Revisited the Chiang Mai Train Station on Dec 5. Another Close Aerial View...

rcpilot

Great video and so smooth flying. Interesting seeing all those railways sleepers dumped to one side. Some of them looked pretty old and beaten up....no wonder there have been derailments! But that aside I might get the missus to enquire about them as I could put them to use around our land. Good landscaping material. Hope I dont start a stampede to the pile biggrin.png

Great video and so smooth flying. Interesting seeing all those railways sleepers dumped to one side. Some of them looked pretty old and beaten up....no wonder there have been derailments! But that aside I might get the missus to enquire about them as I could put them to use around our land. Good landscaping material. Hope I dont start a stampede to the pile biggrin.png

In the West they are used to make flower beds etc .I would not have those ones near my house though as they are probably infested with many types of insect .The new track looks really neat up close .Maybe now the train can go at a decent speed .

ps ,One poster above asks how they checked for compaction ,doubting that the Thais can build a railway .Thats typical Falang superior attitude ,which annoys me at times .

Edited by anto

In the West they are used to make flower beds etc .I would not have those ones near my house though as they are probably infested with many types of insect .The new track looks really neat up close .Maybe now the train can go at a decent speed .

ps ,One poster above asks how they checked for compaction ,doubting that the Thais can build a railway .Thats typical Falang superior attitude ,which annoys me at times .

Thais excavated the Khun Tan Tunnel - the longest in Thailand - after the Germans who had contracted to do it returned to the Fatherland to fight WWI.

If Thais could do that, you would think they would be capable of laying track.

Pardon my ignorance, but are the train tracks in Thailand considered to be what we used to call "narrow gauge"?

Yes, narrow gauge - 1 metre.

Some very interesting information about Thai railways can be found ai ThailandByTrain.com.

There are also photos of early steam locomotives including some very small ones like the little beauty that used to be at Chiang Mai Station until it disappeared mysteriously in the late '80s - early '90s.

Around that time a full-sized steam locomotive was found by investigative reporters to be in the gardens on the Chon Buri estate of a high-ranking Army officer.

So maybe a similar fate befell Chiang Mai's little locomotive.

Are you saying that they DO know how to build a railway? And operate one? And maintain one? Any question about the level of the Railroad IQ here in LOS is justified, given the abysmal record. Also, the Thais own their share of superior attitudes on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Has anyone here taken the train from Cm all the way to Singapore?

I believe that you would have to take road transport in Bangkok from the Northern station, to the Southern station. Not possible to take the train from CM to Singapore as no rail line connection. As far as I know.

Don't know about those things but I do know where many of the old sleepers end up, a friend in BKK has a contract to supply container loads of sleepers to a flooring company in Oxford UK and he's been shipping at least five containers a month for the past six years, short answer is, on the floor of UK homes.

I believe that you would have to take road transport in Bangkok from the Northern station, to the Southern station. Not possible to take the train from CM to Singapore as no rail line connection. As far as I know.

The major southbound trains from Bangkok all depart from Hualamphong along with the northbound trains.

And yes, I have taken the train all the way from Chiang Mai to Singapore, twice, with stops along the way.

Edited by ovenman

The major southbound trains from Bangkok all depart from Hualamphong along with the northbound trains.

And yes, I have taken the train all the way from Chiang Mai to Singapore, twice, with stops along the way.

How long was your CM-Singapore train trip?

My guess would be about three days without stops.

How long was your CM-Singapore train trip?

My guess would be about three days without stops.

If you are simply in a hurry to get there, one could leave Chiang Mai on say, a Friday evening and arrive Singapore sometime on Monday. The arrival timing would depend on the connection in Butterworth (to Kuala Lumpur).

Edited by ovenman

I've taken the Singapore-Bangkok train trip a few times so add one more ticket to Chiang Mai. The reverse is also true. One of the nice things was you can get off on any stop going through Malaysia, have a look around for a day or two and hop back on the next available one to continue your trip. That's how I was doing it.

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Singapore_-_Kuala_Lumpur_-_Penang_-_Bangkok