AK47 assault rifle designer Kalashnikov dies at 94

webfact

AK47 assault rifle designer Kalashnikov dies at 94

(BBC) The inventor of the Kalashnikov assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94, Russian officials say.

The automatic rifle he designed became one of the world's most familiar and widely used weapons.

Its comparative simplicity made it cheap to manufacture, as well as reliable and easy to maintain.

Although honoured by the state, Kalashnikov made little money from his gun. He once said he would have been better off designing a lawn mower.

Kalashnikov was admitted to hospital with internal bleeding in November.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25497013

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-12-24

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AK 47 is a POS used because it is cheap to make. It is used by underfunded 3rd world countries.

It wasn't revolutionary. It wasn't put into production until after WWII when there we already awesome automatic rifles in use including the Browning and others.

Yes the gun is cheap and reliable. It's also woefully underpowered and inaccurate, and lacking in distance. But for poor countries needing some kind of weapon, it was stamped out with poor tolerances in great numbers because that's all they had.

Yes, he would have been better off designing a lawn mower.

RIP

• Like 1

The AK 47 is a POS used because it is cheap to make. It is used by underfunded 3rd world countries.

It wasn't revolutionary. It wasn't put into production until after WWII when there we already awesome automatic rifles in use including the Browning and others.

Yes the gun is cheap and reliable. It's also woefully underpowered and inaccurate, and lacking in distance. But for poor countries needing some kind of weapon, it was stamped out with poor tolerances in great numbers because that's all they had.

RIP

Under powered? It'd knock you to the floor. Do you even know what your talking about there Skippy?

Ak-47 use a 115g bullets vs M-16 55g, so your telling me its underpowered? Stand out on the range and tell me which hurts more.

AK 47 Muzzle velocity, 715 m/s (2,350 ft/s)

Effective range 300 metres (330 yd) full auto

Link

M-16 Muzzle velocity 3,110 ft/s (948 m/s)

Effective range 550 meters (point target) 800 meters (area target)

Link

Oh, and the military uses 62 - 70 grain bullets in the M16, no longer 55 gr. And the bullet is traveling so fast it tumbles and breaks on impact, causing multiple wound channels.

The AK 47 is a wimp.

Edited by NeverSure

RIP

Under powered? It'd knock you to the floor. Do you even know what your talking about there Skippy?

Ak-47 use a 115g bullets vs M-16 55g, so your telling me its underpowered? Stand out on the range and tell me which hurts more.

AK 47 Muzzle velocity, 715 m/s (2,350 ft/s)

Effective range 300 metres (330 yd) full auto

Link

M-16 Muzzle velocity 3,110 ft/s (948 m/s)

Effective range 550 meters (point target) 800 meters (area target)

Link

Oh, and the military uses 62 - 70 grain bullets in the M16, no longer 55 gr. And the bullet is traveling so fast it tumbles and breaks on impact, causing multiple wound channels.

The AK 47 is a wimp.

Why are you posting the velocitys only? You said it was underpowered, which one can only assume you mean stopping power. So why don't you post the energy? Because you know an AK-47 has more stopping power. Maths dont lie.

RIP

If you're standing out in front of me I'd take either an AK-47 or an M-16. But for you Biff I'd take an AK-47 cause I could get to shred you pretty well.

If you're equivalent to being out in center field of Yankee Stadium and I'm at home plate I'd pop you with an M-16. Forget the Kalashnikov cause in that scenario you could stand there and laugh off anyone using it against you.

But it's he who laughs last and all of that.

• Like 1

Didn't jamb if kept clean. Fired in all kinds of weather. You could buy one for a hundred bucks just about anywhere. Supply your own stock and grip. Magazines were five dollars. Rounds were a dollar apiece. Most wars are fought with small arms. Damned straight it changed the world.

Positively?

For the better?

RIP

If you're standing out in front of me I'd take either an AK-47 or an M-16. But for you Biff I'd take an AK-47 cause I could get to shred you pretty well.

If you're equivalent to being out in center field of Yankee Stadium and I'm at home plate I'd pop you with an M-16. Forget the Kalashnikov cause in that scenario you could stand there and laugh off anyone using it against you.

Whats this got to do with stopping power?

Edited by Sayonarax

RIP

Nice to see the apple pie and white picket fence boys are out in force waving the flag as usual

AK-47 the best assault rifle ever produced, it really did change the world more than any other firearm in history

Nice to see the apple pie and white picket fence boys are out in force waving the flag as usual

AK-47 the best assault rifle ever produced, it really did change the world more than any other firearm in history

The AK 47 was built by com-block countries to the cheapest standards possible. The receivers are stamped out of 1mm steel and then put through several bending and riveting operations to make a "receiver." That "receiver" won't hold a barrel well and accuracy is lost.

They have almost exactly the same power, bullet and range as a 30-30 carbine, and a maximum range of 300 meters. They were built for economy, and to loose standards so they wouldn't jamb. When imported into the US they are often swapped out with a milled receiver and a decent barrel so you can actually hit something.

By contrast, the M14 (.308) has a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps and a range of 800 meters, shooting about the same weight bullet. It is dead on accurate, too. There are sniper rifle variants of it which would/could never happen with an AK-47.

The AK 47 is what it is. A cheap, com-block, loose tolerance, run-in-the-dirt dependable but inaccurate and underpowered weapon.

