New School Term, New School Haircut

I've just had my step daughter around here in HCMC and she is a lovely girl about to be 13 y.o. with lovely shoulder length hair and about to go back home to Suphanburi. The new school term starts soon and she needs to get a 'school' hair cut, ie., hair no lower than the ear lobe. I proposed to the wife that she get a nice job at a hairdresser along with the other nieces, all of whom are ecstatically beautiful (and that all lurrve their uncle tuts), and that deserve a nice 'school girl bob'.

I am told that there are evil teachers about that chop off hair in the classroom in a big display when they view that there is no compliance with the rules and otherwise do what they want whenever.

If my step daughter was victimised by such an individual, after I had paid to have her couiffre compliant I would become very annoyed...to such an extent that I would have to take out the individual and her/his family, with extreme prejudice...

please offer your views and help tutsi to become a non-homicidal member of the community...

what are the rules regarding school haircuts?...(for prathom)

I taught in a boys prathom for a while and witnessed such hair cutting.

If the boys hair was thought too long they'd cut a chunk out of it to alert the parents to get it re-cut :o

I have a feeling girls are allowed longer hair if they have it in two plaits

:D

If the boys hair was thought too long they'd cut a chunk out of it to alert the parents to get it re-cut :o

yeah, I've noticed that the prathom boyz have all got crew cuts...I doan' know what I would have done at that age, I was a strappin' lad with hair like silk and those that had appropriate access (like family wimmin folk) couldn't keep their hands off...

'I have a feeling girls are allowed longer hair if they have it in two plaits'...they would have to have plaits comin' in to the scene...aint no way you can develope them with the earlobe restriction'...

yeah, I've noticed that the prathom boyz have all got crew cuts...I doan' know what I would have done at that age, I was a strappin' lad with hair like silk and those that had appropriate access (like family wimmin folk) couldn't keep their hands off...

'I have a feeling girls are allowed longer hair if they have it in two plaits'...they would have to have plaits comin' in to the scene...aint no way you can develope them with the earlobe restriction'...

Unfortunately, it is true - and you have very little legal recourse. Last time they cut the “chunks” out in several spots of my kid’s head I took a photo and went to the school the next day with a pair of scissors to offer the same service to the long-haired macho male teacher. The principal did agree there was excessive “chunk outs” and forced the teacher to apologize to me (but not the student – loss of face and all that). Of course, for the rest of the school year this teacher and his cohorts harassed my kid and I ended up transferring him to a new school the next year. The hair cutting and other behaviors by school personnel drove me nuts for my first few years here. I now only go to school when absolutely necessary and smile through gritted teeth.

FYI – the policy did change a couple of years ago to allow local school committees to decide their own rules about hair length and dress codes. As you might suspect the local parent groups fully supported the teacher/school recommendation to maintain the old policy.

:D Mymechew

Hair cutting in class sounds pretty extreme but it wouldn't surprise me, especially in the provinces where many of the old practices still exist. If a student's hair is too long, at least the teacher should inform the student to have it cut and if that doesn't work then call mom and dad. I used to teach Anuban, Prathom and Mattayom and except for the upper level Mattayom students, all the kids had short hair with crew cuts being common for the boys and bob styles being common for the girls. Given the hot, sticky climate of Thailand short hair would be the way to go.

Hair cutting in class sounds pretty extreme but it wouldn't surprise me, especially in the provinces where many of the old practices still exist. If a student's hair is too long, at least the teacher should inform the student to have it cut and if that doesn't work then call mom and dad. I used to teach Anuban, Prathom and Mattayom and except for the upper level Mattayom students, all the kids had short hair with crew cuts being common for the boys and bob styles being common for the girls. Given the hot, sticky climate of Thailand short hair would be the way to go.

there is sumpin' to be said for the suitability of short hair on children in a hot climate...also, the kids never are able to get rid of head lice...short hair is an encouragement to frequently wash and etc...

however, the issue has to do with conformity and not for any practical reasons which leaves things open for abuse by bullying a-holes that like to pass themselves off as teachers...

