Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings

webfact

This was going on long, long before Yingluck had even a fleeting connection with the gov't.

The Rohingya problem has indeed been here for awhile. I cannot say, though, that selling them into slavery has been going on that long. Before it was towing them back out to sea with no provisions etc.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to excuse the scum behind these networks, but as far as human rights in Asia goes Thailand is near the top. Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, all have very awful histories.

Also, clearly no one wants these Rohingyas - not Bangladesh where they came from, of course they're not welcome in Myanmar, not even their Muslim brothers down in Malaysia and Indonesia. Some people see a gigantic human rights crisis. I see Thais "cleverly" taking advantage of the situation. What do you expect them to do:

(1) Rohingyas are booted out from Myanmar since they were colonizing the western parts of country. Time Magazine runs a special on "Buddhist Terrorism" (but ignores Myanmar's claims that they are simply defending their nation, culture, and religion from outside colonizing).

(2) Rohingyas flee to Thailand. Border police face a threat of epic proportions.

(3) Well-established, immensely powerful trafficking networks, likely with high-level contact in both Bangkok and Yangon, already have the means to deal with large number of refugees. The illegal immigrants are sold to them. Problem solved.

Seems brutal, but what do you expect them to do? Keep the illegal immigrants locked up, clothed, and fed (well except not during the daylight hours during Ramadan, d'oh)? Surrender and open up Thailand to illegal immigration (and foreign colonization)?

And where is the muslim world ?Bangladesh ,Saudi Arabia etc etc ...And why they do not take their co religionists under their wings instead of letting them be sent where they are not wanted ,

The Buddhist world does not want more muslim troublemakers than they already have in their midst .

There must be a good reason why Myanmar does not want them either ...

Back in the 1970s Saudi Arabia permitted entry for 500k Bangladeshi Rohingya, but I believe will be deporting them as the Bangladesh government is now withdrawing their citizenship & declaring then as stateless. Bangladeshi government is anti Rohingya for political reasons.

At least you're being upfront and declaring your bigotry. However, before you go any further with the Buddhist nationalistic rhetoric, you may like to understand the official Thai government and the highest institution in Thailand support for the Muslim population in Thailand; refer below:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/en/organize/29025-Muslim-in-Thailand.html

Edited by simple1

I disagree ..Everyone knows that if you take muslims in your country ,you'r in for problems you do not need ,have muslim countries absorb them ,that is the right thing to do ...

Please change that to "Every bigot knows" since it is simply not what every other person knows.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the Royhingas left Burma and came to Thailand. The Thais didn't kidnap them. Correct me if I'm wrong. That being the case can any people just show up in a country and expect to be taken care of. Lets say 3 million Romas show up in London. Are the British required to take care of them? Or 10 million Africans show up in Italy. Is Italy supposed to care for them?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the Royhingas left Burma and came to Thailand. The Thais didn't kidnap them. Correct me if I'm wrong. That being the case can any people just show up in a country and expect to be taken care of. Lets say 3 million Romas show up in London. Are the British required to take care of them? Or 10 million Africans show up in Italy. Is Italy supposed to care for them?

Please stick with the topic ......

HUMAN TRAFFICKING -----

The refugee status of the people (nor their religion, nor their ethnicity etc) is of no bearing when it comes to selling people.

In theory, you deport a person only to their country of origin but the Rohingya are in effect, stateless people. Humane governments do not deport refugees to places where they will be persecuted.

Many countries will accept refugee applications from people abroad, and will grant refugee status to those that reach their shores. My country has a "wet foot/dry foot" policy for Cuba. At sea they turn you around, on land they put you in a refugee camp until you gain status. But again this is about human trafficking (which you already said you support... so you can count on this as your last direct reply. I do not have time for those that lurk under bridges.)

HUMAN TRAFFICKING -----

The refugee status of the people (nor their religion, nor their ethnicity etc) is of no bearing when it comes to selling people.

