Did you buy this Mini assembled in Thailand.

John 1

There's a lot of non-Thai registrations and no Thai registrations on the cars in the first shot. Which part of Thailand did you take these photos in? The people re-constructing these cars didn't object to their being photographed?

Or if it becomes the accident without any help for the same reasons. I find hard to believe they can completely bind the chassis without some tell tale signs if one looks closely, but for sure the average Joe buying it probably wouldn't be able to.

• Like 1

It probably also happens in Thailand didn't they just restrict used auto parts? From number plates would say that is Hong Kong or somewhere similar. Probably the car is one original unit cut in half to avoid excise duty etc..Which is why the cut lines are the same.

A few years ago I was taken way, way, way down the back behind a used car dealer on the way out to Nakon Nayok. There in and around a big shed were about 50 rust buckets. Totaled cars were being reconstructed and spray painted to be later sold in car tents. Would not have believed it unless I had seen it with my own eyes.

• Like 1

Happens all over.

The photos are from Hong Kong; probably one of the many yards between Sek Kong and Yuen Long.

Lost me, how do you know the photos are from HK? The plates on the cars may be but the OP suggests they are here in Thailand, likely shipped over & now being assembled by Thai's, OP it'd be nice if you provided some clarification?

You could be right, there was lot of work in the car to bring it that far, steering wheels missing, etc. and now indication what-so-ever of the body work it would have required to put it back together to that point..Paint not even blistered for example due to heat from welding.

• Like 1

Many Breakers in Thailand with 1/2 cars

There is a Breakers in Nonthaburi area, makes one wonder every time I drive past, about all the 1/2 cars there, most are Minis or 3 and 5 series BMWs and the drive away one outside with For Sale notice on them are ?.

As posted before many Countries have cut and shunt cars. remember some years ago a UK program on TV, stricked MOT yearly tests, a cut and shunt passed in most cases as was not spotted. [most only can be spotted if the carpets or head linner is removed]

That is why I would never buy a s/hand car in Thailand

Why? Because you think Thaialnd is the only country in the world where cut and shut cars are sold?

No because I live in Thailand - do not care less about the rest of the world.

Rather than weld the two ends together they should put them together with cantilevered hinges. Great for parking in small spaces as you can see in the first photo how little space would be required!! Could also make for an interesting driving experience!!

I have a theory, I don't think this car is being rebuilt in the pics, I think the pics are in the wrong order and the guys working on it are not rebuilding it but chopping it for export . I think the pics were taken in Singapore or HK by the look of the registration plates.

One of reasons I think that it not Thailand is that also on the scrap yard behind there are couple of Lexus coupe/convertibles (I think SC430's) which although 10 years old would still we worth over 1 - 2 M baht in Thailand, but practically worthless in Singapore when their Certificate of Entitlement (COE) had expired. You would not import a car like that intact to Thailand just to dump it on top of a van. Even if you had a smashed up one you would fix it up quick and put it on taladrod.

Also the paint in the intact pic of Mini is not fresh, if it had just been rebuilt from 2 halves it would have had a fresh respray. The Mini is a generation 1 new mini, so could be about 10 years old also suggesting it could be being scrapped in Sing for being at the end of its COE.

Never lived in HK so not sure it has a similar tax structure to Sing but I am sure someone on here will know.

cheers

Agree with you 100%. If this car was being re-assembled it's very unlikely that the passenger door would have been hung before the interior had been completed. This is not Thailand and I think that the fact that the OP has not come back to comment gives little creedence to his assertion that the photos were taken in Thailand. Just one more Thai basher.

The clothing that one of the workers can be seen wearing suggests that they are not Thais also, sturdy shoes and long trousers! I know I am generalising with this last comment but go to most breakers in Thailand and you will see mainly flip-flops and shorts.

I have a theory, I don't think this car is being rebuilt in the pics, I think the pics are in the wrong order and the guys working on it are not rebuilding it but chopping it for export . I think the pics were taken in Singapore or HK by the look of the registration plates.

