Yingluck seeks to recruit tech students to repair tablets, teach kids

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She opens her mouth, words come out together with warm air...the warm air has more substance...this is the same thoughtless statement we hear all the time from her...putting veggies on her high-speed train is another one (my favorite)...a true, real life b*mbo (not her fault, she is her brother's clone after all)

I don't understand what kids are going to learn from tablets. All I have ever seen is Thais using them as the biggest cameras ever made, emails and playing games. Do they come with some sort of educational programs, written in Thai? I certainly don't see how I could replace the computer I use at work with a tablet. I sometimes wonder how productive a mouse is in reality, it is quite often easier to perform tasks on a computer with keystrokes. Using a touch screen is awkward and I find them difficult to use when typing or on a HMI at work trying to hit the "little red cross in the corner to close the window".

Really what was the point of all this? As stated by someone previously a couple of REAL computers would have been more use IMO.

I suppose they look cool walking around with a tablet though, just a fashion statement is all it seems to me....

• Like 1

I certainly don't see how I could replace the computer I use at work with a tablet. I sometimes wonder how productive a mouse is in reality, it is quite often easier to perform tasks on a computer with keystrokes. Using a touch screen is awkward and I find them difficult to use when typing or on a HMI at work trying to hit the "little red cross in the corner to close the window".

There are a few points to address here.

How "productive" does one need to be at six or seven years old? Or even the average person? Your work and workflows probably relies on using a traditional computer system. So your work cannot be replaced by a tablet. But that isn't the case with other jobs.

A tablet is also far more mobile than a more productive desktop or even notebook computer. My iPad is constantly on WiFi or 3G. Most notebooks don't even come with built in 3G cards and can last 8+ hours.

For example:

My mom uses her iPad much more than her Macbook Pro. She doesn't really like to use the MBP because she's often confused or intimidated by it. Does she double click or single click on this icon? She often has problems keeping the mouse still when double clicking, which results in "doesn't work". She peck types, so obviously a command-line interface won't do very well for her.

Updating your Facebook status or replying to ThaiVisa posts is much more productive on a full size keyboard. But mobile Facebook is HUGE, and there is already a number of posts ending with "Thaivisa mobile app" signatures.

As with any "new" technology, it will take some time to make a transition. Just as when notebook computers first appeared, you had to choose between mobility and power. These days, notebook computers continually replace desktops.

I'm really in favor of the tablet. When the iPad first appeared, I mocked it as being an oversized iPhone. Then I saw all the productivity apps. Mind was blown. This program may not have been successful from the start, but let's not forget the whole healthcare.gov fiasco.

Let's pitch in and put together ways to make this work. :)

• Like 1

So we're back to tablets - Pheu Thai's educational version of the rice scheme ? But now, it's geared towards the promise of better ones, the repair of those still left behind, and now - the sanctioning of company advertising on them. So naturally there is new money to go all around. But in the midst of this, does Yingluck have any idea what is happening outside her bubble ? The spectacle is increasing bizarre.

If this is not an admission of failure of the tablet scam, what is it? Where is the warranty, the contracted repair service, and how does a tech student increase battery life?

Where does it say anything about students increasing battery life?

If this is not an admission of failure of the tablet scam, what is it? Where is the warranty, the contracted repair service, and how does a tech student increase battery life?

Where does it say anything about students increasing battery life?

Try to keep up. The tablets were supposed to replace text books, but have such limited available usage (2 hrs/day??) that this is not possible.

• Like 1

I think it is logical policy in the light of the tablets launch that was rather clumsy. The system is already in place so fix the main problem with those to date which is what she is prescribing now with the correct people to maintain and teach. Education policy 1st offer from Yingluck is sensible and logical. Round 1 on the way to the polls to Yingluck...oh and the Dem's are where???

Really? If i was a tech student I might not be too thrilled to add to my workload repairing tablets, work which otherwise be done by my future employer. I hope the students are old enough to vote, and the other voters are smart enough to recognise a cheap band-aid fix when they see one.

