Which to buy in Thailand, Toyota or Mazda?

Guitar God

Thanks, I'll see if there's a Mitsubish dealer nearby and check out the Lancer. I think the FIesta would be too small, I'm a bit lanky. I've already ruled out the Honda City, Mitsubishi Shopping Cart and the Toyota Turd.

I'm 6'2" and found the City to be roomier than the Civic. I was in a Swift the other day and had loads of room.

These small cars seem to have a lot more thought put into their interior design than some of the medium sized cars I've been in.

The Mitsu Lancer is a nice looking car, just needs a nice V6...

The Swift it's nice little car and there is enough adjustments to fit a tall driver...but there will be not much space left for the passenger behind...Hondas and Toyotas are pretty standard....but Almera has the most space in the back.

Not much space behind me whatever I drive!

The Almeras seem pretty good value for money, but they're gutless and seem to have a maximum speed of about 30kph - more annoying than tuk tuks.

You're riggt about that. The most legroom I had in a car was a 61 Austin Healy bugeye Sprite, the foot wells went almost to the headlights. It was so short you could make a U turn on a narrow road.

I have trouble getting into an Izusu truck that's the size of a small aircraft carrier. It's all about the ergonomics. The City just looked too small on the outside.

When i compared the City with the Civic i found that the City had more head room and better ergonomics all round.

Also preferred the looks of the City dashboard.

The City also has a tighter turning circle too.

Edited by sotsira

• 2 weeks later...

I've narrowed the choice down to a Honda Civic 1.8 E AT Navi and a 1.5 Hybrid Navi.

The 1.8 E has a top speed of 200 km/h, the Hydrid tops out at 160.

The Hybrid is around 1.5 seconds slower 0-100 than the 1.8 E.

The Hybrid isn't available with power seats, they're standard on the 1.8 E.

Hybrid needs the batteries replaced (around 70k) baht after 5 years.

Initial outlay slightly higher for the Hybrid, so are fixed costs if balance is financed. Variable costs lower.

Cost per month for 5 years (purchase price, fuel, insurance) is about 400 baht more per month for the Hybrid, assuming fuel remains at 39B/L.

No sure of the resale value after 5 years, less sure the price of fuel won't increase.

I see a lot more hybrids here than in Europe or the U.S. so there must be some advantage/motivatation, not sure exactly what though.

Go with the new technology? Go for lower cost and better performance? Flip a coin? Any thoughts?

I have a Mazda BT50 Pro 1 year old and wife drives a Madza 3, 5 years old. We have not had problems getting parts. Yes because we live outside the great protest center of Bangkok it may take a day or two to get some parts but for the most part I am extremely pleased with Mazda service.

• Like 2