Suthep leads protesters out of Din Daeng registration venue

webfact

POLITICS
PDRC supporters return to main site

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan,
Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30222885-01_big.gif
Anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban leads supporters back to the main rally site at Democracy Monument. Thousands had camped outside the candidate registration venue, the Thai-Japanese Stadium in Din Daeng, since Sunday evening.

Blockade of venue for registration of poll candidates deemed a success

BANGKOK: -- The People's Democratic Reform Committee yesterday withdrew its supporters from the Thai-Japanese Stadium, which was surrounded since Sunday night to block the registration of candidates for the February election and declared the operation a success.

Meanwhile, protest organisers revised security measures after complaints from protesters and attacks against journalists.

PDRC chief Suthep Thaugsuban made a speech at the stadium yesterday afternoon, thanking supporters and asking them to return to the main rally site at Democracy Monument.

To further the group's policy against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra staying in power, he asked supporters to supply photos of her wherever she went. PRDC mobile teams would be dispatched to pursue and harass her with whistle-blowing or other symbolic gestures.

"Wherever she goes, in the beauty parlour, at work, having meals, she will face us pressuring her. Let's see if she can withstand being pressured to death like what we are going to do," he said. Suthep said he and 17 other core leaders would not meet with the Department of Special Investigation today and tomorrow but planned to request a postponement.

Core leader Akanat Promphan said earlier the decision to relocate protesters had nothing to do with the government's Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order announcing that the PDRC illegally disrupted the registration of party-list candidates, which ends on Friday.

Sanit Vejrangsri, a provincial official from Satun who was part of the protest, said he thought the demonstrators at the stadium had achieved their goal. He said he didn't know whether political parties would be able to register over the next few days.

He also said the protest site at Rajdamnoen Avenue was better because it was more festive.

Thanaphat Kongkaew, another protester from Satun, said she thought the move had succeeded after the two-day blockade.

Meanwhile, Cham, a Din Daeng resident who asked that her surname not be revealed, said protests in the area had no effect on her daily life. She said she could still sleep and sell goods.

PDRC co-leader Thaworn Senneam called a meeting of 200 guards at the Rajdamnoen rally site yesterday to set some rules after several protesters and media personnel complained. Thaworn said security guards must not allow people to disrupt the peace at rally sites and they should be polite to protesters and reporters. He said he would call a meeting with security chiefs at 5pm every day to analyse the situation and plan their work.

Over the past two days, some reporters were harassed by protesters and had difficulty doing their duty.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-25

I am thinking he has finally been warned off by his backers after breaking one law too many and making all associated with him look as daft and dangerous as he he is.

And still threatening Yingluck with harassment & death? What is going on here.

I wouldn't take things too literally all the time, it isn't a very good foundation for logical debate... it's just a figure of speech nothing more than that, or as sinister as you may wish to allude to.

I doubt his backers have warned him off anything. the moment I heard yesterday that they were pulling out, I thought that there is something bigger going to happen. Something a lot more effective than blocking registrations. The protesters and their leaders have proven time and again that they don't scare easily.

Something is going down. I wish I knew what it was, but something is going down for them to do a big back peddle without warning. I am sure we will know in the next few days or so.

• Like 1

I am thinking he has finally been warned off by his backers after breaking one law too many and making all associated with him look as daft and dangerous as he he is.

I wouldn't take things too literally all the time, it isn't a very good foundation for logical debate... it's just a figure of speech nothing more than that, or as sinister as you may wish to allude to.

I doubt his backers have warned him off anything. the moment I heard yesterday that they were pulling out, I thought that there is something bigger going to happen. Something a lot more effective than blocking registrations. The protesters and their leaders have proven time and again that they don't scare easily.

Something is going down. I wish I knew what it was, but something is going down for them to do a big back peddle without warning. I am sure we will know in the next few days or so.

Second time for death threats?

First of many with a bit of luck.

While it may have looks right for the anti-government protesters at that time - this clearly backfired on them. Not cool. Baad Suthep! Baaad!

Over the past two days, some reporters were harassed by protesters and had difficulty doing their duty.

Suthep certainly told them, when you have nothing to say... just use your whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZYjP32WFI

• Like 1

there are still 2 airports in bangkok, and several in the south, to be taken over, to prove to the international public, how lawless and backward country thailand has become.

bye bye high tourist season.

only desperados as we are going to stay in thailand, hoping for $=40b, e=50b, gbp=73b, as in the old, good days

• Like 1

The biggest idiot to have ever walked the earth and he really thinks if he takes the country for himself he will get any respect from the rest of the world or it's leaders. The guy is a total nutcase and he is dragging Thailand down where the world is laughing at it.

Sounds a very accurate description of square faced fugitive Thaksin to me...

there are still 2 airports in bangkok, and several in the south, to be taken over, to prove to the international public, how lawless and backward country thailand has become.

only desperados as we are going to stay in thailand, hoping for $=40b, e=50b, gbp=73b, as in the old, good days

You can thank one man in Dubai for the lawlessness and backwardness here. If not for his spiteful and megalomaniacal grip on power, this place could be so much better....Yes, yes, I know it was screwed up before he came in but he made it far more so and the huge divisions we see now are all due to the fugutive's efforts...

• Like 1

The biggest idiot to have ever walked the earth and he really thinks if he takes the country for himself he will get any respect from the rest of the world or it's leaders. The guy is a total nutcase and he is dragging Thailand down where the world is laughing at it.

No he must be related to you.

You can thank one man in Dubai for the lawlessness and backwardness here. If not for his spiteful and megalomaniacal grip on power, this place could be so much better....Yes, yes, I know it was screwed up before he came in but he made it far more so and the huge divisions we see now are all due to the fugutive's efforts...

This did not start with thaksin it started with the dems not making in the election. That is whenthis started. Get your facts straight.

• Like 2

'educated elites', huh? Yeah, OK.

This is what many Western mass media claim. In their simplified views, there is only elite=bad, farmer=good.

In reality, if you have visited the mob sites yourself, most people there are not elite, but rather common people. Suthep may believe he is elite, but he is probably as uneducated as every common rice farmer too.

'educated elites', huh? Yeah, OK.

This is what many Western mass media claim. In their simplified views, there is only elite=bad, farmer=good.

In reality, if you have visited the mob sites yourself, most people there are not elite, but rather common people. Suthep may believe he is elite, but he is probably as uneducated as every common rice farmer too.

You mean as uneducated as every other Thai. Don't worry some ghost or another is behind it all and a good ghost will eventually fix it - just like on the soaps, which of course are all based on fact.

• Like 1

Ahm...yeah right...you are aware, that there was a "Thailand" even before Thaksin, the root of all evil, was even born, don't you?!

• Like 1

THaksin made me a raving loon.

THaksin's square face?

Well, sooner or later I guess it was inevitable that eugenics would come into the dialogue... and not fascist because....?

Edited by blaze

His quote in the Australian media. We will chase her down until she is dead" I think many around the world see him as a dangerous lunatic.

• Like 1

His quote in the Australian media. We will chase her down until she is dead" I think many around the world see him as a dangerous lunatic.

Some Australian (even with Thai wife) don't really understand Thai language properly.