Helmet recommendations

dave_boo

Love my HJC AC-12 in carbon fiber...but it's getting ridiculously old. I need suggestions on a new lid. If purchased locally in Thailand would like it to be 18 000 THB or less. Purchased overseas want it to be 15 000 THB or less to make the difference in shipping/import duties palatable.

I have a longish shaped head (please no recommendations for the round helmets) in a fitted cap size of 7 5/8. Requires large amount of air being moved through it. Must be full faced. Not too big about funky graphics, but those can be removed if only stickers and is not a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Take a look at the new Shoei RF-1200- I've been wearing the RF series for 15 years (I'll be buying a 1200 when my current RF-1100 wears out) and it works well for any type of riding. I also quite like my Shoei GT-Air- it's a step up from the RF series, but it's not quite as sporty- it's got great air-flow and is an excellent choice for LOS, though.

• Like 1

Take a look at the new Shoei RF-1200- I've been wearing the RF series for 15 years (I'll be buying a 1200 when my current RF-1100 wears out) and it works well for any type of riding. I also quite like my Shoei GT-Air- it's a step up from the RF series, but it's not quite as sporty- it's got great air-flow and is an excellent choice for LOS, though.

Thanks.

The GT-Air looks interesting; seeing as I am not even close to sporty like a lot of our boardmembers here. I.E. I am not a poser and my fashion sense is only slightly better than the locals. The review on Revzilla also brings up two more tidbits of information that may help the recommendations. I always ride with my Shure SE535 in so a noisy helmet doesn't bother me. I also always pack along some sunglasses so an internal visor isn't a requirement either (how much space do they actually take up?).

^^

The RX-7 line is discontinued, I believe- I think the RX-Q is the replacement.

There may be some leftovers, though.

^

I like the sun visor as I take a lot of sunrise rides where I need to switch to sunglasses halfway through, and it saves me having to stop. It also comes with a pin-lock visor. It's nice to have a quiet helmet regardless of the use of earplugs, especially if you use some form of headphones for a GPS, telephone, music, or whatever as there will be less background noise.

'Sportiness' isn't really about posing- the RF line has less wind turbulence at speed than the GT-Air, and its profile lends itself better to a tucked position.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Thanks.

The GT-Air looks interesting; seeing as I am not even close to sporty like a lot of our boardmembers here. I.E. I am not a poser and my fashion sense is only slightly better than the locals. The review on Revzilla also brings up two more tidbits of information that may help the recommendations. I always ride with my Shure SE535 in so a noisy helmet doesn't bother me. I also always pack along some sunglasses so an internal visor isn't a requirement either (how much space do they actually take up?).

I got the GT Air and i love it the sun visor does not take space and it actually comes in handy once in a while. Nice quiet helmet, only need to buy a cheap new one for on the scooter so i can leave it with the scooter without too much hassle. Expensive helmets are nice... but not for lying around.

• Like 1

^^

^

I like the sun visor as I take a lot of sunrise rides where I need to switch to sunglasses halfway through, and it saves me having to stop. It also comes with a pin-lock visor. It's nice to have a quiet helmet regardless of the use of earplugs, especially if you use some form of headphones for a GPS, telephone, music, or whatever as there will be less background noise.

'Sportiness' isn't really about posing- the RF line has less wind turbulence at speed than the GT-Air, and its profile lends itself better to a tucked position.

Going back over my post I can see it was poorly worded.

There was two different thoughts there; one was that I do not do track days or ride at super high speed. Two was that since there is no need for me to have a demand for a sporty helmet, it's not even on my list of requirements. In my mind, those that do ride at high speeds, and those that do track days, require a sporty helmet. The rest of us are either fashion conscious or posers.

Apologies to all who read my, admittedly bad post, and came away thinking I was slagging their choice of helmet.

I think the current RX7-RR5 here in Asia is the equivalent of the European RX7-GP and NA Corsair V ?

At least saw a ton of them in Chiap Lee, Singapore last time I was there.

Maybe- I don't know Arai as well as I know Shoei- it's possible the numbers are different in the States as opposed to Europe (Shoei also does that with the RF line, which is called XR in Europe)- you could be correct- I do know that the RX-Q line was made to replace at least some versions of the RX-7 line in the US.

DaveB,

If your HJC fits well and you are happy with it, simply buy another. Otherwise you'll have to go through the fitting exercise, which you cannot do on-line.

Similar to finding running shoes one likes. Either buy the same or start the fitting process again.

BTW Paddock has a year end sale and they sell HJC! Or go to the shop and try on something else.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Based on your head as per your description, shoei would be your best bet!

Like you, I had a hard time trying to get the best helmet due to the shape of my head (no pun intended, really none intended)

Finally settle for a shoei, comfort, rnd, airflow etc..

