4.5 year overstay

4 year overstay, you actually think that they will let you back in? My guess is that you will be persona non grata for 5 years.

I hate when guys like you make comments on things you have not experience yourself or have direct knowledge. The OP is looking for help from

people that have direct experience. You are talking about something you have not experienced and have no idea what will happen. You are scaring him with what you think will happen. Thaivisa is about helping, not acting superior and commenting on things you don't know.

OP don't worry, I helped a friend a year ago that was a little over 2 years overstay. I took him to the airport, gave him the money for the fee. We went to Laos to get him a tourist visa. He was down on his luck. We were back in Thailand 2 days later with no issues.

From the immigration line he was taken to a small desk. He said the guys were really nice and asked him why he over stayed and before he could answer they said you forget? he said yes. They asked if he needed a receipt he said no, they laughed and said ok. Stamped his passport and was done. I expected a long drawn out procedure and was surprised when he called me asking where I was in the terminal in less than 10 minutes. No police check to see if there were any issue (as one poster speculated) he was very happy and re-leaved. He did have a stamp in his passport and this was not an issue in Laos with getting a tourist visa.

From my direct experience you don't need to worry, it is an issue to overstay and I don't recommend it, but the guys at the airport where good.

I hope you can get things turned around. I wish you all the best!

totally agree, all these scaremonger dont know ! they should just butt out if they dont have any helpfull comments.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It continues to amaze me how forgiving Thailand is in the case of long overstayers.

I don't wish to judge anyone being in that situation but as the past has told us, things can change over night snd you may lose all you have 'built' in Thailand, so consider your actions carefully before overstaying.

I don't know the circumstances, but I have huge difficulty believing that anybody could possibly overstay 4+ years and not have resolved to do something positive about his situation well before now.

OP, can you tell how this actually happened? Why did you not do something before now?

Why is that difficult, even you say hugely difficult???

Had a Brit in the village with "unknown" years of overstay.

We lived there for 4 years when the cigs (80x day) and the beers (10 bottles of chang/day) got the better of him.

I won't give you the details of how he died, you won't believe that neither whistling.gif

Edit: at least he did not pay a fortune to immigration, 5555

Edited by tartempion

We all know (Or should know) the saying:

'If you cant face the time, dont do the crime'

Its that simple in reality. And one should always have an emergency fund so that one can get out of country if required, sure its easy to say but how many times do we read of people whom are down on their luck? The majority of the time it hasnt got a lot to do with luck, its more of a case of poor decisions or lack of planning.

I dont profess to know everyones problems and nor do I wish to, however a lot of Western countries ( ie our birth countries) do have a better welfare system than Thailand. Should I find myself in dire straits (Not the band), then Id jump on a plane and head back.... Ive paid enough of my taxes to the NZ Government and would have no qualms in 'claiming' some of it back.

To those that help out these overstayers I say that its a very nice thing to do, but I do wish that the culprits also got a kick in the arse. This sort of thing (Overstaying) only makes it more difficult for those whom wish to stay in this country. By that I refer to the constant changes being made to visa rules. Its appears to be getting more difficult or bureaucratic every year and foreign law breakers dont help matters.

Ok thats my sixpence worth...

Edited by CMKiwi

Not everybody have English as their first language (included me:-).

One "grammar police" post deleted

To the OP, as many people say, get a flight ticket, 20.000, nice dress and don't worry

It certainly sounds like a simple process according to you. Whether it be 4.5 yrs or 9 yrs overstay and you can get to the airport 'in time' before you are caught with having no valid visa. Certainly a risky business prolonging your overstay, would you not agree?

Not only that, but it also shows a real lack of any kind of respect for the laws of this Kingdom !

So you respect the laws of the kingdom do you?

Because you are a tiny minority here and i am including the Thai population corruption is the rule like it or not.

• Like 1

I´ve managed that in Feb. 2013 in Phuket (airport) for a friend with 10 month overstay.

He had to pay THB 20,000.- (+ THB 2,000.- pocket money).

It took about 15 min. longer than a normal departure.

You can return to Thailand, but you need a ticket and you must have checked in already !