In theory, you deport a person only to their country of origin but the Rohingya are in effect, stateless people. Humane governments do not deport refugees to places where they will be persecuted.

Many countries will accept refugee applications from people abroad, and will grant refugee status to those that reach their shores. My country has a "wet foot/dry foot" policy for Cuba. At sea they turn you around, on land they put you in a refugee camp until you gain status. But again this is about human trafficking (which you already said you support... so you can count on this as your last direct reply. I do not have time for those that lurk under bridges.)

Who trafficked the Rohingyas to Thailand?

Edited by thailiketoo

This was going on long, long before Yingluck had even a fleeting connection with the gov't.

The same could be said of the massive debt problem in the USA but Obama will still carry the can because it finally surfaced on his watch. The fact is that people are being sold in Thailand by Government officials under the current Government. Whose head should be on the block amongst others...Yingluck, and also Tarit for being aware and not investigating.

Well, the numbers are not close to 3 million or 10 million are they and yes, many tens of thousands of people pitch up in the UK and want (and receive) help. The fact is if the UK did not want them they would not be sold by a Government official to a slave trader or Human trafficker would they, and if they were heads would roll, starting with the PM.

These people are homeless and stateless, now the world has reeled in shock and horror over the last stateless, homeless people, the Jews, and here we are 70 years later, a different colour, different religion, but homeless, stateless and persecuted non the less. it is disgusting.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

HUMAN TRAFFICKING -----

Unfortunately I am out of "likes" for today, so please accept this as my "like" for this post, good sir!

this is what they call thainess... i can't understand them.

Not that you would really want to.

Doesn't a story like this just make you fell all warm and fuzzy.

but somebody will come and say: "if you dont like it, why you dont go home?"

Not to excuse the scum behind these networks, but as far as human rights in Asia goes Thailand is near the top. Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, all have very awful histories.

Also, clearly no one wants these Rohingyas - not Bangladesh where they came from, of course they're not welcome in Myanmar, not even their Muslim brothers down in Malaysia and Indonesia. Some people see a gigantic human rights crisis. I see Thais "cleverly" taking advantage of the situation. What do you expect them to do:

(1) Rohingyas are booted out from Myanmar since they were colonizing the western parts of country. Time Magazine runs a special on "Buddhist Terrorism" (but ignores Myanmar's claims that they are simply defending their nation, culture, and religion from outside colonizing).

(2) Rohingyas flee to Thailand. Border police face a threat of epic proportions.

(3) Well-established, immensely powerful trafficking networks, likely with high-level contact in both Bangkok and Yangon, already have the means to deal with large number of refugees. The illegal immigrants are sold to them. Problem solved.

Seems brutal, but what do you expect them to do? Keep the illegal immigrants locked up, clothed, and fed (well except not during the daylight hours during Ramadan, d'oh)? Surrender and open up Thailand to illegal immigration (and foreign colonization)?

And where is the muslim world ?Bangladesh ,Saudi Arabia etc etc ...And why they do not take their co religionists under their wings instead of letting them be sent where they are not wanted ,

The Buddhist world does not want more muslim troublemakers than they already have in their midst .

Back in the 1970s Saudi Arabia permitted entry for 500k Bangladeshi Rohingya, but I believe will be deporting them as the Bangladesh government is now withdrawing their citizenship & declaring then as stateless. Bangladeshi government is anti Rohingya for political reasons.

At least you're being upfront and declaring your bigotry. However, before you go any further with the Buddhist nationalistic rhetoric, you may like to understand the official Thai government and the highest institution in Thailand support for the Muslim population in Thailand; refer below:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/en/organize/29025-Muslim-in-Thailand.html

Thanks for calling me a "Bigot" whatever that means ,I am not afraid to be called a bigot ,if calling a cat a cat and a dog a dog is bigotry ,so be it ,

I can see you are blind to realities and probably part of the PC set ,always willing to ever appease ,yield ground and surrender to your soon to be new masters ,

Just take a look at places where muslims have been allowed to emigrate "En masse",not a pretty sight !