One would assume that the tech college boys would be paid. So is this organized properly or is the head raking off? You decide.

Why assume that? Paid work would have to be voluntary - it would be easier to make it a course requirement (aka slave labour).

Edited by JRSoul

I certainly don't see how I could replace the computer I use at work with a tablet. I sometimes wonder how productive a mouse is in reality, it is quite often easier to perform tasks on a computer with keystrokes. Using a touch screen is awkward and I find them difficult to use when typing or on a HMI at work trying to hit the "little red cross in the corner to close the window".

There are a few points to address here.

How "productive" does one need to be at six or seven years old? Or even the average person? Your work and workflows probably relies on using a traditional computer system. So your work cannot be replaced by a tablet. But that isn't the case with other jobs.

A tablet is also far more mobile than a more productive desktop or even notebook computer. My iPad is constantly on WiFi or 3G. Most notebooks don't even come with built in 3G cards and can last 8+ hours.

For example:

My mom uses her iPad much more than her Macbook Pro. She doesn't really like to use the MBP because she's often confused or intimidated by it. Does she double click or single click on this icon? She often has problems keeping the mouse still when double clicking, which results in "doesn't work". She peck types, so obviously a command-line interface won't do very well for her.

Updating your Facebook status or replying to ThaiVisa posts is much more productive on a full size keyboard. But mobile Facebook is HUGE, and there is already a number of posts ending with "Thaivisa mobile app" signatures.

As with any "new" technology, it will take some time to make a transition. Just as when notebook computers first appeared, you had to choose between mobility and power. These days, notebook computers continually replace desktops.

I'm really in favor of the tablet. When the iPad first appeared, I mocked it as being an oversized iPhone. Then I saw all the productivity apps. Mind was blown. This program may not have been successful from the start, but let's not forget the whole healthcare.gov fiasco.

Let's pitch in and put together ways to make this work. smile.png

I understand what you are saying but I still feel that (at this stage anyway) a tablet is more of a social thing than an actual productive one.

How many educational apps are there, let alone those written in Thai? Even young children can learn from simple educational "games", in fact if the app or program is written properly they don't even realize they are learning maths or whatever.

At seven years old I would think simple addition and subtraction along with some literacy skills would be appropriate, wouldn't you think? That is 2 years of schooling at that stage.

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying but I still feel that (at this stage anyway) a tablet is more of a social thing than an actual productive one.

How many educational apps are there, let alone those written in Thai? Even young children can learn from simple educational "games", in fact if the app or program is written properly they don't even realize they are learning maths or whatever.

At seven years old I would think simple addition and subtraction along with some literacy skills would be appropriate, wouldn't you think? That is 2 years of schooling at that stage.

There are actually quite a number of apps available for education, at least with the iPad. But why worry about the apps being in Thai? Why not introduce them to English as well? And it wouldn't be very hard to translate apps to Thai. Let's contact the software author to see how much it would cost to re-release the app in Thai (with the text supplied by "us"), then contact the organizing body to see if they'll foot the bill. If that doesn't pan out, put it up on Kickstarter.

I agree that tablets have been settling in as a social thing. But I believe it's because of society and people, not the actual technology. Technology is moving faster than people can keep up, and we all know how fast governments move. This is a GLOBAL problem.

Let's go a step further. Let's inspire the local citizens about programming. Heard of http://code.org ? Let's show them programming isn't for the hard core nerds and that anyone can do it. They can develop apps to be the next Angry Birds, or develop apps to help their local community.

I can go on about this for hours, haha. It's something I feel deeply passionate about.

I think it is logical policy in the light of the tablets launch that was rather clumsy. The system is already in place so fix the main problem with those to date which is what she is prescribing now with the correct people to maintain and teach. Education policy 1st offer from Yingluck is sensible and logical. Round 1 on the way to the polls to Yingluck...oh and the Dem's are where???