Edited by Bagsida

It's a game of chance with over stayers now sometimes ok sometimes not

4.5years could be a problem with an anal Immgration officer

I'd enjoy the new year first if I was you

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I know someone who didn't have a current passport. Overstayed years until he pissed someone off and they shopped him. He spent some time locked up until he could get the fine and airfair. He went home. He's back here and again doing the illegal stuff he was doing before.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make sure you have the 20,000 baht ready in crisp 1,000 bills. I know someone who had a 9-year overstay (yes, nine) and had to return to the US to sort out an inheritance matter (death of his mother). He paid the 20k, no questions asked, spent 3 months in the US and then returned to Thailand with no visa, getting 1 month on arrival, again no questions asked despite his 9-year overstay. This was about 2 years ago, and as far as I know he's still in Thailand now and has not made a visa run in the past 2 years. Overstay is no big deal, as long as you keep a low profile.

I agree with your opinion however overstaying is one matter but the risk is if the police need to see your passport at any time for some reason, perhaps a trafic infringement etc. Once they see you haven't a visa then it's the lock up followed by deportation. When you are deported the record of that stays in the RTPI database. Whether you can re-enter or not depends on the competence of Immigration Officer i.e. the place where you enter.

I'm really hoping to see a conclusion to this story. While I have never been in a position where I have overstayed a visa in any country, I do know several people who are currently on overstays of many years. Each of them has a tale to tell. They are all actually quite sad stories. After a while, time makes it seem negligible. It is easier and cheaper to remain complacent. I don't agree that it should be this way. I am just stating that this is the way it appears for the people I know who are in this position. The three people I know in this situation are really in bad shape financially. They work at the lower end of the job market taking whatever jobs they can get. They bounce from one job to another, as they don't seem stable enough to maintain a job for any length of time. Their passports have long since expired. They all have children in the country. They might be able to get together enough for the fine; however, they never have enough money to take care of the passport, airplane ticket, and fine at once. Ironically, they are all British nationals. Each of them worries about the passport process and if they will somehow get 'caught' while in the process of applying for a new passport. Despite me trying to assure them that they must begin somewhere by getting a new passport, they refuse.

I'm really hoping to see a conclusion to this story. While I have never been in a position where I have overstayed a visa in any country, I do know several people who are currently on overstays of many years. Each of them has a tale to tell. They are all actually quite sad stories. After a while, time makes it seem negligible. It is easier and cheaper to remain complacent. I don't agree that it should be this way. I am just stating that this is the way it appears for the people I know who are in this position. The three people I know in this situation are really in bad shape financially. They work at the lower end of the job market taking whatever jobs they can get. They bounce from one job to another, as they don't seem stable enough to maintain a job for any length of time. Their passports have long since expired. They all have children in the country. They might be able to get together enough for the fine; however, they never have enough money to take care of the passport, airplane ticket, and fine at once. Ironically, they are all British nationals. Each of them worries about the passport process and if they will somehow get 'caught' while in the process of applying for a new passport. Despite me trying to assure them that they must begin somewhere by getting a new passport, they refuse.

Overstay and illegal working seem to often go together.

Unlike some I have difficulty in finding any excuse/sympathy for these people. They are right to "worry" about being caught .........................Jail awaits !

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 2

why is it stupid comment??

some people live in the out of the way villages,never come to the big citys

i have several friends who are on 5 or 6 years overstay

no family in the out side world,they all read & write thai

their happy're that a pig in a mud hole

I also had a friend that was on 5 years overstay when he was arrested, jailed for a time, heavily fined then deported with a red stamp.

How does a person even function in Thailand without a valid visa/permission to stay? How do you buy or rent a car or motorbike, rent a house or apartment, no $#!t your pants every time you see a checkpoint ahead? One can't possibly have much of a life. People are routinely arrested on overstay here in Phuket, and several people living upcountry have posted about receiving visits from police and immigration checking their status.

It took all of 36 posts for the first "let him who is without sin cast the first stone" argument to appear.

Sure, everyone breaks the law now and then. Sometimes we don't even know we are doing it.

But there is a big difference between flicking a cigarette butt into the gutter, and dumping a truck load of them outside the Royal Palace.