Who are the real bigots ?,Perhaps it would behoove you to read the koran just a little bit to enlighten yourself about who really those people are ,what they believe and how it explains their being rejected and disliked by local populations everywhere they happen to be colonizing .

South Thailand being just an example ,who are the bigots there and why ? I fail to see peace and tolerance .Who is doing the bombings and terrorism ? Good question is it not ?..

Can't you understand that no one likes to be colonized in their own countries by incompatible foreign cultures bent on imposing their own "religion" as the only true one ,and to dominate their host by hook or by crook,all you need to do is to take a look at other countries like ,Syria ,Lebanon,Turkey,Egypt,Iraq,Afganistan,Iran, to name a few ,all of which are "Charming places" of peace and harmony ,by the way all or most of these were at some point Christian countries ,that allowed their friendly guests to conquer them .

Maybe a little bit of scratching below the suface would reveal why the Burmese people do not like and reject their muslim population ,because they really do not ...like them,are they all bigots ? Or are there some real reasons to explain their feeling that way ?

Let's face it ,life is a constant struggle ,and not always pleasant ,this is just another example .

this is what they call thainess... i can't understand them.

Not that you would really want to.

Doesn't a story like this just make you fell all warm and fuzzy.

but somebody will come and say: "if you dont like it, why you dont go home?"

That is the very epitome of "Thainess": "we do it all wrong, shut up or get off and let us continue being retarded".

Wait until the military do their coup, then this will get even worst.

The sad part is when foreigners start repeating this rubbish.

I disagree ..Everyone knows that if you take muslims in your country ,you'r in for problems you do not need ,have muslim countries absorb them ,that is the right thing to do ...

Please change that to "Every bigot knows" since it is simply not what every other person knows.

Ok Mr Politically correct ,bigot or not ,simply ask and talk to the native French ,British ,Belgians,Dutch,Swedes,Germans,Swiss population ,ask the Philipinos,and all the countries whose culture has already been destroyed and invaded by islamic immigration throughout history ,like India ,Syria ,Lebanon,Egypt try spending a little time in Pakistan , and do not miss living there for a while in the middle of the new populations ,ask the Copts in Egypt and what is being done to them ,then please report back to tell what you found out.

It is one thing to speak from some ivory tower ,well insulated from the effects of massive influx of incompatible new comers,ask the regular local folks what they think .

Some people never learn from history ,and some like the Burmese do resist forced immigration and conquest by alien cultures.

I cannot comprehend why westerners are so ready and eager to hand out their countries lock stock and barrel to the first comers ,

As unpopular as I may be with the politically correct crowd ,I think the Burmese are right to beware of the unchecked growth of islam in their country ,and I suspect infiltration of unwanted fundamentalist elements from neighbouring Bangladesh ,there are more than 56 muslim countries in the world , many are filthy rich and why can't they take their "brothers" in and help them ?

Most of the people living here who actually pay attention (key words) know about stuff like this. It's really surprising that it takes so long for it to hit the media. There is so much horrible stuff taking place here it is appalling.

"Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings"

It's hardly a secret.

Definitely not a secret. There was a documentary a couple of months ago on Australian T.V about this exact thing. The only people who know nothing about it are Thailand even tho they have been told and shown video evidence over and over it still come as a shock to them.

It's hardly a secret.

Definitely not a secret. There was a documentary a couple of months ago on Australian T.V about this exact thing. The only people who know nothing about it are Thailand even tho they have been told and shown video evidence over and over it still come as a shock to them.

Can you please provide some concrete information about that documentary?

