Need a DC-AC invertor for my my truck

canuckamuck

Certainly Amorn have then but do not know if there is a Chiang Rai branch (certainly in Chiang Mai).

Have you checked the capacity of the DC accessory outlet in your truck ? Mine is rated at 10A which would not be enough for a 'at least 150W converter'.

• Like 2

Certainly Amorn have then but do not know if there is a Chiang Rai branch (certainly in Chiang Mai).

Have you checked the capacity of the DC accessory outlet in your truck ? Mine is rated at 10A which would not be enough for a 'at least 150W converter'.

Thanks for mentioning that, I will have to look. I do have an extra outlet, with wiring, that I bought in Canada, so if the standard one doesn't cut it I will install my extra which looks fairly robust.

Thanks for mentioning that, I will have to look. I do have an extra outlet, with wiring, that I bought in Canada, so if the standard one doesn't cut it I will install my extra which looks fairly robust.

I had to run a fused wire from the battery. The cigar lighter type connectors are not heavy enough. Had to wire direct to the inverter. Made a disconnect in the wire and disguised it with tape because 'helpful' Thais kept reconnecting it with bare wires inside.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help so far, I am still looking for the invertor, I am thinking now 100 watts will do. I am up in Mae Sai in a few days, I might get lucky and find one there.

Still that is 8+ amps. A fair amount of heat generated.

I bought mine at a (very) small town electric shop. I would think that shops selling those godawful car boom boxes would have them.

I had to put one under the hood of my pickup. It was too big for inside the cab. Then I either used it outside, or ran wires into the cab. I also put in a second battery with a divi charger. I had an RV service center do it. This is a standard setup in RV's. Almost all RVs have AC outlets.

Pulling a heavy load (for a car) like 100 watts, it will drain one battery, and then use the other but only drain it about 1/2 way and then shut off leaving enough battery to start the vehicle.

Are there any RV service centers around?

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

duel batteries (preferably deep cell) with a direct connection to the invertor and as said an isolator switch to 1 battery, go the extra and put in a 500w inverter not much extra and a lot less draw down whilst in use.

Edited by briboy
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help so far, I am still looking for the invertor, I am thinking now 100 watts will do. I am up in Mae Sai in a few days, I might get lucky and find one there.

it would be helpful if you told us what gadget you want to connect, the amps or watts that gadget draws, time usage as well as converting with a running engine or not. otherwise any advice may be useless.

one more thing is to check the fuse which protects your outlet (cigarette lighter?). a 10amp fuse can barely serve a 100watt gadget connected via inverter (efficiency 80-85%) to a car battery.

Edited by Naam