Bike transport on pickup

MadMac

I'll eventually get a second hand ER6n. Question about transport, does the bike fit on the back of a 4 door pickup (new BT50/Ranger). Looks a bit short to me but could still work. Anyone tried to do this before? And loading wise, guess I need some ramp. 200kg is a bit heavy to lift. Any recommendations how to secure it? Thanks!

I transported a ER6N on a Hilux Vigo 4 door but wad not able to close the back completely, but lifted and fix it halfway up with straps. You can get the bike up with 3 – 4 ppl. Just lift up the front up on the pickup then the back. Once up put it on the stand and strap the bike down until front forks go in a bit. Fix it on the front forks, frame and swing arm. Use proper straps with a tightening tool/ lock.

Btw good choice the ER is a beginner friendly bike and wont get boring to quick as a 250 or 300cc.

I never put on a stand. Use ratchet straps both sides front and rear. Tighten until suspension compresses an inch or two.

That way the bike can move up and down, and pothole hits are not transmitted thru the truck bed to the bike frame, but absorbed by the suspension - just as they are when you are riding the bike.

Edited by seedy

i used to load my crf on the pick up all the time slightly lighter at 140kg ,but many times you could find a raised bit of ground that you could reverse the truck upto and wheel the bike straight on ,otherwise as others said 3-4 people can lift,dirt shop sell ramps but not to cheap.

have you bought the bike yet ,i too am looking at one, wonder if its the same one you have already nabbed maybe.

Good stuff, thanks guys.

@taninthai

Will tell you when I have it smile.png

is the one your going for down in Southern Thailand (krabi)don't worry I won't nab it from you ,as I only want a bike for local rides I am now also just considering a cbr 250 seen one locally with low km

Oh I thought you might have been a cure for the headache I have trying to decide which bike I want, decisions decisions

I had a cbr250 before i bought my ninja 650 to be honest i would have saved money if i went to the ninja straight.

That being said it really depends on your experience as there is a big difference in torque BUT if you want you can even ride a fast bike slow. If i could have done it again i would have gone for the ninja 650r straight on, but i already had some biking experience in bkk.

• Like 1

Oh I thought you might have been a cure for the headache I have trying to decide which bike I want, decisions decisions

I had a cbr250 before i bought my ninja 650 to be honest i would have saved money if i went to the ninja straight.

That being said it really depends on your experience as there is a big difference in torque BUT if you want you can even ride a fast bike slow. If i could have done it again i would have gone for the ninja 650r straight on, but i already had some biking experience in bkk.

experience not the problem ,have a 600cc hornet in uk soon to be changed to a gsxr750,problem is i lived here for 7 years ,but now split my time between uk and thailand plan to move back here full time in around 8 years be 50 years old then.

if i still lived here full time i would have no problem either buying new z800,honda 650 or there is a beautiful gsxr 600 for sale in bkk ,but obviously not willing to drop that money on a bike that is gonna sit around for 6-8months of the year,so just looking for a relatively cheap run around and there is a ninja 650 with fairings and a cbr 250 both locally to me at good prices,gonna test ride the 250 monday and decide then ,think the 250 is gonna feel way to under powered for me though as said giving me a right headache.

experience not the problem ,have a 600cc hornet in uk soon to be changed to a gsxr750,problem is i lived here for 7 years ,but now split my time between uk and thailand plan to move back here full time in around 8 years be 50 years old then.

if i still lived here full time i would have no problem either buying new z800,honda 650 or there is a beautiful gsxr 600 for sale in bkk ,but obviously not willing to drop that money on a bike that is gonna sit around for 6-8months of the year,so just looking for a relatively cheap run around and there is a ninja 650 with fairings and a cbr 250 both locally to me at good prices,gonna test ride the 250 monday and decide then ,think the 250 is gonna feel way to under powered for me though as said giving me a right headache.

Yes, that's true. And if you get one of the family using it it will be scrap metal soon smile.png. I'd not buy a new bike now.

As written in the other thread the new CB650 will be at the dealers in February. So there will be a shake up in the market, prices will certainly drop across the board. So far we only have Kawasaki and Honda coming with affordable prices. Ducati being the 3rd, that dropped prices.

That's the other thing bit scared to buy a new bike the way honda and Kawasaki have been dropping their prices lately you could lose 100k+ just like that,think the z800 and the new Hondas are pretty safe though as they are priced pretty close to uk price

The Z800 is in between Europe mainland and UK prices. The CB650 will be in the same range. Yamaha will follow. Then we have the Chinese (Bellini, Keyway)....but that's something I'd not touch.

I helped a friend load his KLX and we used a plastic stool to put the rear wheel on and then got it into the truck. I know the ER6N a bit heavier but be open to what ever is laying around to help with the loading, ever situation may not be perfect.

The ER6-N is only 1,3" longer than the CB500X...which fit into the back of an Isuzu 4 door truck. Secret is to put it in straight than cock the front end so that it ends up in a corner then slide the rear end to the opposite corner. I.E. put the front end into the left front of the bed and the rear tyre into the right rear. This distributes the weight across the bed and naturally has the bike putting more of its weight on the sidestand which helps stabilise it.

Yes, that's true. And if you get one of the family using it it will be scrap metal soon smile.png. I'd not buy a new bike now.

As written in the other thread the new CB650 will be at the dealers in February. So there will be a shake up in the market, prices will certainly drop across the board. So far we only have Kawasaki and Honda coming with affordable prices. Ducati being the 3rd, that dropped prices.

Off topic but yes, the wife's nephew proved that true Xmas eve.

Edited by Bpuumike

Any of the 500 series. You cant go wrong witb one. Cbr250 is also good if you want something economical and cheap with a decent ride but a bit boring of course.

You will see a lot of second hand ones soon as people want to change their 500s with 650s.

Back to the topic, all i know a proper big bike like kawa er does not fit a double cab truck. If you leave the bed door open, it is illegal and police can fine you.

Extra cabs are better for bike transport and still can carry 4 people. And if you have a low truck, of course it is easier to load the bike.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So, have done that exercise today. The 4-door BT-50 is a about 30cm to short to close the tailgate. But otherwise no problem. Put her on the sidestand and fixed it with all I could find. It did not move a centimeter and that were 340km.

• Like 1

So, have done that exercise today. The 4-door BT-50 is a about 30cm to short to close the tailgate. But otherwise no problem. Put her on the sidestand and fixed it with all I could find. It did not move a centimeter and that were 340km.

Its not that rocket science as some ppl here say so, isn't it? Keep it easy, logical, do it right and its fine.

You should have bought a ramp! 55555555....