Dog Training

slackula

Are there any places running obedience classes on the island?

The Phuket International Dog School seems to be defunct, their website hasn't been updated since 2004.

Or do any members with experience in dog training have the time to share tips and tricks.

Our Rottweiler-Soi dog cross is approaching the age where I'd like to start serious obedience training for her. Nothing fancy but the basics like stay, heel, sit, down etc.

We have pretty much got her fetching things and she sort of sits at command but we aren't sure if that is because of the command to sit or because she is just lazy and prefers sitting :o

Edited by slackula

The Phuket International Dog School seems to be defunct, their website hasn't been updated since 2004.

Or do any members with experience in dog training have the time to share tips and tricks.

Our Rottweiler-Soi dog cross is approaching the age where I'd like to start serious obedience training for her. Nothing fancy but the basics like stay, heel, sit, down etc.

We have pretty much got her fetching things and she sort of sits at command but we aren't sure if that is because of the command to sit or because she is just lazy and prefers sitting :o

Hi,

I own an imported Rotti and trained him by myself.

Feel free to contact me so we could meet somewhere or you could come to my house to show you some basics in dog training.

Khun Vichai the owner from the dog school you've mentioned is not that bad I know him.

Have a nice day!

Gerd

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm a certified dog trainer and behaviorist (got my certifications in the West), but I'm in Chiang Mai. Nevertheless, I have dogs and owners coming from Pattaya, Bangkok and Uttaradit.

Teaching a dog good manners (education) is much more than teaching it the basic commands (sit, down, stay, come heel) and should start at the moment it enters its new home (meaning at the age of 7 or 8 weeks in case the dog is a puppy). First of all, a dog can only become well-adjusted and well-mannered when properly socialized. A dog's socialization period ends approxiamtely at the age of 3 1/2 months. During this period the dog should have gained positive experiences with all sorts of people (adults, children, different cultures, disabled, etc.), other animals and dog breeds, environments, and all the possible situations you think your dog may encounter later in life. These experiences should be repeated when the dog grows older, and always in a positive way.

When a dog is very young it is still very open to all sorts of impressions and it learns extremely fast. It is also fairly easy to guide the pup in desirable behavior and to teach the basic commands. The older the dog the more behavioral patterns have rooted in and the more time it will take to change these patterns.

I suggest (strongly) to train your dog according positive reinforcement. Meaning that you concentrate on behavior you desire in your dog, instead of concentrating on 'wrong' behavior and 'mistakes. In fact right or wrong behavior does not exist in a dog's mind ('safe' and 'dangerous' does) and mistakes a dog can't make if he does not know what to do in the first place (which is always the case when you start training your dog).

Unfortunately, many training schools in Thailand (and abroad) are punished based, often with a choke chain around the neck of the poor dog. The dog is not told what exactly is required from him/her, but in stead is told through a sharp jerk on the choke (or worse) that every move it makes is wrong, until by coincidence it finds out the right pose or is dragged into it. Beside this cruel kind of training, the dog stays in a kennel where it is lacks physical as well as mental stimulation. The dog will not learn how to behave during daily life (after all it is only taught simple tricks as sit, down stay come and heel) and the owner will not learn how to properly interact with the dog in such a way that the dog will respect and trust the owner being the one in charge. And as many dogs are kept seperate from other dogs, they also lack the chance to learn normal dog communication which is so necessary for a proper dog behavior development.

(many dogs show (fear) aggressive behavior towards other dogs and strangers due to lack of proper socialization)

When searching the web you will come across loads on info on dog training, but for your dog's sake choose the one on positive reinforcement. I, myself, work solely with the clicker.

You can also find some info on my website: www.luckydogs.info. For more info you can contact me directly if you like,

Regards, Nienke

Great posting!!!

I work with a clicker and lots of love and praising.

So many people are scared when they see me with my dog but I've started with 3 months socialicing him.

Many times I wish I would have more (human) friends like him :o

Gerd

Thanks for taking the time to write.

I have a friend in America who is a vet and he gave me the same advice and is mailing me some literature. So far, the dog is doing great. It is very rewarding to take in a soi dog and watch her grow and develop.