I Can't Keep Keeping My New Nexus 7 2nd Gen 32GB LTE In A Sock! Pls Help. Tks.

MrGaoMungGawn

I have just been into a few shops in CM, and one of the store owners told me that it is very difficult to find a good case, or protector, or do-dad to keep the Nexus safe from minor bumps, and cushion it from shock, somewhat.

He told me that he had nothing, and at this time he did not know who would.

Where can you find the right thing to carry around your Nexus 7 tablet?

I have seen a lot for phones in this store, but nothing for the Nexus 7.

I do not want bright colors.

I like good quality, like leather, or metal,

Also, I want something that is easy to use and inconspicuous as possible, and very light weight, too.

I am sure someone here already knows what is the best thing to buy in Thailand.

There are none, at least not in Bangkok and Pattaya. If you can get Amazon to send it to Thailand, check this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E4OKXPU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1388090545&sr=8-5π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Thanks, but you know I think that the ASUS cover/case is pretty flimsy. I wanted something that would actually protect it.

1. So, if there is nothing in Thailand, which I am beginning to think is true, then can you think of something, some solution, that is more creative than just buying off the shelf?

I actually am using a sock at the moment, but it makes people laugh, which might be a good thing. Unfortunately, they will also think I am too cheap or poor to buy a case.

There must be something that I can think to use which might be even better than an off the shelf case, right?

2. I suppose I could get a local shoe maker to stitch together something in leather to make a case.

An interesting problem to solve though, don't you think?

(After TAKING a second look, I think the one you linked is not made by Asus, and is probably better than theirs. Sitll, I need a different local solution.

Edited by MrGaoMungGawn

I wanted a rubberized skin for my Nexus 7 (2013/2556) in the USA. Didn't find much in stores, and what is there is way too overpriced. I normally look on eBay for this type of item, and found several styles there, though not the variety I'm used to for more popular phones like the S4 and Note 3.

Anyway, got a case (pictured below) that will certainly protect it, though it is a bit bulkier than I wanted. It is a plastic shell that has a rubber skin over it that is secured with "nubs" that fit in cutouts around the case to secure the skin in place. Looks a bit like some "starter tablet" for little kids, but it is protected. I hope something a bit more to my liking emerges later. Still, I think your best variety and pricing on these products will come from eBay.

20131227_204648_zps6fb6b4c0.jpg

I actually am using a sock at the moment, but it makes people laugh, which might be a good thing. Unfortunately, they will also think I am too cheap or poor to buy a case.

Then put the other sock over your head to save face. tongue.png

Beautiful. I love this idea.

Actually, I think I have been waiting 9 months to hear someone on TVF make a reposte as nice as yours.

Good going!

I wanted a rubberized skin for my Nexus 7 (2013/2556) in the USA. Didn't find much in stores, and what is there is way too overpriced. I normally look on eBay for this type of item, and found several styles there, though not the variety I'm used to for more popular phones like the S4 and Note 3.

Anyway, got a case (pictured below) that will certainly protect it, though it is a bit bulkier than I wanted. It is a plastic shell that has a rubber skin over it that is secured with "nubs" that fit in cutouts around the case to secure the skin in place. Looks a bit like some "starter tablet" for little kids, but it is protected. I hope something a bit more to my liking emerges later. Still, I think your best variety and pricing on these products will come from eBay.

20131227_204648_zps6fb6b4c0.jpg

What you have here is just about perfect for me, too. I am more concerened with shock to the case than with sore to my eye. I think it is too colorful for me, but I would definitely buy one if I found it in a local store. From EBAY, I would be concerend with logistics of mailing. I definitely will only buy from some place in Chiang Mai.

Today, I returned to the Center Mall at the Airport, and there is nothing there in any stores, and I was told by several shop minders that no one has this size to fit the Nexus.

But you did find for yourself a very good solution, I think.

Oh yeah, have a look at PD Air. They sell direct from HK and make very nice premium leather cases. I always get their cases for my smart phones. Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

HK?, OK! I will try HK because I know that place. They have everything, and sometimes I wish I still lived there.

3basn7ex1_1.jpg

But 69USD seems rather steep for this. It is leather and quite nice, though! Real nice!

Tks.

But 69USD seems rather steep for this. It is leather and quite nice, though! Real nice!

I paid over £100 for my iPhone 5S case. If you want quality you'll pay premium for it. If you want a garish, bright blue, cheap rubber bumper for £3, you'll be in your element.

Hold on, a minute, sir. I think there is nothing wrong with choosing the utilitarian blue rubber bumper case because it just might be more protective than some leather ones, if it absorbs shock better. That is why they make golf balls out of rubber windings inside. I would definitely not mind using one of the rubber ones IF I could get it in black, not black and blue.

Also, I agree with you that I prefer hardwood furniture instead of that 1950s 60s plastic multi-colored pink, lime green, crappy stuff I saw in my neighbors houses sometimes. I like fine carpets and rugs, hard wood floors, Steinway pianos and original art on the walls, but sometimes I cannot afford the millions for 1 Van Gogh, that I dearly want.

So, I get a copy painted in China. And I wonder where I can get a nice leather knock-off from China. There sometimes differ very little from the originals, and sometimes these copies are actually being produced by the same factories that make the originals.

So, to the fellow with the blue case, I say fine!

And just give me a black one.

