City With Coolest Weather In Thailand

tc101

Amazing that a well travelled man would call this cool season ANYWHERE in Thailand .... Mid March-Mid May are traditionally the hottest times of the year. High season everywhere is the coolest... Nov-Feb is pretty much high season in all parts of Thailand soooooo :o

All of Thailand is in the tropics, it's all hot. to beat the heat here you have to go up, not north. The mountains can be quite cool.

Anyone know of the highest city in Thailand? I think Chaing Mai is about 1,000 feet above sea level (300 or so meters).

Edited by jaiyenjohn

Anyone know of the highest city in Thailand? I think Chaing Mai is about 1,000 feet above sea level (300 or so meters).

Chiangrai is 300' higher and 1-1/2 degree further north than Chiangmai. Have seen it 4 degreeC here before with wind in cold season. Last few years lows only hit 10-12c. Many CM people don't concider CR as a "City", but we do have a big C and a Macro, and a bowling alley. :o

Three seasons: the dry, dusty season; the wet, muddy season, and the just plain bloody, sweaty, hot season. No cold season; maybe a semi-cool morning season.

I might have said Mae Hong Son, but there was blindingly slow internet connections there last year, and it ain't no city.

I'm not a golfer so I can't tell you much except that there is a golf course about eight or ten kilometers north of Muang Loei. It is a military course so I'm sure it is inexpensive. I CAN tell you that December and January I can see my breath in the mornings. THAT is cold.

I think you'll find that Loei has the dubious distinction of being the coldest place in Thailand. Unfortunately you won't find many farangs or farang activities here. We don't even have a super store. :o

That sounds good to me!! But do you have any golfcourses in the region?

I think I passed Loei a couple of years ago going from Udon to Chiang Rai. It seemed to be nice, beautiful mountains etc.

The cool season in Chiang Mai is plenty cool for 3-4 months. Very chilly nights and mornings

(Simular weather to San Francisco) and pleasantly warm during the afternoon.

For example, almost no one uses any of CM's many swimming pools during those months including tourists from Canada. It is just too cold!

In 1974 Thailand's coldest night on record; lows drop to -1.4C at Sakon Nakhon...

from Dan Dan the Weatherman... :o

and a few others....

Jan 1

1886 Norway's coldest night on record; lows drop to -51.4C at Karasjok.

Jan 2

1960 One of Australia's hottest days on record; temperatures reached 50.7C in Oodnadatta in South Australia, the record high for the state. Northern Territory in Australia also records its hottest day on record as highs at Finke peak at 48.3C. 1

1962 Hawaii's coldest night on record; lows drop to -10.0C at Mount Haleakala.

1974 Thailand's coldest night on record; lows drop to -1.4C at Sakon Nakhon.

Jan 3

1095 A great snowstorms affects Ireland killing many. 2

1961 A 3 day long icestorms over northern Idaho comes to an end having left ice up to 20cm accumulated on power and telephone lines. This is a US record! 2

Jan 4

1976 Tasmania's hottest day on record. Highs at Hobart reach 40.8C. 1

1981 Lows drop to -31.3C in Toronto, Toronto's lowest temperature on record.

Jan 5

1904 New Jersey's coldest night on record; lows drop to -36.7C at River Vale. Pennsylvania records its coldest night on record as lows drop down to -41.1C in Smethport. 3

1974 Temperatures reach 15C at Vanda Station on the Scott Coast, Antarctica. This is the highest temperature recorded in Antarctica. 2

1993 Winds on Mount Haleakala on Maui in Hawaii reach 100mph, knocking down power lines on which 45cm ice had accumulated. 2

1999 Illinois' coldest night on record; lows drop to -37.8C at Congerville. 3

Jan 6

1880 Seattle's greatest snowstorm on record. 146cm snow lay on the ground after the storm halting transport and causing hundreds of barns to collapse. 4

2002 Snow fell in Athens for the first time since 1992 bewteen 4th and 6th January. The snow settled and was 4-5cm deep in the city and 10cm deep at the Acropolis. Some Aegean islands were also affected by snow and gale force winds. On the 6th the minimum temperature in Athens was -2.2C and the maximum just 1.8C comapred to the normal of 13C, whilst in Souda on Crete the minimum and maximum was just 0.6C and 3.4C respectively. The average January high there is 16C. It wasn't just cold in Greece though; in Rome and Naples lows on the 5th dropped to -5.3C and -2.8C respectively.

Jan 7

1971 Arizona's coldest night on record; lows at Hawley Lake drop down to -40.0C. 3

1985 La Coruna in the extreme northwest of Spain records its coldest night on record as lows drop to -4.8C. 5

2002 A trace of snow fell in Washington DC on the 6th and 7th, the latest first snowfall of the winter recorded here since Christmas Day 1894.