After a recent threat by a kindergarten teacher to cut my daughter's beautiful long hair, I was dismayed and visited the school in person. While there I hinted at the idea that I would not be pleased if my daughters hair was touched by other than her Mother or a bona fide hair salon. Never had a problem since then. However, due to the lack of my daughter having learned anything of value, at that school, my Daughter will be starting at a private school for her 1st official year at school.

however, the issue has to do with conformity and not for any practical reasons which leaves things open for abuse by bullying a-holes that like to pass themselves off as teachers...

I see your point, and it's too bad that kids who behave themselves need to be embarrassed in front of their classmates....I assume the kid in question is well behaved. As for some other students, public hair cutting would be too kind :o

I see your point, and it's too bad that kids who behave themselves need to be embarrassed in front of their classmates....I assume the kid in question is well behaved. As for some other students, public hair cutting would be too kind :o

having anyone <deleted> with your hair, whether public or not is about humiliation, not embarrasment. It happened to me twice when I was growing up and the persons involved became my life long enemies. They are dead now and I dance on their graves. This does not appear to be a concern when some jerk off pulls out the scissors in some classroom in Thailand...

"They are dead now and I dance on their graves."

Feeling a little bitter are we? :o

###### RIGHT...(mumble, grumble), this is why I find the practice of chopping off hair in the classroom to be absolutely unacceptable...barbaric actually...

A lot of the stuff that goes on in classrooms here would never be allowed in the West. When I was very young, kids could be paddled for misbehaving but this was done in the principal's office. Here it's often done in front of the whole class. There seems to be less corporal punishment dished out in Bangkok these days but it's still alive and well in many schools. Probably more so in the provinces. Some of the kids I used to teach could use a good whack or two :o It's unacceptable for good kids to be given such punishment.

A lot of the stuff that goes on in classrooms here would never be allowed in the West. When I was very young, kids could be paddled for misbehaving but this was done in the principal's office. Here it's often done in front of the whole class. There seems to be less corporal punishment dished out in Bangkok these days but it's still alive and well in many schools. Probably more so in the provinces. Some of the kids I used to teach could use a good whack or two :o It's unacceptable for good kids to be given such punishment.

I grew up in an era when corporal punishment in schools was normally carried out in front of the class, it was metered out fairly regularly for minor disciplinary infractions. I don't think I or any of my school mates ever suffered any resulting problems from it. Those who I have kept in touch with all went on to become fine citizens (well except for myself who ended up here). My daughter attends a school where there is a hair length regulation. I just make sure she is in compliance with their rules.

Same here...getting hair cut would be pretty humiliating. When I was in school, paddling was more or less done away with before the 3rd grade. However, the schools could inform your parents and I would have been much more scared of that than whatever the teachers would do.

In junior high school in California in 1962 the PE coaches had what they called 'Friday Club' where they selected the unsuspecting during the week to attend an exercise session for an hour after school on Friday. One hour of exhausting calesthenics followed by 5 laps around the 1/4 mile track...last one in got a swat, administered by a 6'5" neanderthal using a size 12 tennis shoe delivered with such force that the recipient usually fell forward onto his face. A truly brutal activity bordering on the sadistic...approved by the local school board, of course. It was usually the large fat guys that came in last so that they repeatedly bore the brunt of this display...

the dumb PE coaches just didn't get it...the neanderthal described above went on to become the principal of the largest local high school...

I was a regular 'Friday Club' attendee as throughout my adolescent years I was judged to have 'an attitude problem'...can't imagine what I would have to endure in 2006 in Thailand under the same circumstances...

My two girls will not have their hair style dictated by a draconian system. I will refuse without prejudice. Even if it means they have to study in another country.

I totally disagree with that level of control being metered out without checks.

My oldest daughter is 2.5 years and she still have very little hair (like her dad) so as her hair grows I get excitied.

Nobody has the right to tell me, my wife and our daughter how her hair should be. She goes to school to learn, not to be chastised for having a beautiful head of hair.

