Yingluck seeks to recruit tech students to repair tablets, teach kids

webfact

PM seeks to recruit tech students to repair tablets, teach kids
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrang
The Nation
Phetchabun

30222886-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- CARETAKER Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra wants technology colleges to send students to schools to repair PC tablets and teach children how to use the devices and their applications, and has also urged the Higher Education and Basic Education commissions to integrate their education-reform works.

"This [getting technology students involved in the tablet project] would be a constructive activity for the technical students and bridge the instructor-student age gap regarding teaching of this topic," she said.

Consideration should also be given to extending the free tablets to Prathom 2, besides Prathom 1, and increasing the budget for the project, she said.

During a meeting on the computer tablet project in Phetchabun's Khao Khor district yesterday, Apichart Jeerawuth, secretary-general of the Basic Education Commission, said a new batch of tablets with better specifications would be distributed to Prathom 1 kids in May and June.

Over 92.5 per cent of teachers surveyed said the tablets boosted students' development. However, teachers over 55 still fumbled with the subject, so those who graduated with a technology degree stepped in to help teach the pupils on this topic instead.

Some repair centres have relocated without notifying schools and the cost of repairing tablets was sometimes too high. Schools were also facing a teacher shortage in some provinces such as Uttaradit, Chaiyaphum and Sing Buri, he said.

Yingluck suggested that the project let content production houses develop educational apps for free in return for them showing their logos.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-25

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is logical policy in the light of the tablets launch that was rather clumsy. The system is already in place so fix the main problem with those to date which is what she is prescribing now with the correct people to maintain and teach. Education policy 1st offer from Yingluck is sensible and logical. Round 1 on the way to the polls to Yingluck...oh and the Dem's are where???

• Like 1

I think it is logical policy in the light of the tablets launch that was rather clumsy. The system is already in place so fix the main problem with those to date which is what she is prescribing now with the correct people to maintain and teach. Education policy 1st offer from Yingluck is sensible and logical. Round 1 on the way to the polls to Yingluck...oh and the Dem's are where???

Really? If i was a tech student I might not be too thrilled to add to my workload repairing tablets, work which otherwise be done by my future employer. I hope the students are old enough to vote, and the other voters are smart enough to recognise a cheap band-aid fix when they see one.

• Like 2

I still think "one tab per kid" was purely for show, as a pro-PTP statement but also to show other nations what Thailand can do. However, I don't see why it was needed. A classroom with one or two decent PC's would be better, and the extra leftover money could be spent on books, electrics, roofing in schools etc. Getting kids to use PC's at school is very important, but you can have a few per class, and just buy loads of new books instead of personal tabs.

Re; the tech students fixing the problem, its a nice idea in a sort of woolly way, but again they would be better off spending their time studying to excel in their chosen fields.

• Like 1

More utter nonsense coming from yingluck. I'm assuming this was an unscripted, spur of the moment policy statement. Repair centres disappearing? Send in students to do a job they may not be capable of rather than ensure there are centres. Teachers not sure about using tablets? Send in students who are not trained to teach or guide the student's educational use of tablets, rather than have inset for teachers that will enable them to incorporate tablets into their teaching.

I think you may be underestimating the techo savy of Thai teenagers especially some of the guys. Some of the ones that I see repair phones and electronics themselves without relying on anything but parts.

OK the implement was a disaster but if smart teen early adult kids can spend part of their off course holiday time (same as they do for Monk hood but far less time and with freedom) repairing and tag teamed with teachers to show them basic skills, and earn some money to pay for their tuition then that seems a good band aid move. That is a quick fix from the bottom up but the Education system during overall reform (like is that really going to happen? Yingluck or do we get another new Education Minister in 6 months) also needs adjustments made from the top down so that qualified techo teachers step into that role as they become available. Some or a lot I suspect will come from these proposed students.

• Like 1

Prevention better than cure, after 2 and a half years only 50% given out--some pledge, vote catcher for sure.

It all was so superbly organized from day one. NOT Disgusting -total waste of money on crap goods. (initial idea and thought not bad) idiot implementation.

• Like 2

Really? If i was a tech student I might not be too thrilled to add to my workload repairing tablets, work which otherwise be done by my future employer. I hope the students are old enough to vote, and the other voters are smart enough to recognise a cheap band-aid fix when they see one.

One would assume that the tech college boys would be paid. So is this organized properly or is the head raking off? You decide.

Edited by scorecard

The PM even in her and the PT's strongholds is being questioned as to the failures of the promised programs. This is not in the script, nor were those pesky whistle blowers. She has to either get someone to write a script for these unforseen hard questions, continue to do what she does best, give the canned response, " I assigned someone else to handle this", contact them, or align herself with knowledgeable people who can inform her as to the concerns, problems, etc that the Thai people are experiencing on a day to day attempt to find "that promised land", that she promised them for their votes.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm a bit new to the scene on this one. Does anyone have contact information for the group/department that's coordinating this?

Thanks,

Is anyone actually coordinating this?

I think there were a few fights over who was going to control it - Education Department, ICT Department, probably a couple of other departments that wanted their piece of the action as well.

Sorry, I'm a bit new to the scene on this one. Does anyone have contact information for the group/department that's coordinating this?

Thanks,

Is anyone actually coordinating this?

I think there were a few fights over who was going to control it - Education Department, ICT Department, probably a couple of other departments that wanted their piece of the action as well.

COORDINATION is not a word recognized by this government. corruption YES

I'd like to get involved with this program or something like it. But I'm not sure who to contact so I can get a work permit to volunteer.

Technology like this at such a young age is very important. I have resources (time, money, network) to make an impact, but just not the work permit to actually do anything :(

• Like 1

Bluespunk, on 25 Dec 2013 - 07:56, said:

More utter nonsense coming from yingluck. I'm assuming this was an unscripted, spur of the moment policy statement. Repair centres disappearing? Send in students to do a job they may not be capable of rather than ensure there are centres. Teachers not sure about using tablets? Send in students who are not trained to teach or guide the student's educational use of tablets, rather than have inset for teachers that will enable them to incorporate tablets into their teaching.

Apart from a few connectors, there's very little a "technology" student can do. The manufactures do not sell diagnostic equipment, applications or for that matter circuit diagrams on how the tablets work, they are for all intents and purposes a throw away item. This is/was just another bungled scheme.

So instead of buying higher quality tabs that worked, or just buying masses of new books / classrooms etc. she bought stacks of junk tablets then gets tech students to interrupt their critical education years to go fix her tabs she bought from Del Boy Trotter.

As a crab she thinks the world is her lobster! whistling.gif

Edited by ggold

So instead of buying higher quality tabs that worked, or just buying masses of new books / classrooms etc. she bought stacks of junk tablets then gets tech students to interrupt their critical education years to go fix her tabs she bought from Del Boy Trotter.

As a crab she thinks the world is her lobster! whistling.gif

Are they crustASIANS ???