But 65 dollars for a case? I say no way because I will keep looking until I find basically the same thing for 12 or 15. You ought to take a look at the documentary which exposed the real cost of these Gucci bags and other leather bags, where they are produced using slave labor. So 65 USD I will not pay.

Tks.

Literally hundreds of listings @ Ebay, many that will ship to Thailand, some even for free

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=tablet%20case%20for%20Nexus%207&_fscr=1

Thanks VERY much.

I would like to try some shipments from HK, not so much just for the case, but mainly because I would like to be able to buy things from Ebay and HK, IF I were to get free shipping somehow.

That would be wonderful, IF I did not get charge huge imp duty, and if things did not get "lost" in the mail.

I did not realize you could get free shipping from HK!

Literally hundreds of listings @ Ebay, many that will ship to Thailand, some even for free

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=tablet%20case%20for%20Nexus%207&_fscr=1

Thanks VERY much.

I would like to try some shipments from HK, not so much just for the case, but mainly because I would like to be able to buy things from Ebay and HK, IF I were to get free shipping somehow.

That would be wonderful, IF I did not get charge huge imp duty, and if things did not get "lost" in the mail.

I did not realize you could get free shipping from HK!

I recently ordered some electrical parts ( 2 ea. 12 v dimmers, connectors, gender changers and a USB 3.0 stick) and not only did I get free shipping but since the sellers sent the items via regular post I did not have to pay duty. (and during the Christmas rush if anything was to go missing it would have been now) Just look at the listings and see where they ship to and usually to Thailand is free.

The only warning I have about Ebay is that they will usually only ship to your PayPal address, but it is easy to open up a PayPal account with a Thai address and a foreign credit card to back it up (while they verify your Thai bank account)

I paid over £100 for my iPhone 5S case. If you want quality you'll pay premium for it. If you want a garish, bright blue, cheap rubber bumper for £3, you'll be in your element.

Hold on, a minute, sir. I think there is nothing wrong with choosing the utilitarian blue rubber bumper case because it just might be more protective than some leather ones, if it absorbs shock better. That is why they make golf balls out of rubber windings inside. I would definitely not mind using one of the rubber ones IF I could get it in black, not black and blue.

Also, I agree with you that I prefer hardwood furniture instead of that 1950s 60s plastic multi-colored pink, lime green, crappy stuff I saw in my neighbors houses sometimes. I like fine carpets and rugs, hard wood floors, Steinway pianos and original art on the walls, but sometimes I cannot afford the millions for 1 Van Gogh, that I dearly want.

So, I get a copy painted in China. And I wonder where I can get a nice leather knock-off from China. There sometimes differ very little from the originals, and sometimes these copies are actually being produced by the same factories that make the originals.

But 65 dollars for a case? I say no way because I will keep looking until I find basically the same thing for 12 or 15. You ought to take a look at the documentary which exposed the real cost of these Gucci bags and other leather bags, where they are produced using slave labor. So 65 USD I will not pay.

Tks.

It won't be the same for 12 or 15 bucks. It will most likely be PE leather. PD Air cases are the real thing. Very well made, and worth the expense if you value quality.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Saw these in Best Buy (in the U.S.) this morning - I was buying another Chromecast - just to give you a feel for pricing.

They have N7/16 GB or 32 GB/WiFi only in stock: $229/$269 (USD). I saw the N7/16 GB/Wifi only for $214 USD at Staples yesterday.

In Thailand I would search out on-line options via Thai websites - ask someone to help - or go to an Asus shop which sells the N7, or if in Bangkok go to Sua Pa Road, where there is a HUGE wholesale mobile phone accessory shopping area. Dozens of shops - this is where retailers, owners of small mobile phone shops - go to shop. I guarantee you'll find something but it might take a while.

post-9615-0-79436900-1388326021_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tks.

It won't be the same for 12 or 15 bucks. It will most likely be PE leather. PD Air cases are the real thing. Very well made, and worth the expense if you value quality.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

no phone case is worth over $100

i cant see the smartness of buying a case thats costs maybe 20%+ of the item

thats going to be losing value every 3 months anyway

if you can make it last 4 years the case price will exceed the value of the phone itself

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was faced with a similar problem after I bought a Kindle Paperwhite in Bangkok. Since Kindles are not common in Thailand, there is really not much of a market for cases for them. And, like you, I was not willing to pay US$50 or more for one of the fancy original cases that don't even really protect the device. So I had to get creative. I ended up buying a soft case (for 300 baht) that was exactly the size of my Kindle. Then I bought a plastic container from the supermarket (for another 69 baht) that the Kindle and the soft case fit into. With the hard plastic case, I can now carry my Kindle in my backpack anywhere I go without fearing it will be damaged. It's an unconventional solution, but it works perfectly for my needs. (See attached photos.)

post-57496-0-67007800-1389900013_thumb.j

post-57496-0-67589500-1389900030_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Cases for the Nexus 7 are available on ebay in a wide variety of styles and quality levels. The coolest thing I heard of was to go to an office supply and get a pack of mailing envelopes with bubble wrap inside and made of rain resistant tyvek. Cheap, and it just looks like you're carrying a ratty old non-descript envelope around. Anti-chic!

Somebody sent me an ad for such an item, pre-wrinkled and ratty on the outside, with silk fabric inside over the bubble wrap. It even had a fake mailing sticker on it. They wanted an excessive amount for it.

I have a good quality book type cover for my N7, but I don't like the way it feels when the cover is folded back. At home I leave it out of its case.