Bangkok still a cheap cost of living location

webfact

Still much that is cheap here,

but with Thailand's inflation (20-30% / year), it's just a matter of time.

20-30% a year. LOL. Some things are cheaper here now than when I moved here almost 4 years ago. Rent hasn't gone up at all. So 0% inflation over 4 years. You are deluded if you think inflation is 20-30% p.a.

And what about food, like meat, milk, eggs. ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must all be on something. Bangkok, and other Tourist areas of Thailand are not cheap anymore. I have lived in Thailand off and on for more than 30 years and believe me, I am leaving soon for much cheaper places than here.

Where will you go that is so much cheaper than here? Thank you for sharing.

Bingo. I can only assume that he is talking Cambo or Vietnam, and neither has Bangkok's infrastructure. We had this brawl in the SE Asia forum about 6-8 months back when the GBP-THB exchange rates were hurting people - I know of several who claim to have gone back to Britain, but not one (to my knowledge) who relocated to another Asian country. I do know a guy who left Jakarta for Uzbekistan (!) some years back and claimed life (read 'nightlife') was fantastic - braver man than me. Perhaps pdwarf1 likes 'brisk' Winter mornings ? ;)

It is cheap. I got a 64 sqm flat less than 500m from the BTS for 9k, food delivered from the restaurant downstairs at 35-50 baht a dish, taxis are cheaper than London busses, you get a shirt made to measure for less than one from M&S in the UK, gas is 40 baht a litre, and it costs 120 baht to go 120 kilo to Pattya.

I could go on and on, but 12,000 pounds a year here beats 40 in the UK easily. Tourist areas have been mentioned, but they are hyper expensive everywhere.Stay away from them and you can live exceptionally well on very little.

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 1

The costs of many things seem to have risen a whole heck of a lot more than the cost of inflation, in particular eating out. The fish and chips at Sizzler used to be 169 baht, last I saw it was 249 - it rose around 30% in less than a year before I stopped eating there a year and a half ago. The costs of food everywhere have sky rocketed, or else the portions have shrunk a lot to keep the prices the same. It's incredible ! And when the 300 baht per day minimum wage happened, a great many places increased their prices despite no increase in their costs because 'people can afford it'. This is the Thai way of thinking...

The costs of many things seem to have risen a whole heck of a lot more than the cost of inflation, in particular eating out. The fish and chips at Sizzler used to be 169 baht, last I saw it was 249 - it rose around 30% in less than a year before I stopped eating there a year and a half ago. The costs of food everywhere have sky rocketed, or else the portions have shrunk a lot to keep the prices the same. It's incredible ! And when the 300 baht per day minimum wage happened, a great many places increased their prices despite no increase in their costs because 'people can afford it'. This is the Thai way of thinking...

Sizzler and its associated companies are an isolated case. Ex. an ice cream tub at DQ has gone from 45 for a large to 69 for a smaller 'large' in the last 6 months. They all belong to the Minor Group who for some reason hiked their prices thru the roof a while back. Other chain restaurants are pretty much the same prices as 2 or 3 years ago..

As for "people can afford it", if you think about it, any company that makes large profits is overcharging its customers. Bill Gates and Mr Jobs have been robbing us all for years but are held up as business icons. Robber barons would be more appropriate. Why shouldn't Thai businesses do the same?

Edited by Soi Sauce

20-30% a year. LOL. Some things are cheaper here now than when I moved here almost 4 years ago. Rent hasn't gone up at all. So 0% inflation over 4 years. You are deluded if you think inflation is 20-30% p.a.

Please name some items that are cheaper than 4 year ago.

Rent is down.

Shaving gel used to be 250 baht in villa market but is now 99 baht.

Canned goods down from 70-80 to 45-50 for the stuff I buy.

Orange flag boat 15 baht. I can't remember it going up in price. Maybe it did a little, but has not doubled as you suggest.

BTS prices have not gone up 20-30% a year, neither has MRT, train, bus, etc.