One of reasons I think that it not Thailand is that also on the scrap yard behind there are couple of Lexus coupe/convertibles (I think SC430's) which although 10 years old would still we worth over 1 - 2 M baht in Thailand, but practically worthless in Singapore when their Certificate of Entitlement (COE) had expired. You would not import a car like that intact to Thailand just to dump it on top of a van. Even if you had a smashed up one you would fix it up quick and put it on taladrod.

Also the paint in the intact pic of Mini is not fresh, if it had just been rebuilt from 2 halves it would have had a fresh respray. The Mini is a generation 1 new mini, so could be about 10 years old also suggesting it could be being scrapped in Sing for being at the end of its COE.

Never lived in HK so not sure it has a similar tax structure to Sing but I am sure someone on here will know.

cheers

Agree with you 100%. If this car was being re-assembled it's very unlikely that the passenger door would have been hung before the interior had been completed. This is not Thailand and I think that the fact that the OP has not come back to comment gives little creedence to his assertion that the photos were taken in Thailand. Just one more Thai basher.

The clothing that one of the workers can be seen wearing suggests that they are not Thais also, sturdy shoes and long trousers! I know I am generalising with this last comment but go to most breakers in Thailand and you will see mainly flip-flops and shorts.

Please keep in mind that NOTHING is wasted here whistling.gif , and this ride is worth a lot of dosh, here......smile.png

If your language is English please read my OP there is no where I said I took the photo's why is this Thai bashing get your head out of your ass. As for Thai guy's wearing short's most would not be seen dead in short's so another of your stories shot down.

For the story on the Mini it's posted on a Thai web site and if you have a boy friend get him to call this number 0875522888 and you will gather more information,

Why? Because you think Thaialnd is the only country in the world where cut and shut cars are sold?

Irrelevant comment. He was talking only about Thailand. His thoughts about cut and shut cars refer only, therefore, in this instance, to Thailand.

These cars come in from Japan cut in half and are generally split and sold for spares. Take a ride into Baan phi BKK you will see many hundreds of all models down four streets full of dealers ripping them apart for sale in pieces (not welded together)

• Like 1

I've just looked at the original page and it's from the classifieds section of a Thai website. It's an ad. for a company called Daviza Auto Parts. They're based in Nonthaburi. They break up cars and sell the parts.

http colon //www dot bmwsociety dot com/classifieds/showboard dot asp?id=222901

Edited by samjaidee

Scary stuff. I was surprised to read that new Mini's have a terrible record for reliability. One expects BMW-built product to be of superb quality. The Suzuki Swift seems to be a great alternative, with a much lower price.

As for the photos...I don't see how a car glued together like that could last any time at all.

Scary stuff. I was surprised to read that new Mini's have a terrible record for reliability. One expects BMW-built product to be of superb quality. The Suzuki Swift seems to be a great alternative, with a much lower price.

As for the photos...I don't see how a car glued together like that could last any time at all.

In the UK it has gone on for years. smile.png Maga buck motors will be saved. Be sure about that..........smile.png

Cut in half front damaged and rear damaged cars and weld good halves together.

A professional using a special bench with vices to fix halves following manufacturers' specs can do the job as becoming (near) original and safe.

And what to think of extended/stretched VIP limos. Not safe for diplomats?

Come on, using professional tools including hydraulics and good welding does create safe wonders! Amazing to see how damages CAN be repaired.

When buying second hand car, scrutinize how bonnet, bootlid and doors fit with equal distances around to neighboring parts. Watch out for (partial) respray. Take your chance for a drive behind the car to check straight alignment between front and rear. Etcetera.

I recognize the good mechanic on his tools the way he uses them and how he likes his work.

It seems more likely to me that this car is being broken down rather than reassembled, although I have seen two halves joined to make a new car. There's no reason why it shouldn't be as strong as the original if it's welded properly.

I'd want to know its history if I was buying though so I could make an informed decision.

When I was living in Cambodia, I rented a motorcycle from a guy who imported disassembled dirt bikes and reassembled them. Apparently the taxes were much less on parts than complete bikes.

Seems excessive, but go ahead and pay that new car premium just for the smell.

There are risks to buying second hand vehicles, they could have a lot of replaced parts, or have been in an accident, but there are a lot of bargains to be had from reclaimed cars or those businesses have used for a year. Mine has served me well for 6 years now. Cars often last longer than relationships...... :D