I read your comment with interest right up until you used the words "sensible and logical" in the same sentence as "Yingluck", then I lost interest altogether. Waste of time reading copied and pasted tripe.

This whole tablet scheme was a farce, designed to win favor, and votes from people who are easily fooled.

Looks like the Shinawatra Fishing Co. caught a few dumb farangs as well. clap2.gif

Another fine example of the ''profit motive'' at work.

The corrupt politicians lined their pockets and the consumers got fourth rate products..

Here in Amphur Sangkha the children at our local village school in P.1. still have not received their tablets and when questions were asked at the Tessa Bahn as to when said tablets wold be availabe there was no answer given.

Another fine scam is yet again highlighted..

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

the money for the repair contract

was spend, but not on technicians, but in the usual peoples pockets that are never full

The millions spent on the repair contact AND the millions supposedly spent on teacher training in order for them to teach the students have all been wasted as now Yingluck wants vocational students to perform both tasks.

Well done Yingluck.

'Consideration should also be given to extending the free tablets to Prathom 2'.

Wasn't the pledge one tablet for every child?

At our local village school even the Prathom 1 students haven't received one yet.

The promise was that ALL students in primary, secondary, AND vocational schools would have free tablets for the beginning of the school year in May 2012.

The Yingluck government has fallen slightly below reaching that pledge.

Prevention better than cure, after 2 and a half years only 50% given out--some pledge, vote catcher for sure.

It all was so superbly organized from day one. NOT Disgusting -total waste of money on crap goods. (initial idea and thought not bad) idiot implementation.

In light of the original pledge for ALL students, the percent of tablets given out is around 7%.

There are actually quite a number of apps available for education, at least with the iPad. But why worry about the apps being in Thai? Why not introduce them to English as well? And it wouldn't be very hard to translate apps to Thai. Let's contact the software author to see how much it would cost to re-release the app in Thai (with the text supplied by "us"), then contact the organizing body to see if they'll foot the bill. If that doesn't pan out, put it up on Kickstarter.

I agree that tablets have been settling in as a social thing. But I believe it's because of society and people, not the actual technology. Technology is moving faster than people can keep up, and we all know how fast governments move. This is a GLOBAL problem.

Let's go a step further. Let's inspire the local citizens about programming. Heard of http://code.org ? Let's show them programming isn't for the hard core nerds and that anyone can do it. They can develop apps to be the next Angry Birds, or develop apps to help their local community.

I can go on about this for hours, haha. It's something I feel deeply passionate about.

Hmmm I am not disagreeing with your principles and passion for technology. But..... the fact is the infrastructure is not there at the moment so what good are they in the real world right now for the children who have them? I think you would have a problem with getting the Thai education to start teaching lessons in English, although I don't disagree with your logic. The last time I met a high school English teacher in Isaan I could not have a conversation of the most simplest with her, I was totally amazed but it bought about the realities of rural education here. The inspiration for the local people should have been accomplished BEFORE issuing the tablets. I remember my first 286 computer running on MS-DOS, I got it home and looked at the blinking cursor and said "great, what now". Computers an Tablets are tools, a hammer is not much good without nails, it would be difficult to remove nails with a ball pene hammer, if you get my drift.

My point is that the children who already have been lucky enough to receive a Tablet at this stage probably have very little educational use for them, unless they have a Facebook account..... They have put the cart before the horse so to speak, no matter what the intentions, it was really just a PR exersise for those who need it and very little benifit for those who should (and need to) be benefitting from them. IMO.

• Like 1

Hmmm I am not disagreeing with your principles and passion for technology. But..... the fact is the infrastructure is not there at the moment so what good are they in the real world right now for the children who have them? I think you would have a problem with getting the Thai education to start teaching lessons in English, although I don't disagree with your logic. The last time I met a high school English teacher in Isaan I could not have a conversation of the most simplest with her, I was totally amazed but it bought about the realities of rural education here. The inspiration for the local people should have been accomplished BEFORE issuing the tablets. I remember my first 286 computer running on MS-DOS, I got it home and looked at the blinking cursor and said "great, what now". Computers an Tablets are tools, a hammer is not much good without nails, it would be difficult to remove nails with a ball pene hammer, if you get my drift.