I could go on for ages. Prices are very reasonable here.

Add to that the fact that I now get 52 baht to the £, compared to 46 when I first arrived. But I haven't factored that in, as I'm comparing actual prices not exchange rates.

Lots more that I buy has gone down. Some has stayed the same, and some has gone up, but not too much. Maybe 10% over 4 years.

I don't spend any more now than I did then and I haven't cut back on anything.

If inflation was 20-30% as you say, everything would have doubled in price in 4 years. It clearly hasn't.

And what about food, like meat, milk, eggs. ?

4 years ago I paid 40 baht in my local lunch place. Now it's 45 baht. So 5 baht rise in 4 years. So about 3% a year rise. If prices had risen even 20% pa, the food would now be 89 baht. Portions are still huge.

What used to be 2 baht, but now it's free. So 100% deflation.

You must all be on something. Bangkok, and other Tourist areas of Thailand are not cheap anymore. I have lived in Thailand off and on for more than 30 years and believe me, I am leaving soon for much cheaper places than here.

Goodbye. Don't forget to pop back from time to time to let us know how you get on.

How can you say that the 300B min wage did not effect a company. You said "And when the 300 baht per day minimum wage happened, a great many places increased their prices despite no increase in their costs" this effects every company even if they don't have any employees (which I dont know any company that doesn't have an employee so your comment is crazy to say any company in Thailand was not effected and they increased price just because) they still have to buy supplies which will come from a company that does have employees. There is no way that the minimum wage didn't effect every company in Thailand. It killed my bottom line. I have over 100 employees and my labor cost almost doubled. I was already paying 190B a day so more than min wage but this hurt. I had to increase my prices as I had no choice and I had to look at ways to cut expense. One was I had free coffee available for the workers, and included breakfast and lunch at no cost had to stop that. I now only supply lunch. I was spending $400 a month on coffee alone and about another $1500 for meals for the workers but it was ok, now I feel like scrooge. Not only did my labor rates go up but the farmers we work with had to increase their price to us as they had to pay more for labor. So my raw material price went up too. I export so it was difficult to try to increase my price and still remain competitive. The govt was so stupid to promise such as thing without realizing all the effects.

Inflation in Thailand is not bad, no way is it 20-30% sure beer and alcohol went up but that was not inflation that was a tax from the government. Food cost went up due to increased costs for fertilizer and labor. Housing costs are still the same. Everyone complains but they will complain no matter where they are. Some guys said about going to a cheaper place to live, sure go to Vietnam or Cambodia but no way will you have the same as what you have in Thailand. You think Thailand is corrupt try Cambodia. I have a friend that manages a factory in Cambodia. One of his workers got hurt, a bad cut on his leg bleeding really bad. He took the guy to the hospital, before they would even look at him he had to pay, he had no cash and had to run out to an ATM to get some cash when he came back and gave them the cash they started. I will take Thailand any day of the week!

I live in Chiang Mai on my own on a basic UK pension plus another small pension in all about 40,000 baht a month. I live reasonably well, according to my own standards, with a small flat and a little motorbike. I eat well, travel around a bit, and even enjoy a few beers and a night out now and again, and I also get home once a year. Still I live on about half my income so I can even save a bit.

Compare this with living in the UK where my income would barely pay even pay the rent!

Having said that I have been in CM for nearly five years now and it's becoming a bit same same so I am thinking of relocating elsewhere in SE Asia. Any recommendations out there? Where is it even cheaper and even possibly more attractive to live? Are all locations beset with the same visa problems? (ps I stay on a 6 month tourist visa which with hassle I can stretch to 10 months).

Any thoughts anyone,

Thanks

If you have enough savings you could apply for a retirement visa. Or how about an education visa. Seems a better option than a tourist visa.

Cambodia visa situation is very easy. Get a business visa and you can renew easily for a year at a time. You don't even need a business. Bound to change in the future I suppose. But Thailand is one of the easiest places to get a visa from what I've seen.