Jan 1

1886 Norway's coldest night on record; lows drop to -51.4C at Karasjok.

Jan 2

1960 One of Australia's hottest days on record; temperatures reached 50.7C in Oodnadatta in South Australia, the record high for the state. Northern Territory in Australia also records its hottest day on record as highs at Finke peak at 48.3C. 1

1962 Hawaii's coldest night on record; lows drop to -10.0C at Mount Haleakala.

1974 Thailand's coldest night on record; lows drop to -1.4C at Sakon Nakhon.

Jan 3

1095 A great snowstorms affects Ireland killing many. 2

1961 A 3 day long icestorms over northern Idaho comes to an end having left ice up to 20cm accumulated on power and telephone lines. This is a US record! 2

Jan 4

1976 Tasmania's hottest day on record. Highs at Hobart reach 40.8C. 1

1981 Lows drop to -31.3C in Toronto, Toronto's lowest temperature on record.

Jan 5

1904 New Jersey's coldest night on record; lows drop to -36.7C at River Vale. Pennsylvania records its coldest night on record as lows drop down to -41.1C in Smethport. 3

1974 Temperatures reach 15C at Vanda Station on the Scott Coast, Antarctica. This is the highest temperature recorded in Antarctica. 2

1993 Winds on Mount Haleakala on Maui in Hawaii reach 100mph, knocking down power lines on which 45cm ice had accumulated. 2

1999 Illinois' coldest night on record; lows drop to -37.8C at Congerville. 3

Jan 6

1880 Seattle's greatest snowstorm on record. 146cm snow lay on the ground after the storm halting transport and causing hundreds of barns to collapse. 4

2002 Snow fell in Athens for the first time since 1992 bewteen 4th and 6th January. The snow settled and was 4-5cm deep in the city and 10cm deep at the Acropolis. Some Aegean islands were also affected by snow and gale force winds. On the 6th the minimum temperature in Athens was -2.2C and the maximum just 1.8C comapred to the normal of 13C, whilst in Souda on Crete the minimum and maximum was just 0.6C and 3.4C respectively. The average January high there is 16C. It wasn't just cold in Greece though; in Rome and Naples lows on the 5th dropped to -5.3C and -2.8C respectively.

Jan 7

1971 Arizona's coldest night on record; lows at Hawley Lake drop down to -40.0C. 3

1985 La Coruna in the extreme northwest of Spain records its coldest night on record as lows drop to -4.8C. 5

2002 A trace of snow fell in Washington DC on the 6th and 7th, the latest first snowfall of the winter recorded here since Christmas Day 1894.

and....

1971 The UK records its joint mildest January day on record when highs reach 18.3C at Aber, North Wales.

1982 England's coldest night on record and the coldest January night on record; temperatures drop to a low of -26.1C at Newport, Shropshire.

It was also the UK's joint coldest night on record as temperatures in Braemar, Aberdeenshire in Scotland dropped to -27.2C :D

Three seasons: the dry, dusty season; the wet, muddy season, and the just plain bloody, sweaty, hot season. No cold season; maybe a semi-cool morning season.

I might have said Mae Hong Son, but there was blindingly slow internet connections there last year, and it ain't no city.

PB ... a couple of years ago ... commuting by motorcycle from Hua Hin to Webster (outback ChaAm) it was COLD in the morning! yes windspeed and dampness had a lot to do with it but I wore a light jacket in Hua Hin often and ALWAYS kept it in my motorcycle for late nights and mornings

I have lived and travelled to many destinations throughout Thailand over the years. Here's the real scoop: Thailand is hot in every season and everywhere. Take it with a grain of salt when someone says a certain city or region has cool weather. For instance, right now it is the cold season. Today's high in Bangkok is 91 and Chiang Rai is 90. Is that cool weather? Is it that much different? Of course not. In any given day of any season in any city throughout Thailand it will typically be HOT. You might find 2% of days in the year have a chill in the air, and the other 98% are sweltering heat and humidity (the humidity is the killer). And as you move to smaller cities, opportunities to spend time in air conditioned spaces goes down. In my opinion Bangkok is the coolest city in Thailand because you go from your AC residence to your AC transport to your AC destination making it one of the few places you can stay reasonably cool every day.

Some people dont' mind the heat, some acclimate, and some suffer year round. I'm kind of in that last group. Seriously, when it gets down to 85 degrees (and quite humid) you will see Thai's complain they are cold and don jackets, meanwhile I'm still sweating.

And by the way, Nong Khai will be 91 today. Great weather? :o Doh!

XXXXXXXXXXXX Reply deleted, watch your language/manners please XXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by cdnvic