Democrat leader Abhisit urges govt action to end political crisis

webfact

Does not matter which government takes power, because it's a fight to the cream of the pie. Good jobs and good money within. All governments are corrupt in Thailand, and this corruption not only stems from within the government but within ranks of the police and the army. The whole system needs to be replaced with a proper anti corruption agency that is a separate entity from the above with powers to arrest and convict and seize assets, the current anti corruption agency is also corrupted.

Once this has been resolved then only will the power return to the people of Thailand. Until then there are going to be many protests, violence and even coups. They need to remove the root of evil, and stop putting blame on others.

I absolutely agree with you, but, what can you do when over 70% of people polled said that they don't mind corruption when it benefits themselves?

When the vast majority of the voting public wouldn't hesitate to turn to corrupt practices to enrich themselves and their families, what hope is there?

There isn't any.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what is his great idea to achieve peace?... overthrow the government so the red-shirts can come and turn bangkok into a war zone again?...

i don't believe anyone from st johns could be so stupid (notwithstanding the mess tony blair created in the middle east)...

i can only assume abhisit is scared to say what he must surely really think through fear to offend the old robber barons / shysters who hold the power in the anti-democrats (formerly known as democrats) party

• Like 1

She is listening to the majority of the people. That's why she up North.

This might come as a big surprise to you!! It is New Year in a couple of days. Most Thais like to spend their holidays with their family in the home province.

Yingluck is from Chiang Mai, so maybe she is just following a Thai tradition, and want to spend some time with her partner and son??

Or is that too simple? A good old fashion conspiracy-theory is more sexy?whistling.gif

• Like 2

She is listening to the majority of the people. That's why she up North.

This might come as a big surprise to you!! It is New Year in a couple of days. Most Thais like to spend their holidays with their family in the home province.

Yingluck is from Chiang Mai, so maybe she is just following a Thai tradition, and want to spend some time with her partner and son??

Or is that too simple? A good old fashion conspiracy-theory is more sexy?whistling.gif

She has been up there for nearly a week, and it's not even New Year yet.

• Like 1

so what is his great idea to achieve peace?... overthrow the government so the red-shirts can come and turn bangkok into a war zone again?...

i don't believe anyone from st johns could be so stupid (notwithstanding the mess tony blair created in the middle east)...

i can only assume abhisit is scared to say what he must surely really think through fear to offend the old robber barons / shysters who hold the power in the anti-democrats (formerly known as democrats) party

This government deserves to be overthrown for the number of reasons. It's actually nothing to do with the red shirts, it's sheer criminality of their actions. You've got take off your blinkers. I'm not saying Suthep is doing the right thing but what's the alternative. Let these criminals further destroy Thai economy and drive the country totally into ground. I'm certain British or any other European government would simply being called upon to resign for losing over 13 billion USD just to stay popular. Not to mention blatantly ignoring the constitution. That's not democracy. Anyway, Thailand is a constitutional monarchy. They do not need the western style democracy. Two party system, where both parties are owned by corporations and big business and elected politicians do as they're told. And then you delude yourself that your vote actually counts. It counts for nothing.

It was a cynical decision to schedule the election for 3rd February 2014 as it falls with Chinese New Year celebration when the majority of Thais, especially the ones of Chinese origin, take their families to travel around the country. Many Bangkokians won't be at home. And naturally, they would not be able to cast their vote. I'm certain if the election is scheduled for some time in May 2014 that everyone would agree. And that is what the current corrupted government should do, compromise instead of adding fuel to the fire,

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 2

Protests started in 2005 and 2006 when Thaksin was changing laws to benefit himself.

Protests started in 2008 when the PPP started trying to whitewash Thaksin's charges.

Protests started in 2010 when the courts confiscated 46 billion baht of "Thaksin's" money.

Protests started in 2013 when the PTP started trying to whitewash Thaksin's charges and conviction.

There's a pretty common theme there.

