht/day for pre-paid, which are both fees in addition to fee associated with your "base" plan.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/faq.aspx#tips

9. When I have reached my “Data Cap Max”* and still want to use data at max speed, is it possible to continue using data at max speed ?
You can continue using max speed of data under the conditions that you pay and subscribed to for your continued use of data at max speed. If you are an AIS 3G One-2-Call! customer, you have to pay 200 Baht per day for use. If you are an AIS 3G postpaid customer, you have to pay an additional 2,000 Baht per month for use. If you wish to continue using data at the max speed of 42 Mbps, please subscribe to the add-on data packages by calling *777.
*”Data Cap Max” is the amount of data allowance at 3G max speed of 42 Mbps. As you have seen in some 3G packages that mention about max 3G speed allowance, followed by the amount of data such as 1 GB, 2GB or 4GB. This means you can use data at max speed of 42 Mbps but with a specified amount. When exceeding the usage allowance, you can still use unlimited data but not at the max speed of 42 Mbps (upon/depending on package terms & conditions).
  • Like 1

I think I pay 599/mo for 2gb...AIS

They offer a 4gb for 799, but I stopped using it as I rarely went over 2gb.

I may pick up an iPad mini/cellular and use 2gb each and lower the phone back to 1gb for 399/no.

My so called unlimited plan (AIS) is capped at 2gb per month at 3G speeds. After that I get only EDGE speed. pretty dissapointing considering I pay 999baht/month.

Pre-paid? Post-paid?

If post-paid then maybe you have some bundle which also includes voice minutes?

If pre-paid, I'd be disappointed too - safe to say you're not getting the best deal; easy enough to change - 2 GB 128 Kbps FuP) is 599 baht/month.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/smartphone-package.aspx?package=Extra-Package

My so called unlimited plan (AIS) is capped at 2gb per month at 3G speeds. After that I get only EDGE speed. pretty dissapointing considering I pay 999baht/month.

Pre-paid? Post-paid?

If post-paid then maybe you have some bundle which also includes voice minutes?

If pre-paid, I'd be disappointed too - safe to say you're not getting the best deal; easy enough to change - 2 GB 128 Kbps FuP) is 599 baht/month.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/smartphone-package.aspx?package=Extra-Package

ah yeah it's a billed subscription. I get 500 minutes of free calls/videocalls and free e-books. Not really sure how to get these e-books though.

If you use the 500 minutes then it's probably an OK deal, not great but OK. You could probably do better. Assume you ported to AWN (AIS/2100 MHz) already?

You can get 400 min + 2 Gb for 799, or 500 min + 3 GB for 999, so you're getting hosed a bit.

iSmart

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-postpaid/th/package-detail/1/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9E%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%88iSmart

Edited by lomatopo

AIS certainly does not have an unlimited 3G data plan, apart from that 2000 Baht/month thing which is outrageous, and neither does True, last time I checked that is! You get either 1, 2, 3 or 4GB and after that your'e on 2G. That's why I'm not getting a 3G data plan because it's ridiculous. I wasted 3 GB in 2 days by watching YouTube videos. I don't understand why they're not simply introducing an unlimited flat rate plan for let's say 1000 Baht a month. They would definitely rake in more money that way! Considering that there's lots of free wi-fi spots in Bangkok you don't really need a 3G plan, unless you just have to have that new app or whatever right this instant in this 3G less spot!!!

Edited by pacovl46

Expecting mobile data to replace fixed-line/WiFi broadband is probably unrealistic, and you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

There is a limited amount of mobile data bandwidth available, which has to be shared. Fair-use limits are quite common everywhere in the world, and without which, and/or prohibitive pricing, a few users would consume all the bandwidth. This seems like a simple concept to understand, but I assume I am not doing a good job explaining it?

There are not very many utilities that offer unlimited flat rate pricing - think fuel, water, electricity - other than fixed-line broadband, perhaps as a legacy of AOL/dial-up internet. As with most things, the more you consume, the more you pay. Even fixed-line broadband service providers have started to institute fair-use caps, on the order of 250 GB.

If you use the 500 minutes then it's probably an OK deal, not great but OK. You could probably do better. Assume you ported to AWN (AIS/2100 MHz) already?

You can get 400 min + 2 Gb for 799, or 500 min + 3 GB for 999, so you're getting hosed a bit.

iSmart

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-postpaid/th/package-detail/1/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9E%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%88iSmart

You know if you get to keep your serenade platinum status when switching to a cheaper package?

You know if you get to keep your serenade platinum status when switching to a cheaper package?

No clue, not even sure what "serenade platinum status" is?

OK, I see... WOW. Looks like you have to spend between 2,000 and 3,000 baht per month to be "serenaded" as a Platinum. Not sure they'd let you keep your status as you drift down-market?

http://www.ais.co.th/privilege/en/how-to-be-serenade.aspx#tips

But, maybe best to check with AIS?

post-9615-0-29297100-1386298613_thumb.jp

It looks like based on this thread and additional research, TOT has the only combination of "uncapped" and "unlimited" 3G. At their promotion price, it doesn't seem too bad.