Or as you're from UK,why not try a cheap EU country e.g. Portugal, Greece, Spain, Croatia. You won't need a visa. You can rent a nice condo on an island in Croatia for £200/month or less.

It's more expensive than Germany, beer, rent, cars and women all way way cheaper than Thailand.

What!! Please!

I assume you don't have a car, pay hookers, rent a home or drink beer.

I've been known to drink beer and pay hookers whilst driving a car, but this talk of renting houses is just outrageous ! ;)

It's more expensive than Germany, beer, rent, cars and women all way way cheaper than Thailand.

What!! Please!

I found it cheaper to live in the South of Spain.

Except the major expense was the South American ladies.

Unfortunately my Thai wife doesn't want to be that far away from the family.

All I know is that I came to Bangkok from Singapore, still work for a Singapore company on Singapore rates of pay and my living costs are 70 per cent lower.

Spent two years renting at THB 25k per month for 2 bed 2 bath 95m2 apartment in Sukhumvit Soi 8, similar in Singapore even then would have been SGD 4,000 per month (THB 100k) so four times the rent in Bangkok

Brought a 3 bed 2 bath 2 storey townhouse in Phra Khanong earlier this year, and even factoring in a complete set of furniture and a total redecoration only set me back THB 4 million try comparing that to Singapore or London prices

The only negative over that time has been the tories allowing the pound to devalue 30% which has reduced the amount of baht I get for my unearned income coming from UK

I for one have no plans to leave Bangkok

"The only negative over that time has been the tories allowing the pound to devalue 30% which has reduced the amount of baht I get for my unearned income coming from UK"

This has to be one of the dumbest statements I've seen for quite a while. The Tories didn't devalue the pound or allow it to be devalue. There was a financial crisis and the market decided they didn't like the pound and the pound fell versus many currencies that were considered safer, including many in Asia.

The fall in the pound started in 2008 when the crisis syarted. The Tories were not voted in until 2010. Prior to that it was Labour's Gordon Brown in power. As Labour ran the UK's reserves down to more or less zero there is no way they could have stopped the decline in the pound even if they had wanted to.

The problems the UK faced in the crisis were largely based on the state of its finances, weak banks and massive debt overload. Labour's policies over 15 years took the UK close to bankruptcy. The Tories in the past 3 years have tried to reduce spending and get the UK back on an even keel. So far their policy of the country living within its means seems to be working.

Really, talk about ignorance, but this really takes the biscuit.

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 2

All I know is that I came to Bangkok from Singapore, still work for a Singapore company on Singapore rates of pay and my living costs are 70 per cent lower.

Spent two years renting at THB 25k per month for 2 bed 2 bath 95m2 apartment in Sukhumvit Soi 8, similar in Singapore even then would have been SGD 4,000 per month (THB 100k) so four times the rent in Bangkok

Brought a 3 bed 2 bath 2 storey townhouse in Phra Khanong earlier this year, and even factoring in a complete set of furniture and a total redecoration only set me back THB 4 million try comparing that to Singapore or London prices

The only negative over that time has been the tories allowing the pound to devalue 30% which has reduced the amount of baht I get for my unearned income coming from UK

I for one have no plans to leave Bangkok

"The only negative over that time has been the tories allowing the pound to devalue 30% which has reduced the amount of baht I get for my unearned income coming from UK"

This has to be one of the dumbest statements I've seen for quite a while. The Tories didn't devalue the pound or allow it to be devalue. There was a financial crisis and the market decided they didn't like the pound and the pound fell versus many currencies that were considered safer, including many in Asia.

The fall in the pound started in 2008 when the crisis syarted. The Tories were not voted in until 2010. Prior to that it was Labour's Gordon Brown in power. As Labour ran the UK's reserves down to more or less zero there is no way they could have stopped the decline in the pound even if they had wanted to.

