Cheapest way to send money from Thailand to UK?

tingtongtingtong

Try www.xe.com. They specialize in sending currencies from country to country.

Western Union is also pretty good these days, I think. They've gotten more competitive.

PayPal and similar companies can be expensive.

Telegraphic Transfer bank to bank is good for larger amounts. It usually costs around $40 depending on the bank.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ericjt
  • Like 1

Bank to bank via TT. 50,000 leaving the country should not attract attention. If it's cash then those crooks - Western Union are still the most efficient, but they do charge a lot, and decide where you want it changed into pounds as the bank crooks also take their 'pound' so to speak.

• Like 1

I'd suggest easiest is Bank to Bank transfer. I sent about 250K Baht this way from Krungsri bank to UK Coop bank. First transfer into Sterling as exchange rate was, I found, MUCH better in Thai banks, then transfer sterling amount via SWIFT - I filled in Foreign Exchange Transaction Form. Cost for me was 500baht for exchange, and about £15 for bank charge by co-op. you can choose to pay charges either at Thai or UK bank. Very easy!

• Like 1

I'd suggest easiest is Bank to Bank transfer. I sent about 250K Baht this way from Krungsri bank to UK Coop bank. First transfer into Sterling as exchange rate was, I found, MUCH better in Thai banks, then transfer sterling amount via SWIFT - I filled in Foreign Exchange Transaction Form. Cost for me was 500baht for exchange, and about £15 for bank charge by co-op. you can choose to pay charges either at Thai or UK bank. Very easy!

Hi @GavinReynolds,

May I ask the distinction you made between Bank to Bank transfer and SWIFT?

It seems to me they are the same but you might have a heads up I don't.

I usually pay a minimum fee of 1350Baht transferring bank (Thai) to bank (Abroad), do you have a cheaper method?

Thanks for the info.

Forget the banks,they charge too much.While I am writing this reply above on the screen is an advert for OZFOREX.

They are the answer to sending money overseas.I use them all the time to send money from Australia to Thailand and never had a problem.A few weeks ago they listed on the stock exchange.Good luck.

Hi @GavinReynolds,

May I ask the distinction you made between Bank to Bank transfer and SWIFT?

It seems to me they are the same but you might have a heads up I don't.

I usually pay a minimum fee of 1350Baht transferring bank (Thai) to bank (Abroad), do you have a cheaper method?

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, no distinction intended. Bank to bank transfer via SWIFT. The form I filled in asked if bank charges should be paid from remitter or beneficiary bank - I chose the latter which was £15. I found combination of Thai bank exchange rate, ease of transfer, security and low charge was best. But there may be cheaper ways.

Sick Friesian?

I don't understand what that means?
Duuuuuh.

Sorry I have never really dealt with those kinds of people.I

stick to people of a smilar age, education and wealth though my Thai girfriend is smarter and richer than me, hence me asking money from her

Edited by tingtongtingtong

Sick Friesian?

I don't understand what that means?
Duuuuuh.

Sorry I have never really dealt with those kinds of people.I

I stick to people of a similar age, education and wealth (it doesnt really work if you don't as things get one sided and you can't do all the things you want to)though my Thai girfriend is smarter and richer than me, hence me asking money from her

Try www.xe.com. They specialize in sending currencies from country to country.

Western Union is also pretty good these days, I think. They've gotten more competitive.

PayPal and similar companies can be expensive.

Telegraphic Transfer bank to bank is good for larger amounts. It usually costs around $40 depending on the bank.

Hope this helps.

Thank you you are a gent!