As I did in my days at school, I refuse to let my kids "conform" to what "those that know better" feel my daughter should look like.

Well I have even taken my son out of the local (very local - small island) school now, not only the haircuts, but the blatant patriotism and lack of other education such as geography............. "Where is Thailand children....... DUH!!!!!!!!!!

My children go to an international school, where hair is allowed to be a reasonable length or style, even somewhat long! Some time back my mother in law had them cut in a Thai crewcut, despite my expressly telling her not to do so. (Their hair was not long - just western cut. Mine though is not remotely short! :o )

I hit the roof in a major fashion and threw her out of the house. There was no contact for over six months thereafter and, since then, life has been much simpler. She does nothing without checking first!

when my daughter was in a local country school, they cut her hair in that unflattering bob and I was shocked so I told my husband to advise the teachers not to do this again.

And it happened again.

She is in a private school now.

and about the corporal punishment, she has been smacked on the fingers for not completing homework, I felt really guilty about that one since I was the one to tell her to go to bed since there was just too much homework that night.

I spoke to the principal, it seems to be better, though it still happens occasionnally in the class, my daughter says she is OK with it, this is a much better school so there are no other choices. I will keep my mouth shut unless it grows worst. There are many things I disagree with, but I can't compare it to schools in Canada, I will go crazy.

The following was taken from the Forum of the Thai-American Intercultural Society, Stanford University.

The Fall of the Hair-Tyrants

Crew cuts no longer required for students

Individual schools to decide own rules

The decades-old rule on compulsory hairstyle for students is to be rescinded, said Kamol Rodklai, director of the Education Ministry‘s children and family rights protection centre.

With the new academic year starting, the military-style cropped hair for boys with the longest strand not exceeding 5cm, and neck-length hair for girls (highly symbolic of uniformity particularly among state-run schools) will no longer be enforced.

Mr Kamol said the ministry was happy to let individual schools decide what "code of conduct" they wanted altered with regard to student hairstyle.

"Times have changed and it would be unrealistic to expect boys to continue carrying the conventional bowl-cut", he said.

The ministry only gave a broad regulation governing student hairstyle. Girls may sport long hair but they must make a neat pony tail or plaits. Each school will determine its own restriction on hair length and the new hair rule would be set jointly by the school council and administrators with the agreement of parents.

Once the "common agreement" was reached, the ministry need not be informed of it.

Mr Kamol said many private schools had for a long time been allowed to dictate their own hair rules, with stringent regulations remaining only on state-run schools.

Mr Kamol said the new proposal is expected to be endorsed by education permanent secretary Khunying Kasama Voravan na Ayutthaya.

The proposal, however, has drawn mixed reactions from school directors. Suwat Onjaikla, director of Thaweethapisek school, said students would raise "endless" demands for hairstyles and begin comparing discrepancies in policies advocated by each school.

"The next thing you know students will be asking why their school remains steadfast on short hair as opposed to their peers in other schools donning long hair and fashionable cuts", he said.

The ministry should institute a standard on hair length for all schools to observe, to prevent students going too far with their demands and schools compromising too leniently.

His was an all-boys school and he personally thought it best for boys in primary schools to retain the military-style haircut. High school students, however, could wear longer hair.

"Students allowed to drift with the tides of fashion would end up concentrating less on their studies", he said.

But the policy was welcomed by Prakasit Yungkong, director of Pathum Kongka school, who felt the discussion on hair rule would be a way of forging closer relations between parents and schools.

Sharing this view was Arunee Nakathat, director of Sai Nam Pueng school, who found the present rule obsolete and impractical. She said a review was appropriate provided it did not lead to students becoming obsessed with hairstyle.

• 2 weeks later...
:o What about the girls with hair in two plaits? What sort of school do they go to?

Have a scan through my previous post and you will see that, most likely, they will attend a private school.

Mr Kamol said many private schools had for a long time been allowed to dictate their own hair rules, with stringent regulations remaining only on state-run schools.