laos budget hotel

williamta20012

Last visa run, and first to Lao for me, I spent the first night in a "reasonable" hotel near the consulate and hated it.

Nothing to do while killing time, drab hotel with noisy guests, no good places to eat within walking distance, and so on and so on.

Met an expat who recommended I try one of the Guest houses near the river.

I did so and loved it.

I can't remember the price, but it was lower than the hotel.

Many great resturants, open air market, bars, Wats and great people watching too!

There are quite a few guesthouses in that part of town and all pretty reasonable too.

Last visa run, and first to Lao for me, I spent the first night in a "reasonable" hotel near the consulate and hated it.

Nothing to do while killing time, drab hotel with noisy guests, no good places to eat within walking distance, and so on and so on.

Met an expat who recommended I try one of the Guest houses near the river.

I did so and loved it.

I can't remember the price, but it was lower than the hotel.

Many great resturants, open air market, bars, Wats and great people watching too!

There are quite a few guesthouses in that part of town and all pretty reasonable too.

Yeah. Tell a tuk tuk driver what you are looking for. He' ll know what 'cheap hotel' means. However as you need 4 trips to the embassy, don't forget the 400 or so Baht this will cost you.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

mixay is ok for the day or two that you need to be there, fresh air can be a problem as lot of rooms only have a window to the passage not to outside. staff are well trained. it is clean.

what i got issue with is all disabled who cant walk to the embassy and back from the riverside, what, it cuts into your drinking time? perpetual taxi harassment is consequently a big issue in vientiane. it's so bad you wont want to hang around longer than you have to.

Yeah. Tell a tuk tuk driver what you are looking for. He' ll know what 'cheap hotel' means. However as you need 4 trips to the embassy, don't forget the 400 or so Baht this will cost you.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

The mornings are still pretty cool in Vientiane so a walk to the Thai consulate will take 30 - 40 mins from the river.

No need for tuk-tuks in Vientiane if you know where you want to go. (Or rent a bicycle).

By the way, many new and clean hotels around the river, Price about 700-800 baht and up, but with the weakening baht probably a bit more now. No need to pay 1000 baht for a good hotel (yet!)

You can find a perfectly acceptable room in this area for b450-600 with windows (unlike the cells at Mixay).

Totally agree about the walk. Ive done it a dozen times in the searing heat even, no big deal. Can't say Ive been ever hassled for anything in Lao. Maybe a little excercise and you wont look like a guy who wants (needs) a tuk tuk.

You can find a perfectly acceptable room in this area for b450-600 with windows (unlike the cells at Mixay).

Totally agree about the walk. Ive done it a dozen times in the searing heat even, no big deal. Can't say Ive been ever hassled for anything in Lao. Maybe a little excercise and you wont look like a guy who wants (needs) a tuk tuk.

yeah but ur not a handsum suave debonair sexy man like moi.

(this is despite my absolute bestest efforts to look like the required useless, good for nothing, penniless loser)

Edited by Big Pinkie

have always gotten one of the end corner rooms at Mixay Paradise

and agree the inner rooms would suck

its populars and so you take whats available. knowing its not going to be forever.

Edited by Big Pinkie

its populars and so you take whats available. knowing its not going to be forever.

It's the best known gh in Vientiane and more or less clean. It caters to backpackers, the penniless lisers you described above. The rooms are nothing more than cell hong kong cell blocks at best. There are loads of places to stay along the sois running off Samsenthai. There are also a dozen on the opposite side of the road.

Maybe instead of heading to the pub, find a reasonable place to stay, drop your gear and then go out, have a walk (!) about and find the best place that suits your taste and budget. Being on those small sois is not all that great. Eating on Riverside, cafes have awfulnexpendive food and the nightly outdoir affair onnthe river itself is ghastly poor value.

If you want to go super cheap there's another little backpacker place called "Lao Youth Inn." Rooms are very Spartan but at least it's clean.

Personally I'd shell out a little bit extra, as others have said you can get a pretty nice room for around 700-800 baht a night at a lot of places.

It's the best known gh in Vientiane and more or less clean. It caters to backpackers, the penniless lisers you described above. The rooms are nothing more than cell hong kong cell blocks at best. There are loads of places to stay along the sois running off Samsenthai. There are also a dozen on the opposite side of the road.

Maybe instead of heading to the pub, find a reasonable place to stay, drop your gear and then go out, have a walk (!) about and find the best place that suits your taste and budget. Being on those small sois is not all that great. Eating on Riverside, cafes have awfulnexpendive food and the nightly outdoir affair onnthe river itself is ghastly poor value.

what actually is it that you do in these palatial mansions of a room? i see it, you need a vast space to encompass your highly developed ESP while you are asleep.

for one or two nights is it really worth going to the extra trouble and paying through your nose? you spend your whole time in Vientiane admiring the decor of your room? i see it, you dont want to go outside and get harassed by tuk-tuks. i suppose you need twenty-four hour complete room service as well. perfectly understandable. get a grip!

Edited by Naked Snake

• 3 weeks later...