My first 6 weeks in Chiang Mai

Diddl

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did enjoy reading about your experiences as you ease into your new life here.

It's usually good to get a fresh perspective, reminds me of why I originally choose this destination.

Just something though, sex and drugs occur everywhere so let's not get caught up in labelling areas were not accustomed to.

All in all a great wee introduction. Thanks.

Who are you???!!!! You are not falang....must be thai paid big money by CM Tourist Division!!!! cheesy.gif

Chiang mai is like a lot of cities. The mountains are the best, but sometimes I wonder about the beaches. The weather is hot, but other places it gets too cold. Sometimes lots of traffic, sometimes it's perfect. etc...

One thing CM always has for me is an endless amount of positive energy. people moving, walking, looking, interacting. i like that, feed off it.

I have seen just as many friendly people in America, no question. this is not america versus thailand. it's enjoy versus enjoy.

so go out today and hug your fellow TV member, tell them "I love you TV member, we are in this together!!!"

wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

A great 'indicator' of the Thai experience is the number of "LIKES" you got from your original post. Most of us share your feelings and experiences. But just like 'good news and the Media,' it doesn't 'sell' in this forum. Positive experiences don't give the nay-sayers an outlet to complain, while the 'aye-sayers' are satisfied just to 'like' your post. It's true that you are still in the 'honeymoon' phase of your Thai experience, but like most things, there is a pendulum swing that will eventually find it's equilibrium. It's not all roses and spun sugar, but it's not Dante's inner circle either. All in all, Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live. Don't let the 'nay-sayers' tell you otherwise.

Well stated. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The CM experience can be great if one avoids various pitfalls.

I met a older european man recently who just came to Thailand to retire.

He met an issan women at a massage shop on Loh Kroh road.

He believes everything she says like he is the first one she has gone with.

In the space of a just a few months he has put her as the sole heir of his will. He has a significant pension and she has talked him into getting the will properly registered at his countries consulate in Pattaya.

I have tried to explain some caution or even light paranoia is a healthy practice in Thailand but he is just so gullible and overwhelmed with happiness now.

I don't think this is going to end well but I really hope I am wrong.

You should see how happy the guy is, who sold you his condo. LOL. It's a great place, and one of the reasons is because it's not a beach resort, where so money crooks move to fleece the tourists. If all the tourists left tomorrow; CNX would carry on as a functional city, and the 65000 uni students would keep right on going to school. I think it may have some growing pains, but if you are realistic, you will be fine. Certain western items are very expensive, and if you can simply do without them; you won't find yourself on here complaining about how expensive german sausage are. Many other things are relatively cheap; try to enjoy those. I'm known for complaining about the dogs in a well known moo baan, and probably a few comments about some of the worst drivers in the world. Other than that, I love the place, and as soon as I get my new passport; I'll be heading back. As mentioned above, the biggest losers in CNX are those who a) open bars B] get fleeced by girls from Isaan and C) die while driving drunk on their motorbike....all seems pretty avoidable. A few weeks ago, I had to hitchhike about 50 km in the States, and I was having a lot of flashbacks to all the nice thais that gave me a ride, without hesitation, and absolutely refused any money. Department store girls are tops, too.

Edited by Thighlander

A great 'indicator' of the Thai experience is the number of "LIKES" you got from your original post. Most of us share your feelings and experiences. But just like 'good news and the Media,' it doesn't 'sell' in this forum. Positive experiences don't give the nay-sayers an outlet to complain, while the 'aye-sayers' are satisfied just to 'like' your post. It's true that you are still in the 'honeymoon' phase of your Thai experience, but like most things, there is a pendulum swing that will eventually find it's equilibrium. It's not all roses and spun sugar, but it's not Dante's inner circle either. All in all, Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live. Don't let the 'nay-sayers' tell you otherwise.

Hey man, I like it here and have for decades! biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

• Like 1

There sure is a lot of complaining about negativity here.

This forum is a good place to recommend things and share good experiences.

It is also a place to alert others to scams, poor quality, dangers, etc.

Would you want the media to give a report whenever an airplane lands safely? I just assume most things are just fine and un-newsworthy.

• Like 2

Hey man, I like it here and have for decades! biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

I'm glad you put those smileys in there... When I saw the e-mail notification of your post I was wondering...

"what salesman/saleswoman would do all this in another country at no extra cost and with the kindness of their heart, which is Thailands way!"

I'm thinking "the kindness of their heart" involved a "big commission" that they forgot to mention.

After a while you come to recognise the scamming, but I agree the honeymoon period (where you pay double for everything without knowing) is great.