European Union (EU) could ban Thai fruit

webfact

EU could ban Thai fruit

BANGKOK, 11 December 2013 (NNT) – The European Union (EU) could ban Thai fruit after flies were found in guavas imported from Thailand.

According to the Commerce Ministry, the EU has found fruit flies in guavas imported from Thailand. This was the third time within a year that Thailand failed to meet the EU’s quality standard requirements. The European Union only allows 5 mistakes per a 1-year period, starting from 1 August 2013 to 1 August 2014. If Thailand fails to meet the requirements two more times before August 1st next year, its fruit products to Europe will be suspended immediately. The EU has therefore asked the Thai exporters to be extremely careful when it comes to guavas, mangoes, and rose apples.

Furthermore, the EU has found pests in Thai vegetables and is on the brink of banning vegetables from Thailand. As a result, the Commerce Ministry will have to from now on limit the quantity of exported vegetables to Europe until the 1 year period ends. The period for Thai vegetable export is from 14 March 2013 to 14 March 2014.

If the EU puts a ban on Thai vegetables, there will be a shortage of vegetables in the European market, causing the prices to increase, which will in turn force the importers to buy vegetables from elsewhere like Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cyprus, and Spain.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-11 footer_n.gif

If the EU puts a ban on Thai vegetables, there will be a shortage of vegetables in the European market, causing the prices to increase, which will in turn force the importers to buy vegetables from elsewhere like Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cyprus, and Spain.

Isnt Spain in the EU?

They think they are 2nd world, but they are still third world!

But the EU regulations are often complete free of common sense.

I don't know the exact regulations, but that flies cause a ban but there is no word about chemicals on the fruits sounds strange.

I would bet my house that some fruits are exported from Thailand to the EU that are complete of the scale of pesticides but fly free.

Maybe in this case the EU is right and Thailand wrong...but the EU is an unlogic bureaucratic corrupt monster, not better than Thailand.

I read it as being a pest issue that the EU is ruling on here not a chemical issue. Pesticides is a human health issue but the concern here is new pests establishing in European orchards.

That aside with three warnings out of five already used in an August to August calendar year the chances are good with current Thai incompetence and corruption at all time highs that yet another stuff up is on its way that will further damage the Thai economy. This crap is just never ending. Thai lip service to the international community is failing Thailand big time. As with rice yet another golden opportunity for Thailand's neighbors to have Thai market share at the hands of Thai incompetence. And Thailand thinks they are going to be the hub of ASEAN. My sympathies to the third of Thais who are not corrupt and have to tolerate this constant garbage.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 2

Isnt Spain in the EU?

Don't forget little Cyprus please.

Actually the biggest bit to be precise. smile.png

I don't know the exact regulations, but that flies cause a ban but there is no word about chemicals on the fruits sounds strange.

I would bet my house that some fruits are exported from Thailand to the EU that are complete of the scale of pesticides but fly free.

Maybe in this case the EU is right and Thailand wrong...but the EU is an unlogic bureaucratic corrupt monster, not better than Thailand.

There are acceptable mrl for pesticides which if carried out correctly means the product should be pest free.

Flies in the box shows rubbish fumigation. Of course they are having a lot of practice on the rice so it will get better.

Maybe read again! Pest in vegetables....................

Isnt Spain in the EU?

Most vegetables from Spain are now exported to Thailand ,f the EU suspends purchasing vegetables from Thailand, the situation will cause a glut of vegetables in the Thai market causing the Thais to atop buying Spanish vegetables.thus releasing Spanish vegetables for European consumption, w00t.gif Brilliant ! more Spanish fly

Is Spain in the EU? well that's a complicated subject.laugh.png

• Like 1

Most Thai's have no concept of the high standards required of Vegetables and fruit in the EU and other Western style countries. My wife couldn't believe the high quality of products on sale in European Supermarkets the first time i took her to Europe and subsequently Australia and New Zealand. When she returned from these different countries she told her farming family members how fussy Western buyers are and they didn't believe her. Ignorance is bliss !

• Like 1

this is BAD news coz it means that mango and guava and other fruit farms will now spray even more pesticides on their crops!!!

really bad bad news for everyone.

bad news for the atmosphere, bad news for the soil, bad news for the people that handle them, bad news for the people that consume them.

• Like 1

Actually Thai vegetables have largely been replaced by imports from Cambodia and Vietnam in the UK now for quite some time. Started about 2009 when they first had to restrict exports due to pesticide levels, then in 2011 due to the pest infestations. They have never really regained much market share.

" If the EU puts a ban on Thai vegetables, there will be a shortage of vegetables in the European market, causing the prices to increase, which will in turn force the importers to buy vegetables from elsewhere like Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cyprus, and Spain."

No shortage. Importers were going elsewhere years ago.

I would estimate that 5 years ago Thailand accounted for at least 90% of lemongrass imported into the UK now its probably less than 5%.

Holly Basil or Chillies from Thailand almost never seen in the wholesale markets these days.

Add to that the fact that other countries are often more competitive on price and the outcome is inevitable.

Edited by roamer

Something has happened to the quality of Thai produce over the past few years, so not surprising that the EU have had enough. In Londons Chinatown, the best Thai Basil is now from within Europe and is cheaper. The best and cheapest Jasmine Rice available is now from Laos not Thailand.

Thai exporters must be suffering but i doubt anything will change.

We have to grow our own thai basil now.

We buy Indian papaya

Can't get any good quality thai stuff in Worcestershire.