Bangkok suit shop recommendations

TheGhostWithin

Hi all,

I am back in Bangkok for my bi-annual trip. Sadly am crushed to find that the suit maker that I have used for the past 8 years has now closed.. I really loved those suits so I am gutted I did not know prior to closure. Now having to search for a new one and looking to avoid those side street dodgy Indian places.

Can anyone recommend a suit shop which is not expensive and makes nice threads? I am looking for a plain black style, full super-black light weight fabric. Looking for one suit with a standard collar and a second with a Chinese collar, this is quite important to me.

Can anyone give me any recommendations and an indication of price as I am only in Bangkok for 1 day before taking off to Ubon and returning on New Years day.

Will post a report of the outcome on this thread of course as a thanks for the advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

I do not want to pay what the lovely street side sellers on Suk try to pitch to me.. 5000 baht/suit, it is the same price as a suit at home. That is what I would consider expensive. The cuts I take are fairly standard Thai-style suits, and I usually by 2-3 at a time. I know what I paid at the place that I used to shop at, which was below the price above :)

Im probably a cheap charlie, but you can find anything at any price in Bangkok if you find the right person in the know :)

Less than 10k for a suit with 2 slacks and some shirts will certainly be crap .... and comparing tailored suits to off the rack from Men's Wearhouse is silly. I'd give the OP my tailor's info but would be embarrassed to send someone that cheap into the place.

• Like 2

I use a gentleman named Peter who owns Elegancia which is located in shopping center next to the Sherton River road area, you can google Elegancia Bangkok and it will give you directions locations info etc.

I have had several suits made and many shirts, excellent quality, nice to deal with, price will depend on what grade of Fabric you choose, but he is always resonable.

Edited by bkkfaranguy

You did not say how long you will be back in BKK after Ubon.

Reason for comment is that any decent tailor will wnat (a) to measure you on day 1 and then (B) have at least one and very probably two fittings before the suit will be ready.

Tailor I use is Rajawongse on Sukhumvit between the Landmark and Soi Nana.

I use C Filippo in Thaniya building in Silom. That said I like to pay good money for an excellent suit. Filippo can craft a Saville Row quality suit for only B20,000 using the finest cashmere. It takes 2-4 fittings depending on how fussy you are and he works on every detail as requested. A beautiful suit at a great price.

• Like 1

"5000 baht/suit, it is the same price as a suit at home." What off the rack at K-Mart? The last suit that I bought in the US was in 1995 and it was around $300, or about 10000 baht at todays exchange rate!

"5000 baht/suit, it is the same price as a suit at home." What off the rack at K-Mart? The last suit that I bought in the US was in 1995 and it was around $300, or about 10000 baht at todays exchange rate!

That ain't a Brooks Brothers price. Hmmm.

I got it: a Goodwill thrift shop. In that case, just get the Goodwill pre-owned suit altered in Thailand.

Edited by JSixpack

Thanks for all the constructive responses so far they will be very helpful.

LaoCoowboy: I will return after about a week from Ubon, I have time to pass so will be slowly dawdling back through the provinces avoiding the bulk of the summer breakers as much as possible. I will check ot Rajawongse, I actually pretended t be a customer in their shop to take advantage of their air con while I waited for a friend on one of my first trips to Thailand 8 years ago, so I know their shop and remember their suits were nice.

Daftvader I know the Thaniya building in Silom also as I had a friend who worked in a call centre there a few years ago. I do not know of the tailor, but I will go searching.

PrBKK: You have sent me on a mission, I have friends living in the area so a good excuse for a cup of tea and to find somewhere new and totally amazing I did not know about. Your regular now has a mystery shopper, or something similar smile.png

Good to ask, as Bangkok has changed a heck of a lot since I was here last nearly 1.5 years ago. More tailors than ever now!

I will choose to ignore all the idiots who chose to comment on how "cheap" I am rather than just moving on and finding someone else to disappoint. You must be very sad and lonely individuals. So that you know, I used to get made to measure suits (they used to take 1-2 weeks to be made) from the old tailor, who had a store front but made the suits from another location. They were good quality in my eyes.. I do not wear brands but have an eye for something that feels right and prefer to find something that compliments me rather than wearing it because it "wasn't crap". Ill pay more than indicated, but I oly pay what something is worth, I don't buy something expensive to "keep face".

Edited by TheGhostWithin

Thanks for all the constructive responses so far they will be very helpful.

LaoCoowboy: I will return after about a week from Ubon, I have time to pass so will be slowly dawdling back through the provinces avoiding the bulk of the summer breakers as much as possible. I will check ot Rajawongse, I actually pretended t be a customer in their shop to take advantage of their air con while I waited for a friend on one of my first trips to Thailand 8 years ago, so I know their shop and remember their suits were nice.

Daftvader I know the Thaniya building in Silom also as I had a friend who worked in a call centre there a few years ago. I do not know of the tailor, but I will go searching.

PrBKK: You have sent me on a mission, I have friends living in the area so a good excuse for a cup of tea and to find somewhere new and totally amazing I did not know about. Your regular now has a mystery shopper, or something similar smile.png

Good to ask, as Bangkok has changed a heck of a lot since I was here last nearly 1.5 years ago. More tailors than ever now!

I will choose to ignore all the idiots who chose to comment on how "cheap" I am rather than just moving on and finding someone else to disappoint. You must be very sad and lonely individuals. So that you know, I used to get made to measure suits (they used to take 1-2 weeks to be made) from the old tailor, who had a store front but made the suits from another location. They were good quality in my eyes.. I do not wear brands but have an eye for something that feels right and prefer to find something that compliments me rather than wearing it because it "wasn't crap". Ill pay more than indicated, but I oly pay what something is worth, I don't buy something expensive to "keep face".

Funnily enough I found his card yesterday. 3rd floor at the back. He's suited a few well known names over the years. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos