Which to buy in Thailand, Toyota or Mazda?

Guitar God

I need to buy a car, I've looked at Toyota Vios G/AT 1.5L (700k) and a Mazda 3 Spirit 2.0L (825k). I personally preferred the Mazda 3 but I've heard that in Thailand, parts and service for the Mazda could be more problematic, and used Toyota's are easier to sell.

Toyota is coming out with a new Corolla Altis in Jan 2014 but I haven't seen any specs, photos or prices yet. The 2013 model 1.8 E/AT was priced similar to the Mazda 3 at 830K. There's also the Honda Civic 1.8S/AT in the same price range as the Mazda 3 and Altis 1.8 E/AT

Any suggestions?

Service and parts for our Mazda 3 have been fine. The dealer we use is not as well presented as Honda or as organised as Toyota but similar to Mitsubishi and Ford. The car has been reliable and the dealer has given no problems.

Toyota and Honda's reputation for reliability and service is exaggerated in Thailand. The Mazda 3, Civic and Corolla are all good cars. Buy the one you like most because the difference in resale value and service etc is not likely to be that great in this price range.

Edited by Jitar

I'll go with Ford...Focus(!) for the comparison with your Toyota,or Mazda OP...they are all run by the same people(dealers),so your service may not differ....at least Focus is a fun car to drive wink.png

The cheapest Focus with 2.0L is 960K Baht - big step up from what the OP is talking about?

If you like driving, then get the Ford, err, I mean the Mazda.

If you like dull cars that go on forever and want to be one of the sheeple collective, get a Toyota.

Fine words..........''Go on Forever''.............You can't beat that quote..............thumbsup.gif .......smile.png

If you like dull cars that go on forever and want to be one of the sheeple collective, get a Toyota.

Fine words..........''Go on Forever''.............You can't beat that quote..............thumbsup.gif .......smile.png

You just can't help yourself,can you....laugh.png

"...If you like dull cars that go on forever and want to be one of the sheeple collective, get a Toyota...."tongue.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

In this price bracket I would get a fiesta ecoboost 1.0 turbo, in the even I don't need a lot space inside the car. Not sure when they can be delivered though. 125hp, more than the stock 1.6 fiesta, much more than mazda 2/vios, but less than the mazda 2.0. Fuel economy in the fiesta 1.0 will kill the competition, especially the mazda 3 2.0.

If you go for a Mazda you might like to buy a petrol station first as they drink fuel.

I used to do long run's with a friend of mine me in my Fortuner him in Mazda 3 and it cost him twice as much in fuel and mine did.

I know that there is a difference in price between petrol and diesel but it's not double the cost.

You just can't help yourself,can you....laugh.png

"...If you like dull cars that go on forever and want to be one of the sheeple collective, get a Toyota...."tongue.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

My days of fiddling with stuff are over, cars that is giggle.gif , I want a car/truck with doors, seats and it gets from A to B with nooooooo hassle.

One choice for me. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Fortuna and Mazda 3 ,both old models, like an Apple n Orange comparison. Id go for the new City Auto with 120Bhp and improved interior noise level. Also the Mazda 2 and 3.with improved economy, so they say . !. The 2 is a tad tiney for 6 Ft Folks, but the 3 is a fine ride for its price, and no Wonkey Ford style Auto box. Tried em both,and the Fords, have allways liked Fords i just cant like those boxes no how, yet the V.W. dual clutch works fine.thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all the insightful comments so far. Based on what I've read, and after seeing the cars and doing a little research I'm leaning towards the Mazda or maybe the Civic.

My other car's a 5.5L so fuel economy isn't normally at the top of my list. The Civic is interesting but the City looks a little small. It will probably come down to a test drive, they do let you test drive cars here, don't they?

Thanks for all the insightful comments so far. Based on what I've read, and after seeing the cars and doing a little research I'm leaning towards the Mazda or maybe the Civic.

My other car's a 5.5L so fuel economy isn't normally at the top of my list. The Civic is interesting but the City looks a little small. It will probably come down to a test drive, they do let you test drive cars here, don't they?

I use a Civic 1.8 Navi most days, love the thing, Mrs Pops got the Accord, nice but a bit big for everyday.Dont foreget to try the Mitsu G.T. 2.0, was my first choise but service up here is as crap as Fords, so i chickened out n played safe. ive never known a Honda dealer who wont give you a Test Drive, less you look like a dork.thumbsup.gif

Jitar- The brochure I have says "New" Mazda 3. I don't know what the "Old" one looked like though.

Ace of Pop- We're liking the Civic, never had a Honda (automobile) before but they have a good reputation. You wrote "GT 2.0" but I thought "GT3000", I'd keep that one for myself.

The proof is in the pudding, I hope I can drive the Civic and the Mazda to compare, I'll make sure to leave my dork clothes at home. They only problem I ever had getting a test drive in was with a Z-28 IROC HO . They had a "buy it first then drive it policy", so I did. That wasn't in Thailand though. I swear, this place is like a foreign country sometimes...

The Mitsu G.T. 2.0. is a regular in stock car from Mitsu, not a Gray Import bout the same price as the Civic. Well worth you looking at one imo. As for test drives in Holiday /Tourist areas they get Afternoon Millionairs pissing them about. Sure there are warts on my Honda noise wise, but nothing AC/DC cant overcome.cheesy.gif

The Mitsu G.T. 2.0. is a regular in stock car from Mitsu, not a Gray Import bout the same price as the Civic. Well worth you looking at one imo. As for test drives in Holiday /Tourist areas they get Afternoon Millionairs pissing them about. Sure there are warts on my Honda noise wise, but nothing AC/DC cant overcome.cheesy.gif

Which model? On their site I only see the Attrage, Mirage and Lancer.

Sorry G.G should have said Lancer G.T.2.0 As for a Fiesta he doesn't want a Mini Car. Plus its wise to steer clear or Turbos if poss i've burst quite a few cheapoes that come as O.E.. Ranger was the first, supprise ,supprise.Aftermarket ones are a different tale as the price shows.thumbsup.gif

Thanks, I'll see if there's a Mitsubish dealer nearby and check out the Lancer. I think the FIesta would be too small, I'm a bit lanky. I've already ruled out the Honda City, Mitsubishi Shopping Cart and the Toyota Turd.

Theres allways the Toyota Altis TRD, anoter one i use a bit, not a drivers Car but a good allrouder, quiter than the Honda, handles average, brakes are a superb feel ,auto box the same, but lacks punch off the mark. Sounds a bit stupid, but i love those Swifts for nipping about, they feel quicker than they are. Dont rush, enjoy mooching about.thumbsup.gif

Jitar- The brochure I have says "New" Mazda 3. I don't know what the "Old" one looked like though.

Ace of Pop- We're liking the Civic, never had a Honda (automobile) before but they have a good reputation. You wrote "GT 2.0" but I thought "GT3000", I'd keep that one for myself.

The proof is in the pudding, I hope I can drive the Civic and the Mazda to compare, I'll make sure to leave my dork clothes at home. They only problem I ever had getting a test drive in was with a Z-28 IROC HO . They had a "buy it first then drive it policy", so I did. That wasn't in Thailand though. I swear, this place is like a foreign country sometimes...

In Thai car sales terms "all new" means nothing. The current Mazda 3 was introduced to some markets around 2009 and about 2011 here in LOS. The new model 3 looks good to me, similar to the Mazda 6. Probably will not be here for a while though.

post-149670-0-88281600-1387710042_thumb.

An old Aston Martin from when i didn't have Kids. Faded memories , as is for many of us ageing wannabe rockers. The Mazda 6 looks good ,but i want the new BM,as and when it gets here., posters have already told me its crap,... whatever,... the next ride will be my last, so sod the Kids for once. Jeez this Bud tates Good !!!. A Merry Christmas One n All, and stay Safe all of You.thumbsup.gif .

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll see if there's a Mitsubish dealer nearby and check out the Lancer. I think the FIesta would be too small, I'm a bit lanky. I've already ruled out the Honda City, Mitsubishi Shopping Cart and the Toyota Turd.

I'm 6'2" and found the City to be roomier than the Civic. I was in a Swift the other day and had loads of room.

These small cars seem to have a lot more thought put into their interior design than some of the medium sized cars I've been in.

The Mitsu Lancer is a nice looking car, just needs a nice V6...

You're riggt about that. The most legroom I had in a car was a 61 Austin Healy bugeye Sprite, the foot wells went almost to the headlights. It was so short you could make a U turn on a narrow road.

I have trouble getting into an Izusu truck that's the size of a small aircraft carrier. It's all about the ergonomics. The City just looked too small on the outside.

I'm 6'2" and found the City to be roomier than the Civic. I was in a Swift the other day and had loads of room.

These small cars seem to have a lot more thought put into their interior design than some of the medium sized cars I've been in.

The Mitsu Lancer is a nice looking car, just needs a nice V6...

The Swift it's nice little car and there is enough adjustments to fit a tall driver...but there will be not much space left for the passenger behind...Hondas and Toyotas are pretty standard....but Almera has the most space in the back.