I am aware of one that discussed the mistreatment and plight of rohingya refugees but not of one than even hinted at Thai officials selling them as slaves (human trafficking)

Most of the people living here who actually pay attention (key words) know about stuff like this. It's really surprising that it takes so long for it to hit the media. There is so much horrible stuff taking place here it is appalling.

Absolutely, people who do live heren do know exactly their true face.

I am always stunned (and shocked ) when i heard from newbie or read in travel book, thai people are so kind, so humble, so simple, so honest, really budhist.

When in fact its the total opposite... i mean real savage...jing jing

It's hardly a secret.

Can you please provide some concrete information about that documentary?

I am aware of one that discussed the mistreatment and plight of rohingya refugees but not of one than even hinted at Thai officials selling them as slaves (human trafficking)

Are you asking me to investigate the producers of the documentary and gather evidence for you that they may be lying and trying to frame Thailand.

Spend your own time, hire your own private investigator or do it yourself. I have to much on at the moment and I won't work for you for nothing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-11/thai-military-accused-of-trafficking-refugees/4566234

There are endless stories and news clips about this dating back nearly 2 yrs here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2013-03-11%2Fthai-military-accused-of-trafficking-refugees%2F4566234&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SKPT_enTH406

Hope that this helps you with your investigation in defence of Thailand and the authorities.

Edited by chooka

What if thailand did the same to those places down in the Deep South, where daily executions and shootings are a part of daily life?

It's off topic, but there are many reports of extrajudicial killings and torture of detainees by Thai security forces in the deep South

This is what happens when a group of people are disowned by all the nation states where they live.

They escape persecution in Myanmar, turn up in Thailand in such huge numbers as to present a major refugee problem, Malaysia (apparently their destination of choice) won't accept them and so there they are, in limbo.

Prime targets for human traffickers and criminals (in and out of uniform).

No-one wants them. No-one cares if they live or die.

Awful.

It's happened to many ethnic groups in and around Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia.

Whilst the nation states are busy drawing borders and fighting over who owns which piece of land, small groups of now 'stateless' peoples are left to fend for themselves.

This is what happens when a group of people are disowned by all the nation states where they live.

They escape persecution in Myanmar, turn up in Thailand in such huge numbers as to present a major refugee problem, Malaysia (apparently their destination of choice) won't accept them and so there they are, in limbo.

Awful.

It's happened to many ethnic groups in and around Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia.

Whilst the nation states are busy drawing borders and fighting over who owns which piece of land, small groups of now 'stateless' peoples are left to fend for themselves.

Lots of stateless people. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Who gets nominated as the sucker country whose citizens have to support all the stateless people with their taxes?

My solution is to put them to work in an area where they would not destroy the security of the country. Unless you want a welfare state they have to work. What country has a lot of room and not too many people and areas where whole populations could be isolated from the rest of the population. Thailand is 96% Buddhist not a real good choice for other cultures. What other countries have a mixed population and the necessary raw materials?

Rakhine State, where most of the Rohingya reside, was first ceded to British Burma in 1824 as repatriation for one of the British Burma Wars. The Burmese government commenced oppression of the Rohingya when the military dictatorship came to power as a component of Buddhist nationalism, you could say fascism i.e. scapegoats; similar to the politicisation of the Jews in Nazi Germany.

http://www.mpacuk.or...-terrorism.html

It is a furphy to suggest that Muslim/Islamic government consider fellow Muslims as 'brothers'. All attempts to put this ideal in-place after the fall of the Ottoman Empire have failed due to power politics.

Edited by simple1

Awful.

Lots of stateless people.  Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.  Who gets nominated as the sucker country whose citizens have to support all the stateless people with their taxes?  

My solution is to put them to work in an area where they would not destroy the security of the country.  Unless you want a welfare state they have to work.  What country has a lot of room and not too many people and areas where whole populations could be isolated from the rest of the population.  Thailand is 96% Buddhist not a real good choice for other cultures.  What other countries have a mixed population and the necessary raw materials? 

Ummm dunno. Russia?