Protests hit Thai Motor Expo sales, attendance

webfact

Protests hit Thai Motor Expo sales, attendance
Kingsley Wijayasinha
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The ongoing political protests have hit the Thailand International Motor Expo, with organisers expecting a 15-per-cent drop in both attendance and sales.

Kwanchai Paphatphong, chairman of the organising committee of the event, said a total of just 30,074 orders had been placed through Sunday, but he expected a rebound during the last two days. The show, which is held at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, ends today.

Last year more than 84,000 orders were placed, but most resulted from the government's populist First Car-Buyer scheme. Kwanchai said on the opening day of the show that sales could reach 50,000 units this year, but later admitted that was too optimistic considering the political situation.

"Judging from the number of orders placed until [sunday], we think that by the end of the show about 40,000-plus orders would be placed," he said, adding that a large number of sales usually take place during the later stages when car companies seal the final deal with customers.

"Last year on the final day alone, as many as 14,000 orders were placed," he said.

As of Sunday, Toyota led the sales ranking with 6,707 orders, followed by Honda with 4,685 and Isuzu with 3,177.

The target of 1.6 million visitors is also being lowered, and Kwanchai now expects an attendance of 1.35 to 1.4 million.

"The forecast we announced prior to the show was rather optimistic and we did not consider the effects of the political protests," he said.

Nevertheless, he was in no way unhappy with this year's figures.

"Car buyers have been anticipating the event, which is a major car-buying festival, and most have not decided to postpone purchases due to the political situation," he said.

According to Kwanchai, Thai auto buyers rarely refuse the chance to purchase a new car.

"We separate the sadness of ongoing events and the happiness of owning a new car. The same situation happened during the great flood a couple of years ago. Many Japanese auto companies advised us to cancel the show for fear consumers would hold back on spending. But they did not and went ahead with purchases," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-10

There are no big promotions being offered either. Just the normal free film, 1 year insurance, low interest financing and Hello Kitty bags. I was very disappointed Isuzu Mu-X has no discount.

I seem to recall an article a few days / maybe a week ago where it was said the protests had no influence at all and it was all good. (you know the white lies)

I am sure the protests have an impact but the other points already named by posters would have a much larger impact.

The last paragraph is just awesome......I would suggest to YL to buy Suthep a new car & all his saddness & worries would be gone.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are two things that most Thais bring into every discussion no matter how insignificant, the first is food, and the second is politics. for some unknown reason they don't seem to know what comment is appropriate for what topic.

The last paragraph is just awesome......I would suggest to YL to buy Suthep a new car & all his saddness & worries would be gone.

There are two things that most Thais bring into every discussion no matter how insignificant, the first is food, and the second is politics. for some unknown reason they don't seem to know what comment is appropriate for what topic. 
And they love new cars too....even though they know they could hardly pay for the monthly installment.

The "Hello Kitty" bag is rather pricey but they throw in a Isuzu truck free of charge.

For the price of said "Hello Kitty" bag I would drive off anywhere in Central Europe with a very decent limousine - oh well!

The beautiful and the rich at work again draining the last Satang from the Isanees!

I seem to recall an article a few days / maybe a week ago where it was said the protests had no influence at all and it was all good. (you know the white lies)

I am sure the protests have an impact but the other points already named by posters would have a much larger impact.

Indeed. Last week all was good.

I am a bit confused about this. Who is placing orders and for what? Can a person off the streets walk in and purchase a single car at this show?

Orders are taken at the show and for a minimum deposit (a few thousand Baht) the vehicle manufacturer will add your name to the waiting list (sort of like a pre-deposit arrangement) and this is what they call advance sales.

At a later date the buyer can pay the deposit and arrange the finance.

That is the theory but what actually happens a lot of the time is a Thai will pay the few thousand Baht with absolutely no intentions of buying the vehicle.

The reason for this is that the Thai showing interest in the vehicle is with friends or business associates and will therefore gain face by being seen splashing out on a new vehicle.

The few thousand Baht is non refundable and then it is forfeited by the potential buyer.

Therefore, the advance sales that are often quoted are nowhere near a reflection of the real sales at this show.

The manufacturers will rarely offer any special packages on these shows, so if someone was serious about buying the vehicle they would be better off negotiating at the dealer's showroom.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1