My point is that the children who already have been lucky enough to receive a Tablet at this stage probably have very little educational use for them, unless they have a Facebook account..... They have put the cart before the horse so to speak, no matter what the intentions, it was really just a PR exersise for those who need it and very little benifit for those who should (and need to) be benefitting from them. IMO.

First off, I would like to thank you for this very helpful conversation. It's been motivating me to get back on this project that I've sidelined for some time now. If we are ever in the same city, I owe you a beer (or favorite drink of choice).

You're right, that the infrastructure isn't there. However, there will always be something wrong or missing preventing success. If it's not English, it'll be money, or government laws, or, or, or... Others see a road block or a dead end, I see a new adventure off the beaten path. (I used to have Jeep).

We need to define well what infrastructure is needed in order to solve it.

English is not wide spread in rural Thailand. Ok. Two prongs here. First one, apps only need a minimal amount of actual English text to be effective. Angry Birds could actually use MORE text... So we work with existing apps that have intuitive interfaces. Secondly, use the tablets TO teach English. This can even work to teach the teachers English :) Perhaps we can partner up with the best language school on developing an app to teach English. Anyone who says this idea will cost them customers has a business about to fail.

You're also right that inspiration should be there before the technology. However, that's not the hand we were dealt. The government has put the cart before the horse, but at least we have a horse and cart. It's much easier to turn them around than buying a new horse. While there is definitely a lot of work to be done, it's definitely possible to do.

My plan is to learn to read, write, and speak Thai. Then apply for an investment visa and actually plan out where to start this program. Something like a tech school or non-profit consulting firm to existing schools. Try to get something going (within the limits of my visa, as advised by a law firm), then beg some US firms ( Gates Foundation, Google, Facebook, etc...) to get funding to make it all happen. If anyone wants to participate in this project, please let me know :)

Prevention better than cure, after 2 and a half years only 50% given out--some pledge, vote catcher for sure.

It all was so superbly organized from day one. NOT Disgusting -total waste of money on crap goods. (initial idea and thought not bad) idiot implementation.

In light of the original pledge for ALL students, the percent of tablets given out is around 7%.

Received and given out are two separate percentages. I remember so many had been delivered but a delay in the second batch. No one seems to know how many were ordered-how many were received and how many were given out. No one will ever know. Was there a contract on faulty ones-- contract to do repairs

--default if delay on order. Because of all the IFFs I smell a racket here.

Thailand is the real PadHub/TabHub of Education....By the way, how many of them are still working? Call me if you need moor, veeely cheap, only for you my fliend, don't wait too loon....welcomeani.gif.pagespeed.ce.WEO6J5z5nm.g

Was that rather offensive last part of your post really necessary?

Total failure. How can they proceed with a policy like this when there are many schools in TH without even electricity? I've had the privilege to help out in some upcountry schools and man is it a bare bones operation. Horrible populist policy that has real education of the children as a very very low priority.

when there are many schools in TH without even electricity?

Approx. 2000 schools in Thailand don´t have electricity.

• Like 1

Very good Appwill. Your energy and views will be more effective elsewhere than in this forum though. I fear in here the number of progressive and openminded people is quite limited. There is no way to prevent integrating ict in schools. Unfortunately too many people involved are too sceptical scared for the fairly unknown. Working tablets are fine to replace books in some subjects (mathematics f.i.). But they are great for the first years of elementary school. And for kids in others years and highschool students tablets are a great resource as well. For many subjects in school one can do exercises in the internet. Instructional educational video's are popping up all over the place. All it takes is to bring the teachers and the kids faster to them. When that happens things will be booming.