Is my fuse box grounded properly?

Gulfsailor

Question:

Isn't Safe-T-Cut a brand name the same as "Square D"? Don't Safe-T-Cut make standard circuit breakers with the name printed on them and they are not RCBOs?

Just because the breaker has Safe-T- Cut printed on it doesn't mean it is an RCBO. IMHO use of the name "Safe-T-Cut" in place of RCBO or GFI(American) is actually misleading.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Safe-T-Cut a brand name the same as "Square D"? Don't Safe-T-Cut make standard circuit breakers with the name printed on them and they are not RCBOs?

Just because the breaker has Safe-T- Cut printed on it doesn't mean it is an RCBO. IMHO use of the name "Safe-T-Cut" in place of RCBO or GFI(American) is actually misleading.

Yes and yes.

Safe-T-Cut actually appear to be the only supplier of dedicated front-end RCBOs in Thailand.

The name Safe-T-Cut has become synonymous in Thailand with front-end RCBO units, like hoover in the UK invariably means 'vacuum cleaner' even though Hoover themselves make many types of domestic appliance.

Ask a Thai domestic electrician to install a Safe-T-Cut and he will likely understand what you want, ask him to install an RCBO and you will likely get a blank look.

Not an ideal situation but when needs must....

The only reason that I brought it up is that there are many who read this forum and don't really know much about electrics. If they open their CU and see a bank of breakers with "Safe-T-cut" printed on them it does not mean that they are RCBOs, they could just be standard breakers and they really don't have the protection that they should have.

As far as PEA and inspections, where I live, it's a joke. When I built my house, before construction started, they came an installed a 15/45 meter on the last pole on my road and from that point on it was "up to me"! I set two more poles installed a temp CU during construction and connected everything myself after the house was finished. There were never any inspections and the only time I've seen anybody from PEA during the past 15 years was the numerous times that the sugar cane trucks have broken the line that crosses the road.

Talking about RCD and RCBO. I checked RS Online as per recommended above. I couldn't find any dedicated RCD or RCCD similar to safe t cut has, but several rail mounted ones. A 63A 30mA rail mounted RCD is half the price if a safety cut. What is safe t cut offering extra? Also looked into individual RCBO's, but there is a choice of hundreds, so will have read up on the choices there. Do only square D brand fit my square D panel? Or others as well? And what type of protection do I need (type A, B or C)?

OK, the front end units from Safe-T-Cut are RCBOs earth leakage and overload.

You can go to HomePro and get an ABB RCD (overload is provided by your existing incoming MCB) and a little plastic DIN rail box for it for much less than a Safe-T-Cut, an easy install on a TT system.

Like this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693636-are-there-compulsory-rules-for-grounding-electrical-devices/?p=7246403

I think Haco do plug-in devices that fit in the Square-D boards, but RCD / RCBO are dashed expensive sad.png

I would be replacing that 100A incomer with a 63A too as you're only on a 15/45 meter.

OK, the front end units from Safe-T-Cut are RCBOs earth leakage and overload.

You can go to HomePro and get an ABB RCD (overload is provided by your existing incoming MCB) and a little plastic DIN rail box for it for much less than a Safe-T-Cut, an easy install on a TT system.

Like this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693636-are-there-compulsory-rules-for-grounding-electrical-devices/?p=7246403

I think Haco do plug-in devices that fit in the Square-D boards, but RCD / RCBO are dashed expensive sad.png

I would be replacing that 100A incomer with a 63A too as you're only on a 15/45 meter.

Ok thanks! Last question. If I can use a front end RCD together with a standard existing MCB (although changed to lighter), why do I still need the MCB if I install a front end RCBO? Isn't an RCBO basically an RCD and MCB in one?

Ok thanks! Last question. If I can use a front end RCD together with a standard existing MCB (although changed to lighter), why do I still need the MCB if I install a front end RCBO? Isn't an RCBO basically an RCD and MCB in one?

You are correct that if you install a Safe-T-Cut RCBO you don't NEED the existing incoming MCB, but replacing it isn't worth the hassle.

If you go the cheap route and use an RCD you DO need to retain the incoming MCB.

Ok. Local sparky just made a housecall. Nice funny guy. He had heard of RCBO's but never installed one. When I explained the need he just giggled and explained no need on Samui. Now my gf thinks it is a waist of money, as we never had a problem before. I convinced her its like a helmet for a motorbike. You don't need it until something goes wrong.

Anyway he noticed that the house has no cut out switch. So meter is directly connected to MCB. Will have that installed as well. Sparky thought he could do that first without PEA cutting electric to the house, but will ask PEA to cut it anyway. Sparky is husband of girfriend's friend, so having this guy die on this will spoil the next get together somewhat...

Anyway now looking for a square D 63A RCBO to replace current 100A MCB on the board. Online I can so far only find RCCD of 63A.

Thanks again for all the input guys! I will keep you updated.

I just found this online; http://www.ebigthailand.com/detail.php?id=474&goto=/search.php

Should fit as replacement of my MCB right?

Actually pretty cheap there! Other stuff also much cheaper than at HomePro.

Hmmm. They also sell 63A safe t cut for a mere THB 2600. Now I am tempted to just install that in stead of changing MCB inside box. It's a rental house.

Your meter should be connected directly to the MCB in your present installation, there is no need for an in line cutoff/knife switch! What is the guy suggesting?

Oh. Ok. But then how can one safely replace an MCB? Rubber sandals?

It's only the main MCB that needs the rubber sandals, the others you can turn off the incomer and be safe.

Whilst wayne is correct there is no reason not to have a master switch that will isolate the incoming supply, makes it easier to work on your installation safely.

I'll wait and see what sparky quotes to put in a master switch.

But now knowing that a safe t cut is same price as RCBO to replace MCB, I will install safe t cut. Can I change setting on that, so I put it on 30mA now, but later to 100mA if I want to add individual RCBO's to some groups at 30mA?

And do I have to replace my current too heavy 100A MCB with 63A if I put safe t cut in front, or can I just leave it. That would be the easiest.

Safe-T-Cut units are adjustable, not sure if you can get them that go to 100mA mind need to check with them.

Since it's an RCBO no need to replace that 100A incomer if you install a 63A Safe-T-Cut.

• Like 1

RS do 100 mA RCBO with time adjustments.

You could set up something portable where you go to property to property, with a main 100mA RCD on a din rail with a couple of RCBO 30mA feeding your critical circuits

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

TBH you are fine with 30mA front end in rentalsSent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok. Thanks for the continued advice! All safe t cuts I can see online have range max 30mA. The one for sale at Ebig is a CS special version (I guess similar to OEM) and can't find any specs of it anywhere online. But hey at only THB 2600, I can take a gamble and see what's in the box.

The thais take the tails out of the meter to isolate. Not recommended. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm half Welsh and half Swedish and an American citizen but there must have been a Thai in the woodshed as that's how I do it!

My Safe-T-Cut arrived today, along with a whole bunch of grounded outlets. I promised Crossy the manual. So her you go! Just one sheet with very tiny installation diagram. All in Thai though. What I don't get is that it connects the N and E. Should I omit that connection. But then the RCBO itself is not grounded.

post-90962-0-75328400-1389615585_thumb.j

post-90962-0-29428700-1389616063_thumb.j

post-90962-0-43695100-1389616098_thumb.j