The problems the UK faced in the crisis were largely based on the state of its finances, weak banks and massive debt overload. Labour's policies over 15 years took the UK close to bankruptcy. The Tories in the past 3 years have tried to reduce spending and get the UK back on an even keel. So far their policy of the country living within its means seems to be working.

Really, talk about ignorance, but this really takes the biscuit.

Well said. Some people are so dumb that they can't grasp even simple facts. Labour party practically destroyed the UK all on their own.

• Like 2

Please name some items that are cheaper than 4 year ago.

Rent is down.

Shaving gel used to be 250 baht in villa market but is now 99 baht.

Canned goods down from 70-80 to 45-50 for the stuff I buy.

Orange flag boat 15 baht. I can't remember it going up in price. Maybe it did a little, but has not doubled as you suggest.

BTS prices have not gone up 20-30% a year, neither has MRT, train, bus, etc.

I could go on for ages. Prices are very reasonable here.

Add to that the fact that I now get 52 baht to the £, compared to 46 when I first arrived. But I haven't factored that in, as I'm comparing actual prices not exchange rates.

Lots more that I buy has gone down. Some has stayed the same, and some has gone up, but not too much. Maybe 10% over 4 years.

I don't spend any more now than I did then and I haven't cut back on anything.

If inflation was 20-30% as you say, everything would have doubled in price in 4 years. It clearly hasn't.

So your landlord actually lowered your rent, or did you move place ?

Villa lowered the price for their shaving gel with 70%, being the same brand and same volume. Next you gonna say that they have flying pigs for sale in the butcher department.

Even the canned goods with not 10% or 15%, but an astonishing 50%. Can you please elaborate on the name of those goods and if it is a promotion or sale?

I moved, but rent on last condo is now lower than we paid. If we'd stayed the landlord told us he'd lower the rent. Yes, Villa Market have huge discounts on many products. Runs out end of year. Go to Villa Market and look for the red labels on the shelves. There are 100s of them. This is in Silom branch, but I assume it's available in other branches, as I've also seen it advertised.

Edited by davejones

I moved, but rent on last condo is now lower than we paid. If we'd stayed the landlord told us he'd lower the rent. Yes, Villa Market have huge discounts on many products. Runs out end of year. Go to Villa Market and look for the red labels on the shelves. There are 100s of them. This is in Silom branch, but I assume it's available in other branches, as I've also seen it advertised.

Because some item is at a temporary promotion price doesn't mean it got cheaper.Probably items that have reached shelf life or will be discontinued.

As you say, runs out at the end of the year and will then be back to normal price, which is higher than 4 years ago.

What you claim is the same as someone who find 100 Baht on the sidewalk and claims that money is free in Thailand.

"The inflation rate in Thailand was recorded at 1.92 percent in November of 2013. Inflation Rate in Thailand is reported by the Bureau of Trade and Economic Indices, Ministry of Commerce, Thailand. Inflation Rate in Thailand averaged 4.61 Percent from 1977 until 2013, reaching an all time high of 24.56 Percent in June of 1980 and a record low of -4.38 Percent in July of 2009."

That's from http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/inflation-cpi

From 2000-2013, inflation is Thailand has averaged around 3.0 to 3.5%.

You believe this cr*p?

3rd world countries usually fake inflation numbers by choosing products on inflation calculations. For example, they don't include price hike on Beef, but perhaps they include price of CP fish or something. They don't include price of gasohol or lpg, but they include heavily subsidied CNG or price fixed Diesel instead. They include price of national park tickets for Thai, but they don't include price hike of street food.

Understand?

Yes Sir, and the United States of Bluff and Bull does it too!

US, REAL inflation at 20-30% - same, same here in LOS.

Beer, booze, streetfood, hom mali, cooking oil, etc. etc. - everything has gone up, crazy up..

Because some item is at a temporary promotion price doesn't mean it got cheaper.Probably items that have reached shelf life or will be discontinued.

As you say, runs out at the end of the year and will then be back to normal price, which is higher than 4 years ago.