Does anyone know if TOT service is any good? I live in Bangkok (On Nut). Their website coverage doesn't show a lot of towers in the area. So a bit skeptical on signing up for this plan.

http://icoverage.tot3g.net

Thanks again everyone.

I am with True on post paid and it is unlimited. and if there is a limit, i never reached it.

I am on 599 plan

For 599 baht True Unlimited plan is capped at 2Gb, after that speed drops, it is still usable after 3G 2 gigs are used up, to view text pages, TV app etc, connection seems to be around 200 kb/s

Spend a day on YouTube and your 1.5 GB will be gone! Happened to me with an air card.

Of course, 2 gigs is gone quickly if you watch YT or other streams.

If you have prepayed AIS 3G, you can log in any 3BB wifi spot, they are everywhere, and free, usually faster than AIS 3G. Just log in wifi when watching vids.

Same thing for True 3G plans, you get free access to any TrueWifi spot, they are also all over bkk, and other cities.

Spend a day on YouTube and your 1.5 GB will be gone! Happened to me with an air card.

Of course, 2 gigs is gone quickly if you watch YT or other streams.

If you have prepayed AIS 3G, you can log in any 3BB wifi spot, they are everywhere, and free, usually faster than AIS 3G. Just log in wifi when watching vids.

Same thing for True 3G plans, you get free access to any TrueWifi spot, they are also all over bkk, and other cities.

Some one once told me the only things free in life are sunlight and air, and even that they are trying to Tax.

Because of the cost and the physical limitations of spectrum, and the huge cost of fiber optics to 3G nodeB's, i really doubt in the next foreseeable future that you will find anywhere unlimited download

There will be typically 2 scenario's :

1) unlimited download, but limited speed

2) limited download, but unlimited speed (max possible)

Thailand is #2 as far as i know.

I use true 4G ( or fall back to 3G in none 4G area's ) and unlimited wifi. The wifi connects automatically through MAC address authentication (need to tell staff at shop or call centre). Advise to shut down wifi though if on the move, as iPhones will hang if move through wifi zones

iSmart

I have AIS 2 Gb unlimited + 400 minutes free calls + free SMS ( but I don't remember how many ) and I pay 549 Baht.

Edited by PeterSmiles

Some one once told me the only things free in life are sunlight and air, and even that they are trying to Tax.

No doubt. I meant to say to use wifi spots of 3BB and Truewifi are no charge, if you are AIS or True 3G customer.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i use happy dtac 399B for 1,5GB and i never use over this.. and i use my phone for work, email, facebook and is online 24/7

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

Hi,

I am in and out of Thailand fairly regularly - are the "unlimited" DTAC plans "auto-renewing"? I like to keep money in my prepaid accounts wherever I travel since I don't want to have to rush around looking for top-ups in emergencies, but I've been bitten before where the renewals occurred where I am out of the country of the SIM card and I'm not able to call in to cancel (at least not without incurring more in international charges than I'd be trying to save)

I am in and out of Thailand fairly regularly - are the "unlimited" DTAC plans "auto-renewing"?

Some plans auto-renew, assuming you have enough money and you haven't cancelled, these plans often offer unlimited internet access, albeit with speed limits once you reach/exceed your cap. Service providers also offer one-time plans which do not auto-renew; typically these are hard-capped and you have to be careful as you will pay by the min/MB if/when you exceed your cap.

There is probably a plan for you but you'll need to identify your specific requirements, and manage your account: cancelling any subscriptions when you leave the country, or insuring that your balance is below the fees associated with another renewal.

Just ring the service provider to cancel before you depart, or drop them an email.

• Like 1

Thank you

(I just want a SIM I can put into my LG Android phone (L5II) which local people can call me on and which I will activate the wifi hotspot feature to connect my sundry other devices)

AIS booth lady gave me a helpful photocopied sheet that indicated different numbers to use to sign up for "one off" vs. "auto renewal" internet packages.

For DTAC I am a little confused - I found this link in this forum http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/happy-internet-package.html and the "unlimited" plans look right for me. There's no indication of auto renewal or not, however.

I have lost the link but I've also found some post that says you can also sign up for the 399 baht/month unlimited plan with *104*21#, but on the web page linked it says *104*21*9# ... is there a difference between the two?

ringing service provider to cancel things - I'd rather prefer "automated" functions, especially since calling DTAC on 1678 actually *costs* money?

It may not be much but it really irritates me (reminds me of an experience in Malaysia, my prepaid line ran out of money while I was trying to get help on it... line cut off just as I finally got to speak to a Real Live Human).

I am in and out of Thailand fairly regularly - are the "unlimited" DTAC plans "auto-renewing"?

Some plans auto-renew, assuming you have enough money and you haven't cancelled, these plans often offer unlimited internet access, albeit with speed limits once you reach/exceed your cap. Service providers also offer one-time plans which do not auto-renew; typically these are hard-capped and you have to be careful as you will pay by the min/MB if/when you exceed your cap.

There is probably a plan for you but you'll need to identify your specific requirements, and manage your account: cancelling any subscriptions when you leave the country, or insuring that your balance is below the fees associated with another renewal.

Just ring the service provider to cancel before you depart, or drop them an email.