Used them in a daily basis with the occassional trip to Laos.

• Like 1

One of the best now for all around use, be it track or touring.

But talked with paddock and they said it will take 6 months for them to receive the first lot of Shoei rf 1200. Possibly will be my new helmet.

Anyoen knwos any other shop that sells Shoei? Someone posted the facebook link at this forum but could not locate it again.

Dave, if you are on a budget, AGV has nice helmets nowadays in Thailand, strong, colorful and stylish. Starts from 6000 thb and goes high end above 30 k.

Arai has some nice models as well for like 15 - 18,000 thb.

or what about a Schuberth made in Germany and once of the best in this world in terms of quality, form and function. Panda rider has really nice models starting around 15 k thb to 24 k thb for top model. if i was not a Shoei lover, i might consider one as it looks really technologically advanced. Also, you can find Bell Helmets, Suomi Helmets and other models at Panda Rider as well but pricey a bit.

Or you can check Paddock and old models of Shoei like GT air or x12.

I am also looking for a new helmet nowadays. My Shoei x11 is great but inner pads worn out and it is 5 and a half years old now but they want 6200 thb for the inner pads at Paddock!!! So, instead of paying 6200 thb, i am also thinking to get a nice helmet.

good luck on your quest!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

^^

^

There was two different thoughts there; one was that I do not do track days or ride at super high speed. Two was that since there is no need for me to have a demand for a sporty helmet, it's not even on my list of requirements. In my mind, those that do ride at high speeds, and those that do track days, require a sporty helmet. The rest of us are either fashion conscious or posers.

Apologies to all who read my, admittedly bad post, and came away thinking I was slagging their choice of helmet.

DB no one ever thought you were a bastard, well maybe for a minute or two :D

• Like 1

DaveB,

If your HJC fits well and you are happy with it, simply buy another. Otherwise you'll have to go through the fitting exercise, which you cannot do on-line.

Similar to finding running shoes one likes. Either buy the same or start the fitting process again.

BTW Paddock has a year end sale and they sell HJC! Or go to the shop and try on something else.

HJC fit 'ok'. Slight pressure on the forehead. I figure it's time for me to move up out of the budget line of helmets. The other reason is that I've been looking into this on my own and, other than being overwhelmed by the choices, have read a lot of criticism that HJC has gone to a lower end appearing/feeling product.

Based on your head as per your description, shoei would be your best bet! Like you, I had a hard time trying to get the best helmet due to the shape of my head (no pun intended, really none intended) Finally settle for a shoei, comfort, rnd, airflow etc.. Used them in a daily basis with the occassional trip to Laos.

Appreciate your additional recommendation for Shoei.

One of the best now for all around use, be it track or touring.

But talked with paddock and they said it will take 6 months for them to receive the first lot of Shoei rf 1200. Possibly will be my new helmet.

Anyoen knwos any other shop that sells Shoei? Someone posted the facebook link at this forum but could not locate it again.

Dave, if you are on a budget, AGV has nice helmets nowadays in Thailand, strong, colorful and stylish. Starts from 6000 thb and goes high end above 30 k.

Arai has some nice models as well for like 15 - 18,000 thb.

or what about a Schuberth made in Germany and once of the best in this world in terms of quality, form and function. Panda rider has really nice models starting around 15 k thb to 24 k thb for top model. if i was not a Shoei lover, i might consider one as it looks really technologically advanced. Also, you can find Bell Helmets, Suomi Helmets and other models at Panda Rider as well but pricey a bit.

Or you can check Paddock and old models of Shoei like GT air or x12.

I am also looking for a new helmet nowadays. My Shoei x11 is great but inner pads worn out and it is 5 and a half years old now but they want 6200 thb for the inner pads at Paddock!!! So, instead of paying 6200 thb, i am also thinking to get a nice helmet.

good luck on your quest!

Not on a budget as much as being frugal...can't shake it. I know that my last helmet has lasted me 5+ years...and a 25k helmet amortised costs less than I spend on internet but it's still a shock to my wallet. Thus the rationale behind the 18k local purchase or 15k import. I checked out Schuberth and while they seem to be really technologically advanced, the strap issue (which people say isn't a big deal on a sportsbike) and comments regarding fitting a rounder head have turned me off.

I had already looked at Panda's website; am going through Paddock's now.

• Like 1

^^

^

DB no one ever thought you were a bastard, well maybe for a minute or two biggrin.png

I'm getting old and losing my touch if it was only a minute or two. facepalm.gif

I think the current RX7-RR5 here in Asia is the equivalent of the European RX7-GP and NA Corsair V ?

At least saw a ton of them in Chiap Lee, Singapore last time I was there.