Much the same difference between letting your visa slip a couple of days beyond its expiry, and going 4.5 years overstay.

As 'guests' in the Kingdom of Thailand, it screams blatant disrespect, whatever the circumstances.

Took 44 post for the hang him high people to come out buch of narcissists. and for the people who can not understand it means

• Detesting those who do not admire them (narcissistic abuse)
  • Using other people without considering the cost of doing so
  • Pretending to be more important than they really are
  • Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating their achievements
  • Claiming to be an "expert" at many things
  • Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people
  • Like 2

It took all of 36 posts for the first "let him who is without sin cast the first stone" argument to appear.

Sure, everyone breaks the law now and then. Sometimes we don't even know we are doing it.

But there is a big difference between flicking a cigarette butt into the gutter, and dumping a truck load of them outside the Royal Palace.

Much the same difference between letting your visa slip a couple of days beyond its expiry, and going 4.5 years overstay.

As 'guests' in the Kingdom of Thailand, it screams blatant disrespect, whatever the circumstances.

I don't think you really understand that overstay here by farang is little compared to the hundreds of thousands of Lao Burmese and Cambodians who try to support there family's survival by working here on illegal entries.What difference is there their?

Wake up.

• Like 1

I don't think you really understand that overstay here by farang is little compared to the hundreds of thousands of Lao Burmese and Cambodians who try to support there family's survival by working here on illegal entries.What difference is there their?

Wake up.

Asking that question is a sure sign of a "farang" needing to return homesmile.png

Edited by Sceptict11

I certainly wouldn't want to be here without a valid visa given the capricious nature of officialdom here.

Detention in a Thai facility can be a very nasty experience even for a very short period of time.

Many a farang has come undone in Thailand because they got slack and lazy and bypassed laws.

And when you do that you leave your self open to any opportunist to take advantage.

That could mean all sorts of things from extortion to violence to gaol time to absolutely nothing at all.

I prefer not to take unecessay chances,

I have had the experience of overstaying in Thailand for about six months. It was not due to lack of personal diligence but to my passport expiring -- and hence my Thai residence visa since visas are only valid up to the passport's expiry date -- and to my embassy not providing me with a new one on account of a spurious judicial case against me in my home country which was subsequently dismissed in its totality . Upon getting my new passport I went to the Thai immigration and explained the case. They were sympathetic but indicated that their rules do not provide for my case and was told that the only way out was to exit Thailand and pay THB 20 K at the airport. They added I would have no problem in getting a visa on my return to Thailand. So I went to the airport, paid the sum, no questions asked, the processing went smoothly and quickly ( about ten mins. ), was out of Thailand for a month, returned and obtained a new one-year visa without any problem.

For those in this forum that are quick to blame the lawbreakers, please note : THERE ARE AT TIMES LEGITIMATE AND UNAVOIDABLE GROUNDS TO OVERSTAY , and by extension, to break laws. Legal systems have many loopholes which can either turn out to work positively or negatively depending on circumstances; the complexity increases when, as in my case, one has to deal with two legal systems that were not only not conceived to work in coordination but which furthermore intently ignored each other, with the affected person left in the middle to bear their disfunctions.

"spurious judicial case"

yes but isnt this always the case? No body ever says "I couldn't get my passport renewed because I robbed the post office"

Even if you were legit laugh.png why post it? your case is so remote its not worth the effort

I have had the experience of overstaying in Thailand for about six months. It was not due to lack of personal diligence but to my passport expiring -- and hence my Thai residence visa since visas are only valid up to the passport's expiry date -- and to my embassy not providing me with a new one on account of a spurious judicial case against me in my home country which was subsequently dismissed in its totality . Upon getting my new passport I went to the Thai immigration and explained the case. They were sympathetic but indicated that their rules do not provide for my case and was told that the only way out was to exit Thailand and pay THB 20 K at the airport. They added I would have no problem in getting a visa on my return to Thailand. So I went to the airport, paid the sum, no questions asked, the processing went smoothly and quickly ( about ten mins. ), was out of Thailand for a month, returned and obtained a new one-year visa without any problem.