Miss "we want peace, not power" Yingluck, doesn't seem to understand that being #1 on the PTP party list (along with Somchai at #2) gives her power, and doesn't bring peace.

yingluck (looks aside) isn't very good but using force against her (and the democratically elected government she represents) will not bring peace... thailand has been down that path before and this will end the same way... thailand needs a new way but neither side are offering this so the mess will continue

yingluck (looks aside) isn't very good but using force against her (and the democratically elected government she represents) will not bring peace... thailand has been down that path before and this will end the same way... thailand needs a new way but neither side are offering this so the mess will continue

The way out at the moment appears to be for Yingluck to step down. PTP will still be in power. The red shirts will still have their party. But the main thing causing problems in Thailand for the last 8 years will have been removed.

This government deserves to be overthrown for the number of reasons. It's actually nothing to do with the red shirts, it's sheer criminality of their actions. You've got take off your blinkers. I'm not saying Suthep is doing the right thing but what's the alternative. Let these criminals further destroy Thai economy and drive the country totally into ground. I'm certain British or any other European government would simply being called upon to resign for losing over 13 billion USD just to stay popular. Not to mention blatantly ignoring the constitution. That's not democracy. Anyway, Thailand is a constitutional monarchy. They do not need the western style democracy. Two party system, where both parties are owned by corporations and big business and elected politicians do as they're told. And then you delude yourself that your vote actually counts. It counts for nothing.

It was a cynical decision to schedule the election for 3rd February 2014 as it falls with Chinese New Year celebration when the majority of Thais, especially the ones of Chinese origin, take their families to travel around the country. Many Bangkokians won't be at home. And naturally, they would not be able to cast their vote. I'm certain if the election is scheduled for some time in May 2014 that everyone would agree. And that is what the current corrupted government should do, compromise instead of adding fuel to the fire,

The trouble is, YL cannot allow the elections to be delayed until May, since the 180-day period for forcing through the Amnesty Bill will have expired by then.

That is what this country has to look forward to if these elections go ahead, but it will be too late for the blind followers to withdraw their vote at that time.

If that scenario does come about, then we will have what I have been predicting for several months, the decline of the Thai economy and a rapid rise in violence, indeed, civil war.

Let's not forget what got us here. A government who ignored the law of the land, is engaged in massive corruption, and is anything but democratic. Thus, the huge numbers of protesters. Many of whom are not yellow shirts, are not democrats and are not amart. Just tired of the current governments lies. Hard to argue with them.

This could have all been avoided by killing the amnesty bill instead of trying to ram it through. Or at least accept Abhisit's proposal to exclude himself, Suthep and Thaksin from it. That request was ignored.

amnesty bill is long gone - the government has called an election - why are people still dying?...

Because they killed it too late, it was the catalyst that was needed. Now people want change, they want laws that keep the government honest. Now, the most likely to win again is YL but as her party lives of corruption you cant expect them to willingly change things so the people would benefit instead of their bank-accounts can you ? So as long as they don't want to give up the money people will keep on dying.

The other side has its corrupt people too but as they are unlikely to get in power they rather make sure nobody gets to steal from the government coffers in the way that has been going on then to let the reds have it again.

Sounds simple enough.. not of course for die hard red followers.

Holding the majority of Thais hostage will certainly not bring things to a peaceful end.

An amazing speech from someone who is considered one of the smartest politicians in Thailand.

They must be so proud at Oxford.

Oxford likely instructed Abhisit about feudalism, lords and manors which is essentially the same process as showing some water to the horse.

In the West the horses keep on walking.

Abhisit however has always swum in the same water as his autocrat ancestors did, right here in Thailand.

So Abhisit too wants a 'people's council' just as Iran has a Supreme Council to supervise democracy, to prune the eligible candidates to only those it likes and approves of and to assure the continuation into the present world the reactionary and destructive ideology and theology of feudalism.

Which is why Thailand's been going nowhere fast for the past 30 years.

The past 500 years.

And worst of all being hard core about it.