Maybe- I don't know Arai as well as I know Shoei- it's possible the numbers are different in the States as opposed to Europe (Shoei also does that with the RF line, which is called XR in Europe)- you could be correct- I do know that the RX-Q line was made to replace at least some versions of the RX-7 line in the US.

I've used Arai for many years, in fact the RX-Q was the replacement for the Quantum, which is a decent helmet (I had one of those too) but it's not as good as the RX7.

The Corsair V is the latest iteration of the RX7 for the US and is the exact same helmet as RX7 RR5 currently sold here.

Currently since I only use a scooter I have an open face SZ Ram 3 which I got at the time I bought my TMax. That's nicely vented too and suits the climate and my needs better for now.

An interesting alternative for these parts could be the Givi X08 convertible, my buddy used one on his Z1000 ?

I am an Arai guy. Love my RX7-RR5 (like someone said = RX7-GP in Europe). Other Arai models are lower spec I believe.

The RR5 is already over 6 years in production. There is going to be a replacement in 2014. I am waiting for that one.

.... the cooler (more air circulation) the helmet, the noisier it is. Can't have both I'm afraid.

Edited by Nickymaster

I like & have 2 Shoei's back in California. I did have arai but found the Shoei's to fit more comfortable than the Arai's & cause of that it kept the road noise down. And the ventilation is great in the Shoei.

But your head knows what is best for you. Just try on the different types & you should be able to pick out the one that is snug & feels right to you. Thailand is tough getting a helmet cause I think most of the companies tend to get the rounder head helmets.Some of the Sharks are not bad either.

Good luck on your gear. Don't rush into it the worst thing is to get a helmet that you hate or just don't like. If it is to tight it will just gather dust instead of getting used.

I found the Bell and Shark helmets a bit tight (the Bell was gorgeous blue with white stripe but either very tight or very loose).

I went with an Airoh flip front with secondary tinted visor. Perfect for Thailand imo. 12,800B at Panda a couple of years ago.

I have a longish head and looking for a helmet also.

Forget about Arai. All Arai made for the asian market are round. I have two Arais at home that don't fit as a testament to that... Arai only when purchased in the west. What is particularly annoying about this is that they have the same model names in the west and in Asia.... but different head shapes! Asian are all round, in the west they have different shapes up to extremely long oval (Signet Q).

Forget about Shoei - same reason. All Asian market models are round.

Most Shark helmets are round as well; this is very hard to track and seems to change every year. I tried the Shark Race Pro Carbon (?) at Honda Big Wing and it _seemed_ OK - cautiously optimistic there. A good deal at 18,500 baht - same price as in the USA.

SparX helmets are cheap and fit my head - I have three of them; the problem is they're really cheap and so don't work well in the rain, they're not very quiet, just a very basic helmet for around 4,000 Baht.

Tried an LS2 carbon recently also that fit me pretty well, I might end up buying that. It's 7,000 Baht and 1250 grams - very, very light. Just don't know about the brand.

RevZilla recommended I buy the Bell RS-1 for oval head shape. They have this helmet at dirtshop thailand not too expensive. I don't know about the other Bell models.

Edited by nikster

This is what Revzilla says about Shoei and Arai head shapes:

Another consideration as we look at this list of helmets is head-shape. Arai covers a broad variety with a long-oval Signet-Q, intermediate-oval RX-Q, and neutral oval Vector 2. Shoei comes close, but is missing a true long oval. Round oval is covered by Shoei with the Qwest or the Multitec, the RF-1100 and the GT-Air are on the long side of intermediate-oval, and the rest fall in-between. Arai has consistently been heralded as the master of fit and this is evidenced by their commitment to running the gamut of headshapes.

http://www.revzilla.com/shoei-helmets-vs-arai-helmets

^

OK- I agree it looks like a nice helmet- Motorcycle Superstore is closing some models out, and they ship to LOS- the reviews are pretty mixed, though:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/18264/i/arai-corsair-v-helmet

Wait they don't seem to ship to LOS - at least I don't see it in the checkout options...?! Or maybe it depends on the model chosen? Bell RS-1 for $200 would be quite the deal.

This is what Revzilla says about Shoei and Arai head shapes:

Another consideration as we look at this list of helmets is head-shape. Arai covers a broad variety with a long-oval Signet-Q, intermediate-oval RX-Q, and neutral oval Vector 2. Shoei comes close, but is missing a true long oval. Round oval is covered by Shoei with the Qwest or the Multitec, the RF-1100 and the GT-Air are on the long side of intermediate-oval, and the rest fall in-between. Arai has consistently been heralded as the master of fit and this is evidenced by their commitment to running the gamut of headshapes.

http://www.revzilla.com/shoei-helmets-vs-arai-helmets

As I said above, all Arai (and Shoei) made for Asia are round. So if you buy an Arai in Thailand, none of this applies. They're all round. If you buy them overseas, you're good.