What you claim is the same as someone who find 100 Baht on the sidewalk and claims that money is free in Thailand.

Normal price is same as 3.5 years ago. Of course discount count. A price is a price. 3.5 years ago is was 250 all year, now it's 250 for 10 months and 99 for 2 months. So that's cheaper. That's how inflation is calculated. They go around and check prices. It's what you actually pay, not some notional price.

Anyway, the point is that most prices aren't rising. Bangkok is incredibly cheap. A small fraction of places like London,

Edited by davejones

Normal price is same as 3.5 years ago. Of course discount count. A price is a price. 3.5 years ago is was 250 all year, now it's 250 for 10 months and 99 for 2 months. So that's cheaper. That's how inflation is calculated. They go around and check prices. It's what you actually pay, not some notional price.

Anyway, the point is that most prices aren't rising. Bangkok is incredibly cheap. A small fraction of places like London,

At Makro, minced beef went from 270 Baht to 280 Baht and chicken boneless breast from 91 to 99 Baht/kilo just this week, so no prices aren't rising.

This are just 2 items I recall as I bought them on friday.

The discussion is whether inflation is running at 20-30% a year. It is clearly not, even if some of your items went up in price last week. Is your total shopping bill 20-30 more than a year ago? Are your transport costs 20-30% higher? Is your rent 20-30% high. Of course prices are rising, as inflation is around 2%.

Inflation also means wages are rising. So prices go up 2% and so do wages, although sometimes you gain and sometimes you lose.

I'm not claiming that every single price is the same. I'm claiming the inflation is very low and that some prices are dropping or stagnant. The condos in last two buildings I lived in (2 and 3 years ago) are the same rent or a little lower. In this building the rents are the same as I saw them advertised 2 years ago when I considered living here. Rent is a big part of most people's expenses, and I don't see any sign of inflation in condo rents.

Meat tens to go up and down in price. It will be back down soon. And like you say, temporary prices shouldn't be counted. So just because your meat is more expensive this week doesn't count,because it will be back down soon.

Total poppycock!

Or is that a typo or oversight while sipping to much changburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif LOLfacepalm.gif AND YOU meant 2-3%?

I've been here for almost every UK winter for 20 years, and say food prices have gone up the most, however even here its only around 3% ...

My aparment rent has increased twice in 10 years by 2.5%

Bangers is STILL cheap as CHIPS ...guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gifguitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

• Like 1

I just had a pint of imported Hoegarden beer. Just cannot stand the crappy local beers.

It was 330 baht. I think only ever in Singapore i paid more for a glass of beer. Tokyo is cheaper. And while Bangkok more and more has first world costs, it is still third world once you step out of the door.

I just had a pint of imported Hoegarden beer. Just cannot stand the crappy local beers.

It was 330 baht. I think only ever in Singapore i paid more for a glass of beer. Tokyo is cheaper. And while Bangkok more and more has first world costs, it is still third world once you step out of the door.

If you buy imported things they tend to be more expensive.

But a small bottle of Heineken in a pub in London is around £4-5 (200-250 baht), In New York about $7-9 (210-270 baht), while in Bangkok it's around 50-75 baht.

Not sure why all the expats in Bangkok aren't moving to Germany and Tokyo where they claim it's cheaper. Obviously they know it's cheaper here but for some reason won't admit it.

Imrting goods in UK are mega expensive as well e.g. durian, dragon fruit, etc. Sometimes 10 times the price of Bangkok.

• Like 2

No offence, mate but "Boo Hoo! Tell it ta the judge".

You don't like local beer; you want a pint of an imported beer.

You gotta pay for that.

Pay your money, take your pick

• Like 1

^^

That's what i actually did, HS. I can afford 330 baht for a beer, but it is not cheap at all. I like some decent life style, and "decent" does not mean beer Leo and Phat Thai.

I'd move to Tokyo any time, if they'd give me a proper visa and the weather would not be crap 6 months of the year....

• Like 1