Holding the majority of Thais hostage will certainly not bring things to a peaceful end.

An amazing speech from someone who is considered one of the smartest politicians in Thailand.

Oxford likely instructed Abhisit about feudalism, lords and manors which is essentially the same process as showing some water to the horse.

Abhisit however has always swum in the same water as his autocrat ancestors did, right here in Thailand.

So Abhisit too wants a 'people's council' just as Iran has a Supreme Council to supervise democracy, to prune the eligible candidates to only those it likes and approves of and to assure the continuation into the present world the reactionary and destructive ideology and theology of feudalism.

The past 500 years.

You don't think there is feudalism in Thailand? That's how most MPs in Thailand get elected.

It was a cynical decision to schedule the election for 3rd February 2013 as it falls with Chinese New Year celebration when the majority of Thais, especially the ones of Chinese origin, take their families to travel around the country. Many Bangkokians won't be at home. And naturally, they would not be able to cast their vote. I'm certain if the election is scheduled for some time in May 2013 that everyone would agree. And that is what the current corrupted government should do, compromise instead of adding fuel to the fire,

i think yingluck has done a lot more compromising than the opposition but the blame game will not bring peace

the party formerly known as the democrats need to look at themselves and fix their own shortcomings to become electable rather than repeating the same old divisive rhetoric and allowing uncomprising figures such as suthep (who's history of corruption/cheating hardly sets him apart from those he is trying to overthrow) to represent / misrepresent them

in the medium / long term, for peace to be achieved, either side (and i actually think the opposition have more chance to achieve this) need to modernize in a way that they are seen as representative of all thais (so that their mandate for power is accepted by everyone)

none of this will be easy (not least because some senior politicians will need to be brave enough to break free from the comfort of telling their supporters what they want to hear) but it is possible and is frankly the only sensible solution

The past 500 years.

You don't think there is feudalism in Thailand? That's how most MPs in Thailand get elected.

I'm saying Thailand is controlled by reactionary feudal lords in their manors and that I 100% reject feudalism anywhere in the modern and future world.

Maybe I need to rewrite my post.

Let's not forget what got us here. A government who ignored the law of the land, is engaged in massive corruption, and is anything but democratic. Thus, the huge numbers of protesters. Many of whom are not yellow shirts, are not democrats and are not amart. Just tired of the current governments lies. Hard to argue with them.

This could have all been avoided by killing the amnesty bill instead of trying to ram it through. Or at least accept Abhisit's proposal to exclude himself, Suthep and Thaksin from it. That request was ignored.

amnesty bill is long gone - the government has called an election - why are people still dying?...

Because they killed it too late, it was the catalyst that was needed. Now people want change, they want laws that keep the government honest. Now, the most likely to win again is YL but as her party lives of corruption you cant expect them to willingly change things so the people would benefit instead of their bank-accounts can you ? So as long as they don't want to give up the money people will keep on dying.

The other side has its corrupt people too but as they are unlikely to get in power they rather make sure nobody gets to steal from the government coffers in the way that has been going on then to let the reds have it again.

given the opposition were in power not so long ago, it should be clear this current attempt to grab power is not about constitutional reform

they had a chance to fix it and didn't - if they want another go, they need to be elected or work together with the government to make such reforms

telling the government (and electorate) that we know best so give us power and we will sort it out for you silly fools, is not going to work

• Like 1

given the opposition were in power not so long ago, it should be clear this current attempt to grab power is not about constitutional reform

they had a chance to fix it and didn't - if they want another go, they need to be elected or work together with the government to make such reforms

telling the government (and electorate) that we know best so give us power and we will sort it out for you silly fools, is not going to work

The Democrat government did set up a reform committee after the 2010 riots. All their findings were ignored by the current government.

• Like 2

Just look at whybother his post and see why you are wrong.

Plus its not 2010 its 2013 people have different needs now and they realize this. Its YL that realizes that if she goes on with this she will loose the ability to rape the country so she resists. The oposition are no angels but they see now they cant win so they just want to make sure people can't steal from the country. I don't understand why anyone would be against this (unless your a politician). This is the time to clean up politics, the democrats are no angels but do this to hurt the ones that are in position to steal.

