Do I need Myanmar visa and if so can I get it in CM

mccw

Hello.

I would like some advise on the above please.

Basically I am planning to drive 3 or 4 days in to Myanmar to some temples with a group of Thais. They say we don't need any visa / no problem. I am the only farang so I'm not so sure about this for myself personally.

We are part of a group with Monks- not sure if they might make special provisions for Sangha pilgrimage type trips or not but that is the purpose incase the info might help the answer to question.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thais don't need one. You do. You can get one at the border for 500 baht. You do not need to prepare anything in advance. I think you can stay up to 14 days. They will want to know where you are spending the night. You will surrender your passport at the border and be given a temporary ID card. You pick up your passport when you leave Myanmar.

I'm not sure if Thais can stay overnight without a visa.

Edited by roger1999

Thanks very much roger1999

I did the day trip many times from Mae Sai but never stayed over there/ didn't know could be up to 14days. That's great.

Looking forward to it.

Any tips or things to be aware of?

Cheers

re

but never stayed over there/ didn't know could be up to 14days.

you can ! ... i did it !

but getting a thai car registered in a thai name ( your wifes )

across the border without her being there might be a bit of a problem ?

good luck

dave2

post-42592-0-06137500-1387039794_thumb.j

post-42592-0-56775800-1387039825_thumb.j

Mrs be coming too. So should be no problem I hope.

I just recall probably I accurately but some talk a while back on this forum about something like a car passport to take it round/ to neighbouring countries.

I stayed in Tackeliek for a few days last week and was hoping to be be able to travel to Kentung without a guide and was told it was not possible without a pre arranged visa from a burmese embassy.

They will not let you 'drive' for 3-4 days wherever.. anywhere.. to temples with Thais .. with the $10 - 500B border pass

I think you need to check this out a bit more before travelling.

I was in Tachilek yesterday and I think the '14 day pass' you get is only valid for the surrounding areas.

Am not absolutely sure and other advice given here may be correct but I think you need a visa.

As a suggestion play safe and post this question in the Myanmar section of this forum - clever people there.

• Like 1

I think you need to check this out a bit more before travelling.

I was in Tachilek yesterday and I think the '14 day pass' you get is only valid for the surrounding areas.

Am not absolutely sure and other advice given here may be correct but I think you need a visa.

As a suggestion play safe and post this question in the Myanmar section of this forum - clever people there.

Several years ago we my Thai wife and my son traveled through to Monglar with a overnight in Kengtong.

We had hired a Thai guide who had his own vehicle and spoke some kind of mixture language that was understandable to the Burmese people. We just sat there at the border while he took are passports and the wife's ID card in to the immigration office. He did every thing. We had to go through another check point about 100 miles in and once again he handled every thing.

Sorry I do not remember the cost or if the wife had a special paper as we never saw it. The driver had it all the time and was held responsible for it by the Burmese authorities.

Beautiful country. Found the people in Kengtong to be very friendly but over all a very sad atmosphere. Kind of like no hope. Monglar being on the border with China was a different scene. Only Chinese money taken. The people seemed to be a bit happier there.

I have a friend who took the trip on a bus and he said it was the same with him the bus driver handled every thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Btw as an update:

I was at Mae Sai border on 24th dec 2013. They said that with that 500bht temp pass thing it is not possible to leave the town. If wanting to go anywhere else an entry permit must be acquired from Bangkok and a guide or tour arranged.

They will want to know where you are spending the night. You will surrender your passport at the border and be given a temporary ID card. You pick up your passport when you leave Myanmar.

Love the people, but surrendering basic human rights at the border is why I'll never bother to put a foot on Burmese soil.

Don't forget they drive on the right. biggrin.png

They are also one of only three backward countries that are still living in the 19th century, not on the metric system:

map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_sy

They will want to know where you are spending the night. You will surrender your passport at the border and be given a temporary ID card. You pick up your passport when you leave Myanmar.

Love the people, but surrendering basic human rights at the border is why I'll never bother to put a foot on Burmese soil.

Don't forget they drive on the right. biggrin.png

They are also one of only three backward countries that are still living in the 19th century, not on the metric system:

map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_sy

LOL Canada is metric yet people still after over 40 years use imperial. I have seen tape measures in hardware stores that had no metric on them what so ever.

Forgot to mention most of their tape measures have metric on one side and imperial on the other. temperature wise they have not been given that big of a chance to stay silly.

Edited by northernjohn