Surapong claims now 50 countries support February 2 election

webfact

212003-imagejpeg-3231551-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) announced at noon today that a total of 50 countries and the United Nations have supported the government’s scheduled election on February 2.

In a live broadcast on Channel 11, CAPO head Surapong Tovichakchaiklul, also deputy prime minister and foreign minister, said that since December 9- 16, the government has received support from 50 countries to go ahead with the general election February 2 as it is the democratic way to resolve the country’s differences.

He said that latest countries voicing support for the government are India, Bangladesh, and the United Nations.

He also claimed that the UN secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon welcomed the elections in Thailand as it is the democratic way to resolve the problems in the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/surapong-claims-now-50-countries-support-february-2-election/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-18

• Like 1

The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) announced at noon today that a total of 50 countries and the United Nations have supported the government’s scheduled election on February 2.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif Who the hell is that ALIEN Foreign Minister from the other planet?????..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee

If my memory serves me right the first we had on this, 40+ supported a peaceful outcome and "SHOWED CONCERN" read it.

5 or so said about elections only----This man has turned the story about the previous that showed concerned into supporting elections.

IF I AM WRONG please smack me across the kisser. the other claim was CONCERN from 40, please anyone remember.??????

Where are the journalist on this? Elections without reform? Is that what other countries propose? What countries? What proof has he shared that they are backing a Feb. 2nd election?

Right, I got it... "Thaksin thinks and the world acts."

• Like 1

Where are the journalist on this? Elections without reform? Is that what other countries propose? What countries? What proof has he shared that they are backing a Feb. 2nd election?

The original letters were from countries SHOWING CONCERN, why do we miss this ???? was it a miss print. only half a dozen said re elections.

Will not point it out again on this thread it's not worth the time. WHYBOTHER usually picks up on points like this. Please help as this guy has spun the story around to election rather than CONCERN.

• Like 1

The original letters were from countries SHOWING CONCERN, why do we miss this ???? was it a miss print. only half a dozen said re elections.

Will not point it out again on this thread it's not worth the time. WHYBOTHER usually picks up on points like this. Please help as this guy has spun the story around to election rather than CONCERN.

The problem here is culture. The Thai press won't go after him because he's rich and powerful. They'll wai his bottom because that's what they've been taught to do. They really don't know anything else. It's sad because I know that many Thai journos here would like to do more.

50 countries express concern about Thailand’s political situation
By Digital Content

13873497947902-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 18 -- Some 50 countries have expressed concern about Thailand's political situation and given support to Thailand in its political movement to uphold democracy under the Thai Constitution, according to caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

Mr Surapong, in his capacity as Director of Center for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), said that until now 50 countries have issued statements endorsing Thailand’s democracy and wanting Thailand to keep on the democracy path.

He said the latest countries that issue statements on situation in Thailand are India and Sri Lanka.

Moreover, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, in annual year-end statement has mentioned on Thailand, calling on all parties to refrain from using force.

The UN chief has also said that he is pleased with the Thai government's decision to resolve the political tension through the democratic process, Mr Surapong said.

The deputy premier said this was considered the first time in the world arena that as many as 50 countries have issued similar statements on Thailand's political situation in one week.

These countries have shared the same concern and did not want Thailand to leave the democratic path, said Mr Surapong. (MCOT online news)

xtnalogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VDX5E1OBGx.web
-- TNA 2013-12-18

• Like 2

50 countries express concern about Thailand’s political situation

By Digital Content

BANGKOK, Dec 18 -- Some 50 countries have expressed concern about Thailand's political situation and given support to Thailand in its political movement to uphold democracy under the Thai Constitution, according to caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

Mr Surapong, in his capacity as Director of Center for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), said that until now 50 countries have issued statements endorsing Thailand’s democracy and wanting Thailand to keep on the democracy path.

He said the latest countries that issue statements on situation in Thailand are India and Sri Lanka.

Moreover, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, in annual year-end statement has mentioned on Thailand, calling on all parties to refrain from using force.

The UN chief has also said that he is pleased with the Thai government's decision to resolve the political tension through the democratic process, Mr Surapong said.

The deputy premier said this was considered the first time in the world arena that as many as 50 countries have issued similar statements on Thailand's political situation in one week.

These countries have shared the same concern and did not want Thailand to leave the democratic path, said Mr Surapong. (MCOT online news)

xtnalogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VDX5E1OBGx.web

-- TNA 2013-12-18

Thanks for that, confirms what I said.

This man has twisted it around, showed concern at Thai problems" NOT BACKING ELECTIONS,clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

He should ask how many western country support vote buying....

But my question is: Everyone: PTP, PAD, Democrats, Suthep ask what the other countries think.

It is a problem of Thailand not of any other countries. It is not important if other countries support or don't support the elections.

