Who installs Windows if you buy from Online?

giddyup

Wow. The last copy of Windows I bought came on a memory stick. Let's assume yours comes on a CD.

Put it into your cd drive and start the computer. With luck you'll get a screen message that says something like "To boot from CD, press any key." Immediately do that.

After that it is simple, just follow any prompts. As it reboots during installation, never again press any key to boot from cd or you'll start all over. Simply follow all prompts until it is finished.

NOW at the beginning, if it doesn't offer to boot from CD, you'll need to set your bios to do that. Turn the computer off and then back on. Read the screen messages carefully and it will tell you to press a certain key to enter "setup." If you don't see that, restart the computer and press the F1, F2, and Del keys in rotation changing about once each full second. One of those keys should do it and you'll see your setup screen.

Use your arrow keys go move over to the boot menu and hit enter. Then read everything and it will tell you how to move your cd drive up to become the first boot drive. SAVE and exit

Now put in your Windows cd and start the computer and wait for the "press any key to boot from cd" and follow the prompts to the end. Again, never press a key again when you see that screen. Only the first time do you want to boot from cd.

Now you need drivers for your hardware which I hope came with the computer as cds. If not, google "download drivers.........your make and model" and you should find them to download and install. Drivers are executable and run either automatically, or you double click the setup.exe icon and they just run and install.

Now you are finished except for customizing the computer to your tastes. You can google that to save a lot of typing here. You are also ready to install any other proggys you like and I have several from anti-virus to Irfanview picture viewer to Outlook and several others.

Good luck. If I missed something, someone will chime in. It isn't hard and you'll be well pleased with yourself.

Edited by NeverSure

Put the disk in. Click next next next next next. You will lose all documents and programs already on the PC so backup first.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's good advice and will probably work if his bios is set for it, but as far as losing anything, he wants to buy a new computer. :)

Please excuse a complete luddite's question, but where do I buy a Windows disk, would I get a genuine copy somewhere like Tucom (Pattaya)? Also, will I still be able to get Windows 7, I'm familiar with that so prefer to stay with what I know.

Get the laptop first, worry about the OS afterwards. You can download Windows 7 direct from Microsoft's distributors and use it in evaluation mode. Once you are happy with the performance, you can purchase a full licence.

In fact the process might be a little more complicated than first suggested, but not much more. It depend on the BIOS setup.

Easy to talk you through it from here anyway.

Come back with the full model number of the laptop that you intend to purchase.

Please excuse a complete luddite's question, but where do I buy a Windows disk, would I get a genuine copy somewhere like Tucom (Pattaya)? Also, will I still be able to get Windows 7, I'm familiar with that so prefer to stay with what I know.

yes....5th floor 8.1 version, the only floor that had it 4 weeks ago, ............AND I LOVE IT!clap2.gifcoffee1.gif

Edited by BigSkip

yes....5th floor 8.1 version, the only floor that had it 4 weeks ago, ............AND I LOVE IT!clap2.gifcoffee1.gif

OP asked for Windows 7.....