4.5 year overstay

Hi all. Finally ready to take care of the visa problem tommorrow. I am so scared I feel like shitting my pants. I am going to the airport to pay my fine of 20k. Can I stay in Thailand or do I have to take a plane flight out? Assuming I am not thrown in idc? About my visa situation.. Long story but I moved here and gradually fell behind on going on the twice monthly Cambodian visa runs. I was too afraid to do anything about it for years. Now I'm ready. It's been a long time.

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don`t know about the technicalities but yes you need to leave Thailand.

Book a flight to PP as you`ve been thinking about going to Cambodia according to your other posts.

Not a pleasant situation, hope you can sort your life out.

GL

smile.png

Not everybody have English as their first language (included me:-).

One "grammar police" post deleted

To the OP, as many people say, get a flight ticket, 20.000, nice dress and don't worry

It certainly sounds like a simple process according to you. Whether it be 4.5 yrs or 9 yrs overstay and you can get to the airport 'in time' before you are caught with having no valid visa. Certainly a risky business prolonging your overstay, would you not agree?

• Like 1

A few years ago, my wife came into Thailand on her UK passport, we were both told to go through Thai Passports, the airport chaps saying "my pen rai, you are Thai".

I left the country and came back a few weeks later, then we both left the country. Upon leaving, I handed two UK passports to the Immigration chap, he stamped mine out, no problem. Then he made a huge deal about the wife being 2 days over, even telling her off in Thai about it, she was taken to the office, I had to pay the 1,000 baht etc (I did offer them more money to throw her in Jail !). But I couldn't understand why they were so pissed that she (a Thai) had overstayed, especially when they were doing all the talking in Thai.

9 years overstay, love to see that !

• Like 1

Overstay? The Suan Plu IDC, Immigration Detention Center, is a decidedly unpleasant place, crowded, smelly, sleep on the floor, not too good food, etc. Glad I've never been incarcerated there.

I was there on a visit to a Lao Hmong guy a few years ago. Saw a youngish farang guy inside with I suppose his Thai wife on the outside of the bars. She was sliding in a couple plates of food in to him while the two boys, 3-5 years old (?), played around. Not a pretty scene.

Mac

• Like 1

A few years ago, my wife came into Thailand on her UK passport, we were both told to go through Thai Passports, the airport chaps saying "my pen rai, you are Thai".

I left the country and came back a few weeks later, then we both left the country. Upon leaving, I handed two UK passports to the Immigration chap, he stamped mine out, no problem. Then he made a huge deal about the wife being 2 days over, even telling her off in Thai about it, she was taken to the office, I had to pay the 1,000 baht etc (I did offer them more money to throw her in Jail !). But I couldn't understand why they were so pissed that she (a Thai) had overstayed, especially when they were doing all the talking in Thai.

9 years overstay, love to see that !

" (I did offer them more money to throw her in Jail !). "

What a great idea next time i am in that situation i will do the same!!

I don't know the circumstances, but I have huge difficulty believing that anybody could possibly overstay 4+ years and not have resolved to do something positive about his situation well before now.

OP, can you tell how this actually happened? Why did you not do something before now?

• Like 1

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make sure you have the 20,000 baht ready in crisp 1,000 bills. I know someone who had a 9-year overstay (yes, nine) and had to return to the US to sort out an inheritance matter (death of his mother). He paid the 20k, no questions asked, spent 3 months in the US and then returned to Thailand with no visa, getting 1 month on arrival, again no questions asked despite his 9-year overstay. This was about 2 years ago, and as far as I know he's still in Thailand now and has not made a visa run in the past 2 years. Overstay is no big deal, as long as you keep a low profile.

this story really does prove the incompetence of the immigration dept' in LOS who are only interested in the cash...

I don't know the circumstances, but I have huge difficulty believing that anybody could possibly overstay 4+ years and not have resolved to do something positive about his situation well before now.

OP, can you tell how this actually happened? Why did you not do something before now?

The OP may have considered it a positive move to overstay given whatever personal situation he was in.

Sorry, I forget what i paid every 90 days. say 1900 baht. you saved 34,200 there. but 20,000 fine, up 14,200. but you saved tons of time and other expenses. going to Laos isn't that cheap, i think i spent 14,000 baht for 4-5 days on everything.

but you had the stress of someone either telling on you, or every cop you saw might ask. or something else. that stress is about a million baht.

anyhow, good on you for posting. it's all good, life goes on. and remember, worse things can always happen.

like this 7-days of death driving over the holidays.

• Like 2

The OP may have considered it a positive move to overstay given whatever personal situation he was in.

His opening post, "Long story but I moved here and gradually fell behind on going on the twice monthly Cambodian visa runs. I was too afraid to do anything about it for years", implies otherwise.

I agree with jaapfries post, " Not only that, but it also shows a real lack of any kind of respect for the laws of this Kingdom !"

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1