No Early Renewal For Driver's License

Konini

Not sure if this is the norm, but my husband went to renew his DL today and was told to come back on or after 24th December (the date it is due). I assumed that you would be able to renew a few weeks, never mind a few days early, or did he just hit on someone who didn't want to bother with it, but gave him the forms and sent him away.

Seems really odd to me, and thank goodness the Certificate of Residency and medical are valid for 30 days.

1 year to 5 year - no renewal before 1 year complete, need to complete the 1 year of temprary licence before they'll give a 5 year.

5 year to 5 year - need to renew before the end, no idea what would happen if you didn't.

You are spot on Konini. It also happened to me,I arrived one day early when my 1 year licence expired,and was refused renewal,and had to come back the next day.

Edit for correction,it was renewal of 1 year licence to 5 year Licence

Edited by MAJIC

I think the norm is that you have to let your 1 year license expire first, but there are exceptions as with most govt offices here. I got mine renewed to 5 years last August, 3 days before expiration. I knew from reading on TV that the rule was that the one year license had to expire first, but since I was in the area I dropped in. Below is the cut and paste from the post I previously made about it. This was at the Hang Dong area office.

"I renewed my license yesterday, three days before its expiration. I have the temporary 1 year license, and I received the 5 year license. I was told to keep my current license with me until it expires, as the new license does not go into effect until the day after that.

I did not have to take the reaction or the color blind test this time, although I did have to take the color blind test when I received my medical certificate.

I submitted my forms and copies, and was out with the new license in less than 20 minutes.

I believe you are correct that different offices have different sets of rules. I also was under the impression that the license had to expire before you could renew, but decided to stop in early because I would be in the area."

As said. From 1 year (temporary license) to 5 year you must let the 1 year expire first. For a 5 year to 5 year, you can apply up to 90 day before it expires.

I was "upgraded" from 1 year to 5 year license 10 days before expiry.

Visited Hang Dong Road office yesterday to clarify, explaining that my upcoming (5 year to 5 year) renewal would fall during an absence period abroad. With absolute courtesy and in crystal-clear English - "you can renew from 90 days before expiry, or up to 1 year after". I hope I meet the same lovely lady when I renew.

If there is a problem it is possible that they would issue another one year licence before the expiry of the original one year licence but a condition of the five year licence is that a person has held a licence for more than a year. The one year is a temporary licence similarr to Provisional licences in other countries and cannot be used outside Thailand.

Slight diversion, but am wanting to take my motorbike test next year. I already have a 5 year car licence. If successful, will I get a separate 1 year bike licence to run concurrently with my 5 year car licence, or one upgraded licence? Thanks

Slight diversion, but am wanting to take my motorbike test next year. I already have a 5 year car licence. If successful, will I get a separate 1 year bike licence to run concurrently with my 5 year car licence, or one upgraded licence? Thanks

bike licences and car licences are totally seperate animals.

When I read a post about things like passports /DL etc always tend to have a quick look to see if there are any details that I may have missed.

Now on second 5 year License and just noticed that they start the issue dates on the beginning of your initial 1 year application...hence on mine its 2006 which makes sense ...1 year then 5 ..and this one expires in 2018...

actually that adds up to 12 years.???...

MPR...whos counting...just for info.

Edited by Rinrada