Re: Bicycle Rentals

RobFord

re

I'll be in Chiang Mai this Feb / March and would like to rent a decent road bike ( 56 ) for about six weeks.

are you sure ?

pic 1 .. doi suthep view 16 feb 13

pic 2 .. doi suthep view 11 apr 13

pic 3 .. doi suthep view 11 june 12

if you want to see something june is better :)

dave2

post-42592-0-77491700-1386466368_thumb.j

post-42592-0-74743000-1386466395_thumb.j

post-42592-0-18226700-1386466424_thumb.j

I will try to answer the poster's question, yes I know that is hardly the spirit of this forum but what the heck. Try Googling Chiang Mai Cycling. They recommend Cacti Bike near the moat but there a few more. The last time I rented prices were around 180 Baht to 200 Baht per day.

re

I'll be in Chiang Mai this Feb / March and would like to rent a decent road bike ( 56 ) for about six weeks.

are you sure ?

pic 1 .. doi suthep view 16 feb 13

pic 2 .. doi suthep view 11 apr 13

pic 3 .. doi suthep view 11 june 12

if you want to see something june is better smile.png

dave2

hehehe……a wee bit wet. As opposed to this?

post-193640-0-11046500-1386475135_thumb.

I will try to answer the poster's question, yes I know that is hardly the spirit of this forum but what the heck. Try Googling Chiang Mai Cycling. They recommend Cacti Bike near the moat but there a few more. The last time I rented prices were around 180 Baht to 200 Baht per day.

I've found everything on line to be outdated and emails have been either rejected or ignored.

Think I'll be rolling my own. Hope I'm not too badly sodomized for oversized by the airlines.

Isn't the rainy season June / July in Northern Thailand?

That's not rain, Mr. Ford, it is smoke/smog, a curse upon the north from Feb-June. The rainy season is approx late June-late Nov. This tear the rainy season in Chiang Mai was very moderate,compared to Central and Southern Thailand.

Exactly, it's not water that's the problem in Feb/March. It's a lack of rain combined with the locals burning everything in sight that will catch a spark.

It's a very unhealthy time of year to be out cycling...

http://siamandbeyond.com/smoke-pollution-makes-march-the-worst-month-to-visit-chiang-mai-northern-thailand/

Edited by LazyYogi

That's not rain, Mr. Ford, it is smoke/smog, a curse upon the north from Feb-June. The rainy season is approx late June-late Nov. This tear the rainy season in Chiang Mai was very moderate,compared to Central and Southern Thailand.

Holy Schmookies. A whole new season.

Good information. Thanks.

Bringing own ride good idea, riding during smokey season bad idea. Fellow cyclist's IMHO, but Feb should be ok esp if you ride in less smokey areas (they do exist)

Does the smoke sit in the valleys? Can you climb out of it? One of the reasons I've chosen Chiang Mai over the party beach locations is the climbs.

Bringing own ride good idea, riding during smokey season bad idea. Fellow cyclist's IMHO, but Feb should be ok esp if you ride in less smokey areas (they do exist)

Does the smoke sit in the valleys? Can you climb out of it? One of the reasons I've chosen Chiang Mai over the party beach locations is the climbs.

It depends. The smoke does tend to collect in the valleys, especially early in the morning when it's a little cooler.

But often the mountains are what is on fire.