Help Me, Please..

sirchai

Dear members,

I know that there're some really good guys using TVF. Here's my problem, I've never experienced. SOMETHING ( and I don't even see what) makes my drive C so full, that I always deleted programs to be able to use my notebook.

It's a Dell Inspiron, 2 GB of RAM, with Windows 7 on it. I had Acronis on it, ( aback up and recovery system) but also deleted this one.

I've never seen, or heard of a similar problem. Advice urgently needed.....

Any input would be deeply appreciated/-wai2.gif

Start > type "cmd" hit enter

Black screen pops up, copy paste this:

forfiles /P C:\ /M *.* /S /D +"01/01/2012" /C "cmd /c if @fsize gtr 209715200 echo @path @fdate @fsize @ftime"

This command will check your C drive for files modified during this year (i.e. been getting bigger over time, or relatively new) that are larger than 200MB in size.

Go through the output list and check what you can delete. Don't delete something if you're unsure of what it is.

Edited by OxfordWill

forfiles /P C:\ /M *.* /S /D +"01/01/2012" /C "cmd /c if @fsize gtr 209715200 echo @path @fdate @fsize @ftime"

This command will check your C drive for files modified during this year (i.e. been getting bigger over time, or relatively new) that are larger than 200MB in size.

Go through the output list and check what you can delete. Don't delete something if you're unsure of what it is.

Thanks a lot. Tried your advice, typed cmd and got the black screen, that brought me to Users/Administrators. But then when I paste the other long file, but nothing happens.

Please check if that's the correct one. forfiles /P C:\ /M *.* /S /D +"01/01/2012" /C "cmd /c if @fsize gtr 209715200 echo @path @fdate @fsize @ftime"

"forfiles is not recognized as an intern or extern command, operable.program or batch file" when I hit enter. Please let me know how to deal with that.

Thanks a lot in advance.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

OP, your choice of topic headline is TOTALLY inappropriate for the text which follows it. Probably the most inappropriate I have ever seen on this forum.

You never struck me to be a "Drama Queen" before.

I'd like to apologize. Black humor in times before Christmas is indeed inappropriate. Again, sorry for any inconvenience that my post might have caused to any TVF members,friends and their relatives.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

fixed...good job.

^...black humours ok...just depends which kind.

Hope you fix your puter, I have issues myself, painful things they are.

Hi,

Just found a house last Saturday, after living more than two months at an older lady's house after getting hit by a century flood.

Honestly, i must have developed a black humor, together with a lot of laughter, without realizing it. Keep smiling!-wai2.gif

Thanks a lot. Tried your advice, typed cmd and got the black screen, that brought me to Users/Administrators. But then when I paste the other long file, but nothing happens.

Please check if that's the correct one. forfiles /P C:\ /M *.* /S /D +"01/01/2012" /C "cmd /c if @fsize gtr 209715200 echo @path @fdate @fsize @ftime"

"forfiles is not recognized as an intern or extern command, operable.program or batch file" when I hit enter. Please let me know how to deal with that.

Thanks a lot in advance.-wai2.gif

Windows 7 should have it, if not,

http://www.dynawell.com/download/reskit/microsoft/win2000/forfiles.zip

Download it and put it in your c:/windows/system32 folder

You will need to download the above link then unzip it, then put the resulting forfiles.exe into the mentioned folder.

Edited by OxfordWill

Thanks to all the advises Honestly, I'd have thought of system restore etc...but something had turned my monitoring drive C off.

Teaching a few hours didn't make it easier to think clear and logical. Here's what I did. As I'd deleted so many programs to make space, it still made my drive c full, until I had only 100 MB left.

Then my mistake, which then led me to the solution and it might be a good advice for others, too. After I'd gotten a new hard drive installed, I wanted to be safe and installed Acronis Back Up and Recovery. Found it when I went swimming in the bay......

Okay, I tried to compress my files on drive c which was a huge mistake, as I couldn't start my system up anymore. ( An important file was compressed and therefore didn't boot.

I've got a drive c backup on my 1TB external drive, but couldn't boot using any USB items. Then the good luck. I had also made a CD to boot my machine up, when having a problem.

That was the only possibility to get to the menu to chose a recover/restore session I've got on my external drive. I still don't know what has caused the problem, but I'm back to normal, installing some stuff, I haven't had, when I made my back up.

I freed 40 GB and it's a real phenomenon what had caused this problem. Thanks again. Fell in love with Acronis.-wai2.gif .

Try Clean Up on your C drive (Right click and a pie chart shows). In the options make sure WINDOWS UPDATES is checked. This will look at your WinSxs file which gets bigger and bigger as you install more stuff. I gained over 6 Gb doing this. And of course, remove all but the last restore point but ONLY IF you are happy with the way your PC is running.

Here we go again.....Seems so longer I'm working with (at) my notebook, or PC, so less I understand it. Okay had my successful recovery through Acronis, but then I found out that there was no sound. Trying to update the sound card worked, but it shows that there's no Audio device?

Okay, I'm running Windows 7 on my machine and I just don't get tit any more. Advice would be deeply appreciated.-wai.gif

Open and Explorer Window on the C: Drive.

In the Search box, type *.* and hit Enter.

Wait for it to finish (listing every file it can see it may take several minutes).

Then click on the heading for Size and sort in descending order.

Then tell us what you see.

Open and Explorer Window on the C: Drive.

In the Search box, type *.* and hit Enter.

Wait for it to finish (listing every file it can see it may take several minutes).

Then click on the heading for Size and sort in descending order.

Then tell us what you see.

Found the "sound" problem, as it seems that the driver for the sound was an XP driver. Went online and downloaded the right one. The only problem now is that I've got two sound regulators now, but the microphone doesn't work.

Will find that and back all up, asap. Thanks for all.-wai2.gif

You could try a complete clean install of Windows and then all the programs you actually use. Over time you accumulate loads of apps you don't need.

If you are in Pattaya I could help. Cheers

I've found the little ghosts in my machine! My Windows 7 was just installed two months ago and I'm very happy that I'd found "Acronis" which I'd used to back my system up.

The only problem I had was that I installed the XP, instead of the W 7 sound driver. Once I had the Windows 7 driver installed, my microphone didn't work.

The only thing I had to change was the Skype setting, as the sound software was different. Thanks a lot for the tips.

The best solution for me is Acronis. Just backed my notebook and my PC up. If something happens, I know hot to deal with it now,-wai.gif