Aircards and SIM cards

Fabien1337

Hi,

I've bought an AIG 3G aircard for use on my laptop. However, the signal with it is pretty poor and I'm getting bad speeds.

So I've tried with the DTAC SIM card from my phone and also bought another SIM card from True (the package says "truemove H 4Glite 3G+ Wifi").

The signal with DTAC and True seems a lot better, however, in the Aircard connection software, they both show up as "2G" (and the connection is obviously really slow).

My question is:

Do I need a special type of SIM card for use inside of an aircard

-or- Is it just that there is no coverage for 3G with DTAC and True where I'm located?

-or- Did I just miss some kind of settings somewhere?

FYI, I'm on the west coast of Koh Samui, 2 km North of Nathon. According to the coverage map from True, all of Koh Samui should have 3G coverage. I'm trying to get good enough of a connection for Skype calls.

Thanks!

Fabien

PS: the signal with TRUE inside of the aircard software: post-194214-0-59860700-1386210329.jpg

Do I need a special type of SIM card for use inside of an aircard

No.

But you do need to subscribe to a 3G-capable mobile data plan.

You can test/experiment with the TrueMove H and DTAC SIMs:

add value

subscribe to a daily/weekly mobile data plan

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

Net 49, for example, 1 day, subscription code is *900*3302# SEND

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

49 baht Unlimited, subscription code is *104*29*9# SEND

then when you find a service which works for you, subscribe to a monthly plan

You can do the same with the AIS SIM:

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/th/smartphone-package.aspx?package=Extra-Package#tips

49 baht: *777*1# SEND

Edited by lomatopo

Thank you for the reply and links, it's much clearer now.

subscription code is *900*3302# SEND

Can you do this from the aircard software (or can I download some other aircard software that will let me do it) or do I need to put the SIM card back in a phone every time I wanna use a subscription code?

At your location with the dtac card connect via manual mode and see the list of signals available

it will see all of them from all companies and which are available to your sim

cross check the code to each company - I don't have the list in front of me now but something like 52005 would be dtac 3g

if you see that but it is not avail and should be it could be a sim card issue related to trinet I had that problem with older sim card

At least you will see everything in your current location and know whats out there. I think 52018 is dtac 2g

Can you do this from the aircard software

Depends.

Most newer air-card UI's allow for the origination of USSD commands directly. Review the documentation for your model, or look through the UI. There may even be a software update for your air-card's UI which enables USSD. Most allow this now as this is one the only ways to check usage.

If your air-card's UI does not allow for the origination of USSD messages then you'd need to pop the SIM in a phone.

Thank you guys, most helpful. I finally know where I stand.

The 3 SIM cards I've got are useless for my purpose here (AIS would be okay if the signal wasn't so bad, TRUE does not have 3G coverage where I am (only 2G), and DTAC has very poor signal here). I've got these two other 3G networks available also:

OPERATOR CODE TYPE

AIS-TOT 52015 3G
TH GSM 52001 3G

I cannot connect to AIS-TOT with my AIS SIM card, do you know which network that is?

Also, what' the full name of TH GSM?

Sincerely-

Thank you guys, most helpful. I finally know where I stand.

The 3 SIM cards I've got are useless for my purpose here (AIS would be okay if the signal wasn't so bad, TRUE does not have 3G coverage where I am (only 2G), and DTAC has very poor signal here). I've got these two other 3G networks available also:

OPERATOR CODE TYPE

AIS-TOT 52015 3G

TH GSM 52001 3G

I cannot connect to AIS-TOT with my AIS SIM card, do you know which network that is?

Also, what' the full name of TH GSM?

Sincerely-

The last known information I have is for Mobile Network Country Codes - MCC/MNC

Mobile Country Code (MCC)

520 - Thailand

Mobile Network Code (MNC)

Network Name Bands

520 00 True Move H/CAT HSPA+ 850

520 01 TH GSM/AIS (900 Mhz) GSM 900/HSPA+ 900

520 02 CAT CDMA CDMA 2000/EVDO 800

520 03 AIS 3G (2100 Mhz) HSPA+ 2100

520 04 True Move H HSPA+ 2100/LTE 2100

520 05 DTAC Tri-Net HSPA+ 2100

520 10 WCS Inactive

520 15 AIS/TOT 3G Formerly known as ThaiMobile 1900 (ACT Mobile) HSPA+ 2100

520 18 DTAC GSM 1800/HSPA+ 850

520 20 ACeS Thailand Unknown

520 23 GSM 1800 (Digital Phone Co.) GSM 1800

520 25 True Move (Bangkok Only) PHS 1900

520 88 True Move Inactive

520 99 True Move GSM 1800

Note: This information could be dated. If anyone has more current info, it would be appreciated

Whoa Nellie.

Can you hare any details:

- What is the exact make and model of your air-card? I realize it may be branded "AIS" but is there any way to determine the actually manufacturer (ZTE? Huawei)? Do you have a link to any specs on this air-card?

My best guesses are:

1.) that your air-card supports 900/2100 MHz 3G only. DTAC and TrueMove H operate on 850 MHz, and DTAC also has some 2100 MHz.

2.) you have TOT 2100 MHz 3G coverage.

3.) you may have legacy AIS/900 MHz 3G coverage.

At this point you should probably talk with neighbors to see what is available, and what others are using.

It seems like you should be able to get service from AIS/2100 MHz - according to their coverage maps anyway, and TrueMove H/850 MHz (if your air-card supported this frequency, which I'm guessing it does not). DTAC may also have 850 MHz coverage. Understanding that Samui has challenging terrain.

• 4 weeks later...

In the end I bought an aircard from True and, with that new one, I'm finally able to see the 3G network from True (and not just the 2G one as with the AIS aircard).

As a recap for anyone in North-East Samui (2km North of Nathon):

- The best connection I got is from True

- The signal with is not strong but the connection still ends up being surprisingly stable. That's much better than any other option I've tried at my location (shared Wifi from the resort; other 3G providers). ie: I'm finally able to get things done online without repeatedly cursing the Internet.

OOKLA gives me the following results:

Ping 69ms, Download 2.46 Mbps, Upload 1.56 Mbps

And no packet loss (the most important aspect of a stable connection).

I'll probably still end up going to town when I need a stronger signal.