For those in this forum that are quick to blame the lawbreakers, please note : THERE ARE AT TIMES LEGITIMATE AND UNAVOIDABLE GROUNDS TO OVERSTAY , and by extension, to break laws. Legal systems have many loopholes which can either turn out to work positively or negatively depending on circumstances; the complexity increases when, as in my case, one has to deal with two legal systems that were not only not conceived to work in coordination but which furthermore intently ignored each other, with the affected person left in the middle to bear their disfunctions.

"spurious judicial case"

yes but isnt this always the case? No body ever says "I couldn't get my passport renewed because I robbed the post office"

Even if you were legit xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.W9oTakjBs5.webp alt=laugh.png pagespeed_url_hash=4020895376 width=20 height=20> why post it? your case is so remote its not worth the effort

Here are the USA reasons for denying a passport.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/ilink/docView/22CFR/HTML/22CFR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2898/0-0-0-3335.html

A one way "home" only travel document would have been available ! Had that been taken overstay would have been avoided !smile.png

"spurious judicial case"

Even if you were legit laugh.png why post it? your case is so remote its not worth the effort

One time I was informed that I had an over 300 day overstay! The nice and helpful Immigration officer directed me to another Immigration Office and once at the second Immigration office, were very understanding that it was an unintentional mistake on my behalf, they issued me with a 30 day extension and sorted the problem for me.The fine that I had to pay was about Baht 3,000

All done without having to leave Thailand. I did make a phone call to Thai embassy in PP and they were willing to issue a new visa on the same day as I applied for it. Basically arrive into and leave Cambodia on the same day.

Don't always assume that the person in the wrong is ready for character assassination

Wake up.

Asking that question is a sure sign of a "farang" needing to return homesmile.png

I did and came back again,bought the t-shirt as well wink.png as for your comment jail awaits...it doesn't! IDC is where you stay until you can sort things out and after you ignoring my earlier honest appraisal of the overstay situation which is far far greater from the people of neighboring countries ...you have never been there either.....i hope you never will.

Ignorance is bliss for the opinionated smile.png

If I was in that position, I'd be on the doorstep of the Thai authorities one day into the overstay, or before if that had been possible, explaining why I couldn't leave/extend my visa, but that's just me.

Perhaps I have a greater appreciation of 'doing the right thing' than many.

Do not let yourself influence by any of the replies. NOBODY can tell you what will happen. Sure, it's a very simple procedure and in practice it probably will. However, you might find on your departure a pissed off immigration officer which will make a lot of trouble for you.

Again, NOBODY can predict what happens with 100% guarantee of good sailing.

Good luck though.

About a week ago, I went for my regular 90-day visit to Immigration and for the first time (in 10 years) I saw the Officer processing it through the computer. Surely this means they can monitor over-stayers as, when the 90 day visit or other visa limitations are due and the foreigner doesn't show, it can be programmed to flash up on the screen - constantly - until he DOES show.

When he doesn't, he is emailed or telephoned or contacted in some way through his last known address.

It is going to get more difficult playing Russian Roulette with the Immigration Authorities in Thailand as articles in these pages remind us.

If I was an Immigration Officer, I would interpret an overstay of more than a month, (unless there was some damned good reason, backed up by evidence) a serious violation that seems to give the impression the foreigner doesn't care about the Immigration laws or their consequences when flagrantly disregarded.

Yes, I am a goody-goody when it comes to my paperwork - I hate unnecessary trouble!

If I was in that position, I'd be on the doorstep of the Thai authorities one day into the overstay, or before if that had been possible, explaining why I couldn't leave/extend my visa, but that's just me.

Perhaps I have a greater appreciation of 'doing the right thing' than many.

Hear, hear! Yes, that IS the right thing to do! I would do exactly the same. If an over-stayer has good reason and doesn't tell Immigration of his special circumstances as soon as his visit is due, then they don't know and might perceive them as no better than the "no show". It is better to prevent a problem than to wait until there IS a problem.

• Like 1

Good luck

In this scenario what do you mean by "an anal Immgration officer" ?

Sorry, I don't understand.

Good luck

In this scenario what do you mean by "an anal Immgration officer" ?

Sorry, I don't understand.

m

Meaning any chance they get to make a problem out of this for u they will..

But as stated u will probably be Ok..

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app