Open Return Flights.

NoshowJones

Anyone know if you can still get open returns from Bangkok to the UK? It would seem you cannot online as you are only quoted for one ways and round trips. If you can get open returns, I would assume you would need to go to a travel agents.

Not sure about the procedure in the UK but I buy my one-year open ticket online from Thai Airways, put in a dummy return leg, then phone Thai here in Tokyo and ask them to unschedule the return flight. I am sure to make a record of the e-ticket number because they will need it to schedule my return flight from Narita to BKK. Incidentally, I always buy my tickets originating in BKK because they are much cheaper than tickets originating in Tokyo.

• Like 1

An open return will cost more than booking a fixed return ticket with the option to change dates. Use matrix/ita to check the fare rules on a flight.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

They only return airline results, not travel agents but it gives you an idea of what you should pay. Then combine it with a search on Kayak or Skyscanner and see if you can be offered a better deal. If that is the case then check the fare rules apply, email if necessary. Or visit a travel agent armed with that info.

Edit. In reference to the post from DogNo1 above, would apply in a different way, always cheaper to travel LHR/BKK/LHR so most regular travellers sort it that way even if it means buying a single back to the UK and starting anew. Depends on your frequency of travel of course.

Edited by roamer

An open return will cost more than booking a fixed return ticket with the option to change dates. Use matrix/ita to check the fare rules on a flight.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

They only return airline results, not travel agents but it gives you an idea of what you should pay. Then combine it with a search on Kayak or Skyscanner and see if you can be offered a better deal. If that is the case then check the fare rules apply, email if necessary. Or visit a travel agent armed with that info.

Edit. In reference to the post from DogNo1 above, would apply in a different way, always cheaper to travel LHR/BKK/LHR so most regular travellers sort it that way even if it means buying a single back to the UK and starting anew. Depends on your frequency of travel of course.

Thanks Roamer, that's a great help.

Roamer: If you're needing to buy a single (one-way) ticket back to the UK, your original ticket must be BKK-LHR-BKK, right? If your ticket were LHR-BKK-LHR, you wouldn't need a return ticket to the UK.

Incidentally, I have recently found that ticket searches on Kayak have found the cheapest tickets on the airline's own website. At least that's been the case for Thai, United and American.