• Like 1

PT will win the election whenever it is, so suck it up, haters (I hate PT myself, but hate haters of democratic principle way more). Just see how much damage buffalizard Suthep does to the metropolis trying to keep the spotlight with childish rants and transgressions in the interim.

• Like 1

Er.... essentially that is what any Western democracy will mean. Resolving differences via the democratic process, ie the ballot box.

Up to the protesters and Dems to convince their opponents of the superiority of their policies, and to change their votes. Shouldn't be so difficult for those of a superior intellect, should it?

biggrin.png

Nothing to do with intellect. It is what the diplomatic letters said. 50 countries showing concern re the unrest, is NOT the same as 5 supporting elections

NOTING TO DO with Democrats --this topic is showing this mans statement to tell porky pies. Twisting subject matter, you do not have to be an intellect to see this.

(that's how I picked it up from the original topic a few days ago )thumbsup.gif .

So whats the big issue? The government never cared about what other countries thought of Thailand before. Now all of a sudden its a major thing. Before it was, "welcome to Thailand, spend your money and go home and don't interfere with us".

PT will win the election whenever it is, so suck it up, haters (I hate PT myself, but hate haters of democratic principle way more). Just see how much damage buffalizard Suthep does to the metropolis trying to keep the spotlight with childish rants and transgressions in the interim.

I feel the same as far as not liking the running style of this government, but again you are evading the amount of damage our Dubai man has done, Suthep is no angel, he rants and raves but we all do when provoked, he feels the government has provoked enough. If he is wrong and someone has to cast judgment let it be fair and in line to the judgment shown to Thaksin.

Global support for Thailand strong, says Surapong
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Surapong Tohvichakchaikul, in his capacity as chief of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), claimed on Wednesday that 50 countries have expressed concern at the political chaos in Thailand.

"This marks the first time in the global community that 50 countries have expressed their support to a country. The countries have issued statements between December and today in support of Thailand. They do not want Thailand to go at astray," he said.

"They want all parties in Thailand to initiate dialogue to settle the problems and say they should abide by the constitution and democratic system.

The latest countries to release statements were India and Sri Lanka. UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon has also expressed his support.

He insisted that he is not using the foreign countries to put pressure on the ongoing anti-government protests. "However I want to warn the protesters that any actions that go against democracy will send the country backwards," he said.

He considered as an act of hooliganism the protesters' plan to march to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's residence. Police have already been alerted to provide protection.

Surapong claimed that he would have letters sent to the United Nations and human rights organisations to explain what he claims are violation of human rights by the protesters.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-18

Er.... essentially that is what any Western democracy will mean. Resolving differences via the democratic process, ie the ballot box.

Up to the protesters and Dems to convince their opponents of the superiority of their policies, and to change their votes. Shouldn't be so difficult for those of a superior intellect, should it?

biggrin.png

Nothing to do with intellect. It is what the diplomatic letters said. 50 countries showing concern re the unrest, is NOT the same as 5 supporting elections

NOTING TO DO with Democrats --this topic is showing this mans statement to tell porky pies. Twisting subject matter, you do not have to be an intellect to see this.

(that's how I picked it up from the original topic a few days ago )thumbsup.gif .

They may have phrased it in diplomatic language, but without the slightest doubt, any democracy that works via the one person one vote principle will be behind elections, and against unelected so-called 'people's' committees assuming power. It's not even up for debate.

I'm all for an end to the Shinawatra influence in Thailand, but so long as a majority remains behind PT, the minority has to live and work with that, and convince its opponents otherwise. Through the ballot box.

And that is precisely what other countries that function through universal suffrage will be implying. Whatever they think of Thaksin.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

biggrin.png

They may have phrased it in diplomatic language, but without the slightest doubt, any democracy that works via the one person one vote principle will be behind elections, and against unelected so-called 'people's' committees assuming power. It's not even up for debate.

I'm all for an end to the Shinawatra influence in Thailand, but so long as a majority remains behind PT, the minority has to live and work with that, and convince its opponents otherwise. Through the ballot box.

And that is precisely what other countries that function through universal suffrage will be implying. Whatever they think of Thaksin.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I near agree with you the ballot box is the norm. SURE.

BUT again the same as Maggie Thatcher she had to go, the party stayed. When you do not have the norm, something cracks. I am pointing out that if the tories at that time had the same record of abuse and corruption the party would have to be brought down.

My point is the family should get out, be banned from any form of communication/influence, then let the election begin, with UN observers at every point and any vote buying then the said person be JAILED. Then whoever is in power and running the government as promised shall stay it's term.

Silly little man, does he really believe the average Thai gives a flying <deleted> about what other countries think ?

It really is pathetic, that they try to use this as a way of endorsing the elections, when all that will do is continue the corruption and incompetence that PTP have displayed. They probably will win, but if that is good for Thailand then Thailand has worse to follow over the next year. There won't be any stopping them either!

• Like 1