Five Cambodians caught for attempting to torch Bangkok protest stage

webfact

Five Cambodians caught for attempting to torch protest stage

suthepfb-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Five Cambodians have been arrested by protest guards at Ratchadamnoen Avenue for allegedly attempting to torch the protest stage on December 5 on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s birthday.

According to Suthep Thuagsuban’s Facebook page, the Cambodians admitted that they were hired by a village headman in Pathum Thani to set afire the protest stage at the Democracy Monument.

No details were available about the identities of the Cambodians or the paymaster. But maps showing the sites where the group was to cause troubles were found in their possession.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-cambodians-caught-attempting-torch-protest-stage/

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-06

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The suspicious part is where it has always to be a foreigner who is a suspect... sad.png

I guess we are going soon to see a wave of xenophobia shoot out against us from the Yellow/Black shirt.

There is clear evidence that Thaksin hired some people in Cambodia in the past...maybe so the information doesn't leak.

If it is a Cambodian than it is a Cambodian...that has nothing to do with xenophobia. And the Yellow shirts have good contact with the opposition in Cambodia, which has a hard life under Hun Sen.

• Like 1

He may very well be a Cambodian national, but he looks more Thai to me. May be half and half.

Needless to say, his Thai paymaster will likely leave him hung out to dry.

No, definitely a Khmer. You can tell by his poor taste in combat clothes. But as you say, his employer, apparently in Pathum Thani, will deny everything.

Just another poor sucker.

• Like 2

The guy in the pic certainly looks like he's running on a very low number of brain cells.

He could be a Pheu Thai MP.

He's been caught, so that's unlikely to happen laugh.png

Not really, since he has now a criminal record he now qualifies for a higher rank within the party.

The suspicious part is where it has always to be a foreigner who is a suspect... sad.png

I guess we are going soon to see a wave of xenophobia shoot out against us from the Yellow/Black shirt.

Yellow/black shirt? No such thing anymore ...... People wore yellow for the King yesterday and black before that.

Simplistic thinking like that belies that people from all backgrounds have opposed this amnesty bill and are now strongly aligned against the government. The students I know that came to BKK from Hat Yai certainly do not fit in your narrow bands, nor do the others. Many of the students are seriously looking for reform that would go against what the old Yellows would want, Face it the PAD as a movement splintered and died.

Now, that some group used Cambodians would actually point to multiple options and one would be the reds (Thaksin's ties with HunSen) and one would be the remnants of the old PAD (stoking the fire) but the obvious answer is they are cheap and far more expendable if lost.

• Like 2

The only thing I completely question is the crime. The stage is made of metal and metal plate floorboards. I may be mistaken, but I reviewed a few dozen pictures and I see nothing flammable but the curtains in the front of the stage -- and how can a Cambodian crew set fire to the curtains, since it is well lit (no pun intended) and attended all day and night?

What were the Cambodians going to light the stage with, an arc welder?.

The only thing I completely question is the crime. The stage is made of metal and metal plate floorboards. I may be mistaken, but I reviewed a few dozen pictures and I see nothing flammable but the curtains in the front of the stage -- and how can a Cambodian crew set fire to the curtains, since it is well lit (no pun intended) and attended all day and night?

What were the Cambodians going to light the stage with, an arc welder?.

I presume this is not too literal in terms of literally targeting the stage.

An arson attempt would be targeted against the technology, ie. the sound system, video link system, lighting rig etc. A nice fire created for all that stuff and would effectively shut down a broadcast and create a load of smoke and panic.

Not directly targeting the metal scaffolding of the stage itself.

• Like 1