Better to record video at 1080 and convert smaller or record 720 and convert

2008bangkok

Do you people who have a iPhone use the stock app and record at 1080 and convert or get a app and set it to 720 then convert, is there a massive difference between 1080 and 720 because in terms of file size it's a massive difference over 1gb for a smallish video at 1080 that's bad, hopefully when they release h265 things will change

I record at 1080 and then throw it on my macbook and in quicktime adjust the size quickly. What you using the video for? A freeware mac program is 'adapter' - it does a good job at converting as well.

I'm just taking random videos of the kids but the size in 1080 is ridiculous around 200 mb per minute what's does the adapter program convert to in terms of file size

If you want to keep the Full HD (1920*1080) resolution, you will not get much better than ~ 80 MB/min.

Full HD is still too much for most systems, let alone internet uploads.

For private videos I would even suggest to trim down the resolution at the cam to 720p.

I have converted most of my private videos to one of those two youtube compatible formats (H264):

720p (1280&720) needs about 30 MB/min.

(mathematically Full HD is 2.67 times the size of 720p, 30 MB * 2.67 ~ 80 MB)

480p (854*480) about 8 MB/min.

That gives me the advantage that I can quickly upload each of my videos to youtube.

Can't tell you about Mac SW.

On Windows I use a program called "XMediaRecode".

I can not think of a way to improve codecs in such a dramatic way, so that Full HD would shrink to comparable sizes.

But who knows...

Edited by KhunBENQ