Easy way to connect wifi to PC via USB android/iphone?

rikki

How does one connect a computer(xp) via USB to a phone to use the wifi?

Do you use an app? which one is free and easy?

Do you need to download software to put on the PC?

Would prefer to use iphone but can use android if its much better

You can "tether" a PC via USB or Bluetooth to an Android phone, and then use it as a sort of dial-up modem, utilizing the phone's 3G connection. You cannot share/use the phone's WiFi interface from the PC. You can get a USB WiFi adapter for a reasonable price: I keep a model like this on hand for trouble-shooting: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/adapters/dwa-130-wireless-n-usb-adapter

Obviously you will face some challenges: USB drivers, recognizing the modem, getting a SIM, adding money, subscribing to a plan, configuring the phone, etc.

For me Win 7/64 it was easy but understand there are many steps and challenges.

In your Android device go to Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Tethering & portable hotspot, choose USB tethering (available if your phone is successfully connected).

Edited by lomatopo

I have an old Win-XP notebook and tried tethering it to my Android phone just to see if I could. Result was nothing but frustration. My old notebook also does not have WiFi built in. I use an SMC wireless network adapter that runs off a USB port and it accesses the WiFi signal with no problems once it's set up.

The adapters are in the B1000 range at Pantip and Fortune. They look like a thumb drive.

Turn on the personal hotspot in iPhone settings and then look in wifi list on pc and select the iPhone, enter password and bingo

Tried that, but still no wireless network connections icon in the network connections folder

Looks like I need a usb wifi stick

Turn on the personal hotspot in iPhone settings and then look in wifi list on pc and select the iPhone, enter password and bingo

Tried that, but still no wireless network connections icon in the network connections folder

Looks like I need a usb wifi stick

If u don't have a wifi adapter then it won't show a wireless connection, plug in the USB cable turn in personal hotspot and then it should show in the network connections