It would be a great step forward and take money for a large part out of politics (corruption will exist but on a smaller scale). That would mellow out the Thai politics for sure. win win id say.

• Like 1

The amnesty bill is not dead, just so we are correct here. It can be brought back up after 180 days. Big reason people are still protesting. The bill can be passed very quickly now with NO debate.

Cynical is your comment. The government has a certain time schedule for new elections and that small window is closing. The request to delay by 1 or 2 month was never put to the PM as the Great Leader has already make it clear first changes than election. Therefore even a proposal from PM would only fuel the fire as you said.

The constitutional monarchy is based on the Thai Constitution which clearly indicates election and not selection as the process to fill up the parliament seats.

Edited by blabth
  • Like 1

yingluck is not saying she refuses to make reforms... she is saying she refuses to give power to suthep to make these reforms (the irony of suthep leading an "anti-corruption" movement is clear even to her simple mind)

reforms could / should help but why should anyone believe suthep's "people's council" can be trusted to deliver this any more than the elected government?... the opposition is not demanding reform, they are demanding POWER (with a promise to make the reforms they forgot to make last time they had power until lots of people died on the streets of bangkok fighting for a return to democracy)

I don't always read fiction, but I read all your postings so I remember what fiction is

yingluck is not saying she refuses to make reforms... she is saying she refuses to give power to suthep to make these reforms (the irony of suthep leading an "anti-corruption" movement is clear even to her simple mind)

reforms could / should help but why should anyone believe suthep's "people's council" can be trusted to deliver this any more than the elected government?... the opposition is not demanding reform, they are demanding POWER (with a promise to make the reforms they forgot to make last time they had power until lots of people died on the streets of bangkok fighting for a return to democracy)

Yingluck has said she will organise reform after she is re-elected. Will that be anything like the discussions about the Amnesty Bill? She has shown that she can't be trusted.

And you believe what the PM says? The current government doesn't have a good track record with telling the truth.

Reforms should be made before she is re-elected. Which everybody knows will happen. Thus, the protests to have them done before any new election.

Yingluck has said she will organise reform after she is re-elected. Will that be anything like the discussions about the Amnesty Bill? She has shown that she can't be trusted.

I agree. But do you think Suthep can be trusted ? He has also quite a lot of corruption history with the palm oil and phuket as exemples Edited by aaacorp

I agree. But do you think Suthep can be trusted ? He has also quite a lot of corruption history with the palm oil and phuket as exemples

So, what to do about it? Neither side can be trusted. Both sides will bring out large numbers of protesters.

The only solution is for Suthep to stop protesting and go and retire in Surat Thani, and for Yingluck to resign and go back to running one of Thaksin's companies.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

It's actually refreshing to see Abhisit speak. He's articulate, emotional balanced, and clearly in touch with what is going on. Yingluck on the other hand, is inspecting train tracks, roads, and pointing at smoke. One is connected to the situation. The other is not. Yet one of them is the PM. That's the serious bit. And until Yingluck gets her act together, the Thai people will be continuing this journey into the maelstrom. It's time to turn her focus towards Bangkok, even if it means just turning on the television.

Exactly how I feel. Yingluck is just some puppet Lakorn actress playing her part as she is told. How easy it is for her to cry one moment and then turn around with a big old smile. Must be that acting class she took at that well known university she attended. What was that place again? Oh yeah, Kentucky State University. Best known for the American R&B and electro-funk group, Midnight Star.

I always wondered my Mark even bothers with Thai politics. He would be better off being head of some major company. He certainly doesn't need the headaches of Thai political situation. My guess is that he truly cares for Thailand and the Thai people.

Even if Yingluck steps down, PT would just place another puppet in power. Doesn't matter. Thailand is being controlled from elsewhere. So sad.

Edited by Silurian