• Like 1

Lessee...

Stopping power. We're dealing with full metal jackets here, not expansive hollow points. An AK is likely to punch a hole without doing deadly damage. An M16 round at its high speed will upset upon impact. It has been known for an M16/AR-15 round to hit someone in the chest, upset, and exit through his butt. All the while the round was tumbling, doing much more damage than its diameter would predict. That guy's all done and basted.

At close range, the M16 on full automatic will not have nearly as much kick or muzzle rise as an AK, and will stay on target longer. More hits.

The average shooter flinches and misses at the loud noise and heavy kick of a rifle which an AK has in spades but the M16 lacks. The M16 is a sweet shooter.

The M16 can shoot a fly off the top of someone's head at 50 yards while the AK might be lucky to hit the head. More likely to miss everything.

In the field, the standard carry is 200 M16 rounds. My unscientific guess is that an M16 round is about 1/3 the size and weight of an AK round. The person with the M16 could therefore carry 3X as many rounds.

I practice at 500 yards with my M16. An AK would fall way short of hitting any target at that distance. It would kick up dust well short of the target.

An AK is a cheaply made com-block weapon with low accuracy while the M16 is high quality and very accurate made to NATO specs. If you happen to have an extra $20,000 + $500 for a license laying around, you too can own one. Link

Off-topic post deleted.

Allow me to rephrase then

One suspects the AK-47 has won wars than the M-16, irrespective of the perceived superior technical specification .....100 million users can't be wrong

And its use has certainly changed the modern world more than any other firearm

Each to their own personally I prefer the R4/R5

RIP

Haha, Maybe he will take you up on it. He knows the AK47 is woefully underpowered and inaccurate. I suggest 300 metres for fairness.

• Like 1

Any way you look at it, his invention certainly helped shape world history.

Not for the better though - unlike the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan!!

At least he was honest enough to admit that he would have got a bigger cut with a lawnmower!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Seems that there are a few folks here who prefer a weapon that jams constantly in the past & present,

is definitely accurate out to a better distance than 7.62x39 (AK round) but has little stopping power

at that distance, is a bitch to keep clean under combat conditions and was adopted by the US military

over a better weapon due to corporate lobbying. The better weapon was the Stoner.

There's nothing wrong with the AK series of weapon one dam_n bit. The early ones were very inaccurate

but Soviet doctrine back then made it plain that division strength amounts of troops would swarm an

objective and every grunt would have an automatic weapon in his hands. Tactic being to fire and ensure

the enemy would keep their heads down until kills could be accomplished in CQB range...which even the

first AK's could easily do. Tactics change...and Mikhail Klashnikov designed better weapons but stayed

with a familiar, proven design. Take the new AK 102..

it's not just a simple sheet metal stamped out weapon

and it's very accurate out to 800 meters...I know I have fired them on trips into Russia....not from reading

BS on the internet.

The topic isn't about the "new" AK 102. It's about the AK 47 POS.

Another thing...all bullets tumble upon impact with a fleshy target...not just the 5.56mm. Granted the 5.56

has a nasty habit of fragnenting inside a target...even without hitting bone. This is due to two main reasons;

the first is its high velocity while the second is the thin copper outer cladding of the round...as it slows down

upon entrance (looses about 80% of the velocity & energy as all rounds do) the lead antimony filler has more

inertia than the outer bullet cladding can contain and causes the bullet to fragment. A larger & heavier round

auch as the 7.62x39 or the 7.62x51 has the ability to stay intact and "at range" just plow through a target.

What does more damage than just a simple bullet is the physics involved...Terminal Ballistics its called &

I'm not gonna give a lecture here on it either....go and Google the term. It will involve velocities & shock waves

but y'all should be able to understand.

The idea in combat is to wound. Kill isn't necessary. A wounded combatant needs a couple of more people to aid

him, so one good wound takes at least 3 people out of the fight. This is where accuracy comes in and the AK 47 didn't have it.

In the current conflict areas of Afghanistan & Iraq the allies have been bringing back the 7.62 in heaps. Why?

Because it has the range, it has the velocity and it has the stopping that the 5.56 just cannot match.

Agreed, but the 7.62 Nato has far more range than an AK 47 so it isn't apples and apples. The 5.56 certainly has more stopping power

than any AK 47 at 500 yards because it can actually hit something. In Afghanistan for instance, where there are open spaces and long ranges,

the Taliban are severely handicapped with an AK 47 over either the 5.56 or 7.62 Nato cartridges.

This is

also or has also been complicated by bad guys with AK's shooting "good guys" from behind stone or cement

block walls, buildings etc and the 5.56 just can't penetrate that stuff. Sure a .50 will penetrate but not every

one carries that do they...a 7.62 can wreck a wall in short order FYI.

No one will argue that the 7.62 Nato (.308) is an awesome round. I have it in an AR-10 and a Weatherby bolt. But an AK 47 can't carry water for it.

Accurate or not...the old Vietnam era AK's fired a nasty round that killed a lotta good men & women and

wounded countless others. You armchair weapons experts can argue your logic all the time but I highly doubt

any of you have been an active participant in a two way shooting gallery. I have & was hit twice...I know what

that "underpowered" 7.62x39 round can do. You don't.

You were hit twice with an AK 47 and are here to post on an internet forum. 'nuff said.

BTW, Thanks for your service. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1